Engine knock

Mikeorock

queens, ny
Vehicle Model
civic si
Body Style
coupe
b0a7f0bbd9c6c0535dfbf99cd002ba51.jpg

Im getting a little worried here.. I have the prl turbo kit .. Got the car tuned and im trying to get familiar with flash pro.. I see alot of knocks.. Im pushing 450 hp.. What do you guys think?? Im thinking of using vit again because my tuner lives kind of far and isnt really cooperating with me..
I just need to get a little educated about engine knock and can a retune fix it or can it be mechanical.. Any info would be great..

I wouldn't consider that a lot... How long were you driving and under what type of conditions? Also, other noise can fool the knock sensor sometimes...

^ Truth

On turbo kits you want to dig a bit deeper -- where is it happening, how frequently and is it repeated (IE, is it under boost in the same spot(s) over and over, is it just one random count across multiple pulls, or several counts in the same spot on a couple pulls?). @ 450hp your margin for error is basically non existent on these motors.

Well i datalog it and when i go to tead the recording, the knock counts are already there.. Before i even start driving..
I just got off the phone with my tuner, he said he set the egnition limit to be a little sensitive for safety..

^ Truth

On turbo kits you want to dig a bit deeper -- where is it happening, how frequently and is it repeated (IE, is it under boost in the same spot(s) over and over, is it just one random count across multiple pulls, or several counts in the same spot on a couple pulls?). @ 450hp your margin for error is basically non existent on these motors.
I will do more logs at high then low speeds to see when they happen.. However i would like a second opinion.. Ofcourse ill pay... Also my emissions check light comes on and off.. I noticed it went off when i took off and tightened the gas cap back on.. This is what the civics manual said. Does this put the car in limp mode??

In a little afraid to go to the track next week under these conditions.. Someimes the car sounds a little rough at idle.. Sloppy.. So im just concerned.. My tuner is highly reputable.. I wont say his name but im sure you heard of him vit...
Vit if your are interested in taking a look, i would appreciate it.. Maybe we can talk through email so i can give you further details..

In a little afraid to go to the track next week under these conditions.. Someimes the car sounds a little rough at idle.. Sloppy.. So im just concerned.. My tuner is highly reputable.. I wont say his name but im sure you heard of him vit...
Vit if your are interested in taking a look, i would appreciate it.. Maybe we can talk through email so i can give you further details..
I'd shoot him a pm to make sure he sees your message.

I wouldn't consider that a lot... How long were you driving and under what type of conditions? Also, other noise can fool the knock sensor sometimes...
It was about a 10 minute data log.. I see them on other logs as well..i was driving light and hard on this log.i wanted to study what sensors work and when..so kncock is a common thing?? I would think it beats on your engine .. Good info .. Thanks.. It also worries me because the car sounds rough on idle.. I wish it were cleaner..

Since Vit replied, I'd listen to what he says as he has a ton of experience with these exact setups...

Also, you are running 450 hp on a fully stock engine? Then I agree with vit, no room for any mistakes....you may want to go ahead and get with vit about getting tuned jsut to be sure

I will do more logs at high then low speeds to see when they happen.. However i would like a second opinion.. Ofcourse ill pay... Also my emissions check light comes on and off.. I noticed it went off when i took off and tightened the gas cap back on.. This is what the civics manual said. Does this put the car in limp mode??

Shoot me some logs to my email. Ignition limit being too sensitive won't/shouldn't cause knock, would actually do the opposite. That's beside the point, shouldn't be using that logic on a turbo car (or any 9th gen) as it's not reliable and there is a more reliable way to tune the ignition timing with the new comp tables.

Shoot me some logs to my email. Ignition limit being too sensitive won't/shouldn't cause knock, would actually do the opposite. That's beside the point, shouldn't be using that logic on a turbo car (or any 9th gen) as it's not reliable and there is a more reliable way to tune the ignition timing with the new comp tables.
Ok will do.. Thanks alot

Talked to vit today... Thank god i did... Seems like i got a week attempt at a tune from my tuner... Lazy? or not experienced with our cars?? I dont know.. The guy is widley known... But I feel confident that vit is the best man for the job when working on our cars.. Where as other tuners work on a variety of different cars and dont have as much experience on our particular car.. Vit knows flashpro very well obviously..
Thanks for all your help guys... I appreciate it.. Ill keep you all posted on how it goes if your interested.. And im sure ill have more questions in the future as im starting to grasp all this craziness...

Talked to vit today... Thank god i did... Seems like i got a week attempt at a tune from my tuner... Lazy? or not experienced with our cars?? I dont know.. The guy is widley known... But I feel confident that vit is the best man for the job when working on our cars.. Where as other tuners work on a variety of different cars and dont have as much experience on our particular car.. Vit knows flashpro very well obviously..
Thanks for all your help guys... I appreciate it.. Ill keep you all posted on how it goes if your interested.. And im sure ill have more questions in the future as im starting to grasp all this craziness...

All I know is my car is insanely better 20 tune maps in and still tuning

So the tune wasn't very good?
The car ran fast and felt nice from what i can see.. But somethings i didnt feel good about. but he basically used what vit had already put in my ecu and didnt change it.. He changed other things that werent really safe.. And he didnt even touch on certain parameters.. Basically a half *** tune.. To get the car running fast but not as efficient as it should be.. Vit tried to explain what he did but i only understood about 25% of it because in still learning haha..

I didnt want to tell the tuners name but vit already knew who did it from what he saw on the data log hahaha

I didnt want to tell the tuners name but vit already knew who did it from what he saw on the data log hahaha

Hands down for 9th gen civics, Vit is the best option, if you want to take the time and put forth some effort you get way more bang for your buck than anywhere else

Back