Reflash from Hondata FlashPro and reflash from Honda

JonnyRotten

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
coupe
I'm not sure if this question has ever come up before but I'm curious.
If you reflash your ECU through FlashPro and then Honda decides to finally release CarPlay so you want to update your car software so that CarPlay now works in your vehicle, what happens to the FlashPro tune?
Does one have anything to do with the other?
@VitViper seeing as you are clearly the overwhelming expert on this can you please answer this for me. :bighug:

I may be wrong, but to my knowledge the all the software for your audio system is contained in your head unit and is entirely separate from anything that would deal with the ecu.

Da.sized.jpg

prob be just like the navigation/gps update. Plug into the usb behind the glove compartment and update

http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/2012-honda-civic-navigation-system-software-update-guide.6614/

@webby

Can that USB port be used for things other than just an update? I think that would be a pretty sleek way to hide a flash drive with your entire music collection on it. Sort of like how some cars come with an internal hard drive now.

I doubt it has that kind of capability. It's meant to be used for gps navigation updates. Why not use the usb that is in the armrest for a flash drive?

I generally just use the Bluetooth on my phone. I was just thinking of a way for people to have more flexibility. I know the 14+ has 2 usb connections but I cant remember if the 2012-13 has one or two. And if people don't have the nav unit would that connection still be there.

So if Honda releases a software update for the car, would that overwrite the Flashpro?
I know that there was a software update for the charging system of my 2012 Si to resolve a lack of charging the battery in really cold weather. Would a Vit Tune change that or does the Vit Tune only make changes to the engine performance part?
I guess my question is, if Honda releases new software and you had it installed I'm assuming that it would overwrite your Vit Tune. Could you then sent the new software back to @VitViper and have the engine performance part reapplied?

If it does uninstall the tune which i doubt because as stated before the head unit and ECU are two separate components all you woul have to do is plug your FP back to the car and re install FP simple as that :)

The ECU and radio systems are 2 different things guys. USB port behind the glove box is used to update the GPS maps on nav models and that's all it does. As far as the battery update. That's an update for the ECU. If your running a custom tune then you are already not running that official Honda map. There would be no need to update your ECU for this fix because your simply going to overwrite it with a custom tune anyways. Whether Vits tunes have this update for the charging system or not I don't know.

So if Honda releases a software update for the car, would that overwrite the Flashpro?
I know that there was a software update for the charging system of my 2012 Si to resolve a lack of charging the battery in really cold weather. Would a Vit Tune change that or does the Vit Tune only make changes to the engine performance part?
I guess my question is, if Honda releases new software and you had it installed I'm assuming that it would overwrite your Vit Tune. Could you then sent the new software back to @VitViper and have the engine performance part reapplied?
Tunes start with a base map, which are usually modified versions of Hondas stock map. You can't change just 1 part and leave the rest alone. Your replacing the entire flash on the ecu when running a custom map. Whether that base map includes the charging update or not I don't know. When tuning your modifying usually the ignition timing, cam angles, and fueling. But your whether you change anything else or not your still creating an entirely new map for the ecu, your not just changing a part of it.

Noob question (1st time Honda owner here) If my car is tuned can I go back to factory tune or I can only use the Flashpro map?

you can revert it to the original/stock tune with flashpro. When you see flashpro units for sale you need to make sure the person has unmarried it from their car. That returns it to stock and lets you marry the unit to your car.

Tunes start with a base map, which are usually modified versions of Hondas stock map. You can't change just 1 part and leave the rest alone. Your replacing the entire flash on the ecu when running a custom map. Whether that base map includes the charging update or not I don't know. When tuning your modifying usually the ignition timing, cam angles, and fueling. But your whether you change anything else or not your still creating an entirely new map for the ecu, your not just changing a part of it.
There is charging system update?

@W3R0 The charging update was released way back in 2012 so anything built after that will have the latest version of software on the car.
I never knew that. I got my Si March 2012 and had it serviced at dealer up til about the end of 2013 (had over 36k miles by then). They never said nothing about charging system update even though I had told them about my battery going dead right after i hit the 36k mark they did replace my clutch and shocks under warranty :) but since i have FP+tune i guess there is no point in going in for an update?

I never knew that. I got my Si March 2012 and had it serviced at dealer up til about the end of 2013 (had over 36k miles by then). They never said nothing about charging system update even though I had told them about my battery going dead right after i hit the 36k mark they did replace my clutch and shocks under warranty :) but since i have FP+tune i guess there is no point in going in for an update?
No there is no point @W3R0

My 9thgen si sedan wont accept any further progamming via flashpro unit and when connected to desktop computer displays message "vin does not match" has anyone seen or having this issue also?? :0(

Back