clutch question

Kevv_Si

Indianapolis
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
FB6
ordering a CC Stage 4 clutch and they have a sprung hub and un-sprung option...whats the difference between the two?

According to the supra forums:
solid unsprung discs are alot more harsh engagement and have alot more pedal feel...typically not a daily driven type of clutch.

According to the supra forums:
solid unsprung discs are alot more harsh engagement and have alot more pedal feel...typically not a daily driven type of clutch.
Hmm , my car isn't daily driven but if unsprung is harsh why would anyone get it lol.

The spring on a clutch helps with absorbing shock from sudden engagement. It makes the clutch more "street-friendly" for everyday driving. You won't have as much "chatter" upon engagement. There is more that goes into this of course, such as friction material components, 4,6,8 pucks, etc.. but to answer your question... Webby hit the nail on the head. I have a stage 4 Clutchmasters clutch on my Si. It does a great job of handling the increased torque produced by the supercharger but isn't so harsh when engaging that it makes everyday driving a pain.

I have the cc stage 4 unsprung clutch with my turbo kit.. it does engage pretty hard and you get chatter in first gear if you dont rev it high enough.. im use to it now though.. prl recommended the unsprung because it really grabs you.. plus the springs in a sprung clutch can break in the future but im not sure how often that happens.. i kinda wish i had the unsprung sometimes for a more comfortable engagement..but i still like my clutch now..

I have the cc stage 4 unsprung clutch with my turbo kit.. it does engage pretty hard and you get chatter in first gear if you dont rev it high enough.. im use to it now though.. prl recommended the unsprung because it really grabs you.. plus the springs in a sprung clutch can break in the future but im not sure how often that happens.. i kinda wish i had the unsprung sometimes for a more comfortable engagement..but i still like my clutch now..
I have the sprung and it grabs fine lol.

I just don't like any sprung clutches, more to go wrong. A few people have had to get warranty replacement clutches here because of the springs falling out. That stuff doesn't happen if your clutch has no springs :)

I just don't like any sprung clutches, more to go wrong. A few people have had to get warranty replacement clutches here because of the springs falling out. That stuff doesn't happen if your clutch has no springs :)
So i guess the springs do break often!! Now i do feel better about it

I know its late but about the stage 4 unsprung clutch for a daily... F^<\<. That!!!! I just messed my tranny or diff up... I think it may be because it was taken a beaten from the unspeung the whole time... Not good for the tranny to be constantly jerked like that... Just my opinion... Im thinking of going unsprung since i gotta open everything up now

I know its late but about the stage 4 unsprung clutch for a daily... F^<\<. That!!!! I just messed my tranny or diff up... I think it may be because it was taken a beaten from the unspeung the whole time... Not good for the tranny to be constantly jerked like that... Just my opinion... Im thinking of going unsprung since i gotta open everything up now
Remember this post??
The spring on a clutch helps with absorbing shock from sudden engagement. It makes the clutch more "street-friendly" for everyday driving. You won't have as much "chatter" upon engagement. There is more that goes into this of course, such as friction material components, 4,6,8 pucks, etc.. but to answer your question... Webby hit the nail on the head. I have a stage 4 Clutchmasters clutch on my Si. It does a great job of handling the increased torque produced by the supercharger but isn't so harsh when engaging that it makes everyday driving a pain.
Sorry you had to go through this boss. I never understood why some people were posting about favoring the unsprung vs the sprung hub. I have only ever used, (heard of people using) unsprung ON THE TRACK. I have the ClutchMasters Stage 4, 6-puck SPRUNG clutch on my supercharged Civic and I use it daily. No issues, no problems. Sorry you had to learn the hard "EXPENSIVE" way.

Remember this post??
Sorry you had to go through this boss. I never understood why some people were posting about favoring the unsprung vs the sprung hub. I have only ever used, (heard of people using) unsprung ON THE TRACK. I have the ClutchMasters Stage 4, 6-puck SPRUNG clutch on my supercharged Civic and I use it daily. No issues, no problems. Sorry you had to learn the hard "EXPENSIVE" way.
Hell yea the expensive way!!! Im getting the same clutch you got now.. I just spoke to my mechanic..
When i first did the turbo thing, i didnt really know much about cars.. But i learned alot in the past 2 years.. I dont know why prl recomended the cc unsprung clutch with this kit when they knew it was a street car.. Now im hearing that competition clutch fell off in the past years as well..

View: https://youtu.be/YHQ5pPNGwP0
... Hey @Kevv_Si and @Mikeorock .... Check this video out. I'M NOT ENDORSING ANDYS AUTOSPORT BUT IT'S AN INFORMATIVE VIDEO. Bottom line is this...Here is the part number from ClutchMasters that you want. FX400: 08240-HRC6-SK ***NOTE*** YOU MUST USE FLASHPRO WITH THIS UNIT. THIS WILL ELIMINATE THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT TRIGGERED BY THE STOCK FLYWHEEL. It has the ugraded flywheel, clutch and pressure plate assembly all in one package. Its a Stage 4 SPRUNG 6 PUCK UNIT. They offer a 4 PUCK unit but that is more aggressive and not as forgiving for daily street driven purposes. I DIDN'T INCLUDE THAT PART NUMBER SO THAT PEOPLE AREN'T TEMPTED TO READ IT AND PURCHASE IT. LOL ****OH AND BTW, THIS UNIT IS FOR MY 2013 CIVIC SI KW SUPERCHARGED****

Back