Civic Si against the competition?

ericc191

Dallas
Vehicle Model
Honda Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
So when I was in the market for a new car, I had told myself "not another Honda." I test drove the WRX, the GTI, the Focus ST, and the Mazdaspeed 3.

Believe it or not, I was sold on the GTI. It has a lot of cool features, feels really fast, and turns heads. When I sat down to negotiate, they wanted over 200 more a month for the performance package GTI. This consisted of new rims, sunroof, touch screen stereo, and steering wheel controls. They wouldn't budge and wanted to get me the base GTI with none of that for $375 /mo.

I ended up getting the Si because it was only $329 a month and I got all the amenities I wanted.

I'm glad I went this route. A lot of people say the VWs have really bad and expensive reliability issues.

With all that said, how does the Civic fair against the competition when comparing reliability, practicality, ect.?

Everyone that I know that have volkswagon's have had problems with em' granted they were early 2000 models. I don't personally like their styling-interior or exterior. My sister in law had a 12' passat, traded for a 12' jetta. Interior looks so bland and dated IMO. Don't know about the GTI's though.

Even if they were all the same brand Honda is the only naturally aspirated one which is more reliable and has no turbo lag. Close call for the others all turbo and similar prices, I prefer the Honda ;) Price wise you get more for the Honda than the others for sure.

I've had 2 GTI's over the years... the most fun and biggest POS's I've ever owned. And every year, at the auto show, like a moth to the flame I visit the VW display. Luckily last year my kids pulled me out just before I blacked out and bought one. :police:

They usually hold their resale value above most brands, and they also rank among the highest in reliability.

I've had 2 GTI's over the years... the most fun and biggest POS's I've ever owned. And every year, at the auto show, like a moth to the flame I visit the VW display. Luckily last year my kids pulled me out just before I blacked out and bought one. :police:

Yeah the new 14 GTI looks so beautiful. And as far as the interior goes, I thought it was pretty luxurious.

Turbo lag, I don't think I've ever experienced it or if I did, I didn't realize I was. Plus with the GTI you can apparently flash the ECU for an instant 255hp 250tq, which is pretty awesome. However everyone is right, you can't beat the Si in terms of price to value and amenities ratio.

I'm happy I went with the Si again, just felt like trying something new for a change.

The Mazda was a monster, but felt so dated and cheap. Same with the WRX..looked like it was 2001 again inside the car. As for the Focus ST, it was great, but I felt the interior was a little claustrophobic and..it's a Ford.

Only cars that currently interest me are as follow. '13 Subaru BRZ, '13 Civic Si Coupe, and an '08 Mitsubishi Evo X. Something about the 9th Gen keeps pulling me in and out of a decision. It's really starting to annoy my fiance. Haha.

..side note. Friend of mine, new member, just traded his '09 FA5 for a '12 FB6. While still owning his FA5, we ran it against another friends '12 Golf R, which I was driving, and it, surprisingly, kept up until higher speeds.
Seems like these Hondas always have a trick up their sleeves. I know while driving my previous '09 FA5, I felt so.

..side note. Friend of mine, new member, just traded his '09 FA5 for a '12 FB6. While still owning his FA5, we ran it against another friends '12 Golf R, which I was driving, and it, surprisingly, kept up until higher speeds.
Seems like these Hondas always have a trick up their sleeves. I know while driving my previous '09 FA5, I felt so.

It kept up with a golf r?! Damn..
And isn't the 8th gen si faster than the 9th stock for stock?

It kept up with a golf r?! Damn..
And isn't the 8th gen si faster than the 9th stock for stock?
Yeah, I was pretty shocked to see him rolling next to me at first, but the higher the speed, the more we pulled on it.
We did have two extra people in the car, and it's considerably heavier, but still.. Would've been no contest from a dig, but that little bit just further showed FWD cars remain Highway Queens. Haha.

Traded in my 12 si about a month ago due to finding out my fiancé is pregnant. I really enjoyed the cars k24 and the interior was clean. Picked up a 13 wrx hatch and I'm loving it. performance is great, car really picks up and handles very well. Interior is dated and the stereo is crap but it is such a fun car to drive! I wanted the sedan but... At the very least, we have a family car now! Haha

Does it have turbo lag?

And why does no one talk about the Sentra SER

Sat in a '13 WRX Sedan at this past Chicago Autoshow, and walked out hating the car based on the interior alone.
The Evolution holds you close, and wraps around you, while the WRX leaves you sitting a bit awkward.
Then again, my opinions are a bit biased because I've always preferred smaller "Sportscars". ..can't stand back seats. Haha.

I could have swore I saw one the other day in the new body style.

I was considering the SER spec-v, which has very similar specs and price, but it is just so ugly...I couldn't get over how ugly it was

Interior was not high on the priority list. In this price range most interior will consist of descent seats and lots of hard plastic. I enjoy the extra room and like that the dash is not the size of a kitchen table like in the si. I do hate that it is 5 spd. Doing 70 mph I'm at around 32k rpm, so mpg is only around 24 highway. And yes, takes a second for spool but once it hits, it comes hard. Also the damn thing rattles like crazy and it's annoying!!

I used to own a Volkswagen Jetta VR6, was the worst car I ever owned. It was my first and only move away from a long history with Honda/Acura. The Volkswagen didn't even make it off warranty and the issues started, horrible to work on (non-standard OBD, over engineered components, etc), super expensive parts, and very poor dealer customer service. Ending up getting rid of it in a trade in. What I really appreciate about Honda/Acura is that they seem to build cars for those of us that like working on cars.

Back