STEERING WHEEL/QUICK RELEASE

Jake Trashansky

Long Island, New York
Vehicle Model
Honda Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
I'm curious if anybody with a 9th gen has had the courage to put an aftermarket steering wheel/hub set up on their car (nrg, grip royal, etc).

I've been dying to do it to my car but I'm curious as to how many and what lights and sensors does it trigger?

I know airbag obviously but I'm also thinking you'd get a steering message since our power steering is electronic instead of hydraulic.

Help me out! Thanks!

Im thinking @Sleepingpanda might know? I have no clue...I thought about doing the same thing but then backed away at the thought of how many potential hoops you might have to jump through....the biggest concern being once one airbag is deactivated I think all of them become that way (Im not 100% on this) but @Nix might also be able to "steer" you in the right direction....Pun intended haha

Reactions: Nix
I don't know of anyone who had done this. But I do know that if you disable one airbag you disable the entire system. Its generally not recommended to mess with the safety system in your car, this includes seatbelts, seats, and steering wheel.

Reactions: Nix
eesh... yeah I dunno about that one. I would not want to remove the main airbag that is built for preventing my immediate death. On older cars it was a lot different. There are also a lot of controls on the steering wheel you would lose as well.

CHwLwgB.jpg

There is a pic like this from a 9th owner, but I can't remember what their username was.

I just prefer my airbags is all....but I do believe there are kits out there. Just may take a little more research

I just put a momo on a nrg set up and the only lights I have are the airbags and my traction control stays off (but who cares about that). Hoping flashpro can delete that. But as far as airbag goes just need some resistors.

I just put a momo on a nrg set up and the only lights I have are the airbags and my traction control stays off (but who cares about that). Hoping flashpro can delete that. But as far as airbag goes just need some resistors.
welcome to the site. Pics of your setup?

I know somewhere in one of my SuperStreet magazines I read an article they did about the Godspeed 9th gen civic for one of the FF battles. It has an aftermarket setup on it, but it is also a on the track only car.

The advise that i've always seen is that the systems are designed to work together. You either stay stock for safety concerns or you have to look doing a complete aftermarket setup to maintain the same level of safety. This would mean to have the wheel and be safe in the event of an accident you would also need non adjustable (fixed back) race seats, and a full professionally installed rollcage and race harnesses. The systems are designed to work together in the event of an incident. You crash and roll the airbags go off and the back of the stock seat is designed to flatten out in case the roof caves. If you replace any one of those pieces in the system you put yourself at a larger risk of serious injury. Also removal of any portion of the stock safety system on a licensed and registered car is illegal depending on your location.

Well said filghtmaster.

I've said it before but,

I am not a fan of removing the one main airbag that is designed and placed to prevent my immediate death.

No one plans on having an accident. Let alone a bad one. It's usually not your driving either. It will be someone else or some drunk crossing the center line. Things beyond your control.
If you do figure out the airbag resistor, definitely post up and let us know you got the rest of them working. Im certain some people would like to swap seats and have run into the same issue. If the light is on, none of the airbags work.

No one plans on having an accident. Let alone a bad one. It's usually not your driving either. It will be someone else or some drunk crossing the center line. Things beyond your control.
If you do figure out the airbag resistor, definitely post up and let us know you got the rest of them working. Im certain some people would like to swap seats and have run into the same issue. If the light is on, none of the airbags work.

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available
View: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=252_1422024180

I'm not surprised that the guy so willing to get rid of his airbag also has a tallboy of Bud Light in his cup holder.

Drive smart @somd_fb6
Just cuz there is a beer in my car doesn't make it mine. I drive a few guys to work and they drink on the way home. Thanks for the concern tho

honestly i love the red hub. it looks good. but im one anal *** dude about lights or even notifications up on my imid just bothers me lol.

honestly i love the red hub. it looks good. but im one anal *** dude about lights or even notifications up on my imid just bothers me lol.
I'm with you on this I'm so close to putting the stock one back on.

Did you ever get the airbags to work.

I've toyed with this as well, I don't wanna lose my radio and cruise buttons.

Back