This embarrassing to anyone else ?

Kevv_Si

Indianapolis
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
FB6
Soo our car came in last in a willow springs lap. We got beat by a Mini Cooper S. The new GTI is impressively quick aswell, almost as fast as the wrx. The blue dot is the WRX, the gray dot is the GTI , yellow dot is Mini Cooper, red dot is the civic Si
image.jpg

Hate to be a barrier of bad news, but the car isn't the only factor. The drivers can make a big difference. If you can soak this in, it will help you in your future racing career.
If I knew you or watched you race, I'd never tell you this, but since I don't know you or how well you drive, it can be looked at as a basic fact and nothing personal directed at you.
As in any sport never blame the equipment!

GTI has more power and longer gear ratio, but the front end looks meh.
Focust ST... Sweet looking hatch, but I'm not sure about ford reliability.
Fiesta St same thing
WRX :thumbsup:
Next year new Speed 3 and Srt4 will be released.
10th Si needs to have at least 240hp to compete with others.

59e3cab75aafe5f8dcecb4d4959ee95b91dde80a66c3b79cda1ea82224774824.jpg

Hate to be a barrier of bad news, but the car isn't the only factor. The drivers can make a big difference. If you can soak this in, it will help you in your future racing career.
If I knew you or watched you race, I'd never tell you this, but since I don't know you or how well you drive, it can be looked at as a basic fact and nothing personal directed at you.
As in any sport never blame the equipment!
Yeah I know that but all four cars were driven by pobst one of the best drivers these just happen to be the results.

As I see it this really doesn't look that bad considering all of the other cars in this test have at least 30-40 more horsepower than the Si. Also it doesn't tell you what any of the cars are equipped with tire wise. Assuming the Si is on the crappy all seasons its understandable why some of the other cars are pulling higher g numbers. Tires make a large difference in capability, but it looks. like until the back half of the course which has more potential for speed the Si was at least keeping with the pack. Every other car on this list has more horsepower through forced induction so of course they are going to accelerate faster on the straights.

What review was this from? I'm guessing that it wasn't the latest Si (upgraded suspension) used in the track. Also, the Si came with MXM4 tires which is the worst set of tires to use at the track as mentioned above. If the optional summer tires were used, it would have been a better race.

The Cooper S, WRX, and GTIs are also very tough to match because they are all boosted and the power delivery is almost immediate at the corner exits.

Yeah I know that but all four cars were driven by pobst one of the best drivers these just happen to be the results.
It's good to know the used the same driver in all the cars, much better evaluation. Also, like was mentioned about using the same tyres would have been a better way to go, but if comparing cars from the factory, the factory loses for not putting good tyres on out the door.
Since everyone(or a lot) changes to a tyre they prefer, I like matched tyres for test.
Thx for the thread........ :D

What review was this from? I'm guessing that it wasn't the latest Si (upgraded suspension) used in the track. Also, the Si came with MXM4 tires which is the worst set of tires to use at the track as mentioned above. If the optional summer tires were used, it would have been a better race.

The Cooper S, WRX, and GTIs are also very tough to match because they are all boosted and the power delivery is almost immediate at the corner exits.
It's motortrend and they all had summer tires. This was a 2014 Si

Those results don't seem out of line with the difference in power between the vehicles. If you really wanted a fast car I don't think a Civic would have been a great place to start.

From the article

3rd Place: Honda Civic Si

The Si might very well be the best third-place finisher … ever. Not only was it the cheapest of the group (by $3615), but Pobst ranked it tops in terms of fun factor and driver confidence at the track. "That new Civic Si is a real playground ride of a FWD car, a lot of fun. It's not a car that will blow your mind in a straight line, but it's peppy and the engine is smooth and loves to run." While not fond of the soft suspension setup, which made the car feel like it had a lot of body roll, Pobst loved the chassis otherwise, especially the brakes. "With just the right amount of a light brake, it will actually rotate into a corner. Whenever a FWD car will do that, it turns me on. A trail brake should be very light in any car, just enough to light the brake lights. The Honda Civic likes that, which is sporty and racy. That's my favorite handling characteristic."

Further, everyone ranked its six-speed manual the finest of the foursome. "I'd go so far as to proclaim the Si's transmission the best manual in the business," Lieberman noted. Pobst said, "The shifter may very well be the best one I've ever tried in anything, ever. Not just the shift mechanism, but whatever is going on in the gearbox. It's almost like the synchros aren't there. It is so slick and so quick into the next gear. I wish they were all like that." So do we.

Reactions: Nix
You know what I think I will go back to an Si if they turbocharged the next gen one !

I seriously contemplated a wrx, especially being in CO. However they are quite a bit more expensive, and get nowhere near the gas mileage. Now that my Si is supercharged I'm really glad I didn't buy the wrx.

Based on my times at the track, these results dont surprise me at all with an experienced driver. The GTi surprises me a little bit; I consider them pretty intimidating to drive on the track without more experience. The WRX is in a different league honestly, as is its price. The cooper S stock to stock of course will wax the Si, but I would never buy one.

I think its a little unfair considering the Si was almost $4,000 cheaper that the next cheapest car. If you put on some new performance tires ($600), rv6 downpipe ($450), brake fluid/pads/ss lines ($350), maybe intake ($500), flashpro and tune ($750), and could even get coil overs ($1,000) and still have a little left over. Then tell me how the Si places. Its like comparing an Si to a civic ex, it's not fair when you consider the price, especially with the WRX which came in around $30k when I was looking.

In conclusion: the si is an easy car to drive fast at the track. The GTi's ive seen out there have been slow and dont corner as well. WRX are fast but they should be for what you pay. The BRZ/FRS is a pretty good match for the Si except they are a rip off. You can't beat the si for the money unless you look at used, simple as that.

Reactions: Nix
Back