Tires

eric.schwartz.

okay so on my 2014 Si coupe I have the all season tires they came with the car. They perform decently well but looks like crap and I'm not a huge fan of them like a lot of other people on this forum aren't I'm sure. I was curious about tire recommendations for the future. Here are some things that I want for my new set of tires: thin sidewall / low profile, aggressive tread, a lot of stickiness in wet conditions. I'm not sure we need any wider track tires on our 18 inch wheels, but if you can how wide can you go to? Thank you.

okay so on my 2014 Si coupe I have the all season tires they came with the car. They perform decently well but looks like crap and I'm not a huge fan of them like a lot of other people on this forum aren't I'm sure. I was curious about tire recommendations for the future. Here are some things that I want for my new set of tires: thin sidewall / low profile, aggressive tread, a lot of stickiness in wet conditions. I'm not sure we need any wider track tires on our 18 inch wheels, but if you can how wide can you go to? Thank you.

Sounds like Michelin Pilot Super Sports may be what you want. These are strictly a summer tire. So, you would need a winter setup as well.

I personally am going with a 245/40/17 PSS on a 17x8. Unless you want to do fender work, you may not want to go over 8" inch wide...especially if you are dropped.

Stock all seasons are garbage.

Reactions: Nix
Sounds like Michelin Pilot Super Sports may be what you want. These are strictly a summer tire. So, you would need a winter setup as well.

I personally am going with a 245/40/17 PSS on a 17x8. Unless you want to do fender work, you may not want to go over 8" inch wide...especially if you are dropped.

See here's the thing, I will be running the tires in the winter time as well. I was thinking about high performance all season tires but I really want the low-profile extreme performance look of course.I want to be able to show off the awesome looking 18" wheels we've got on our newer Si model especially since mine are painted.

Are the toyo proxes t1r's any good?

See here's the thing, I will be running the tires in the winter time as well. I was thinking about high performance all season tires but I really want the low-profile extreme performance look of course.I want to be able to show off the awesome looking 18" wheels we've got on our newer Si model especially since mine are painted.

You will not find a low profile extreme performance tire that will be effective in the winter. Winter tires should be skinnier and have a higher profile to be effective. Seriously, do yourself a favor and get two setups.

You will not find a low profile extreme performance tire that will be effective in the winter. Winter tires should be skinnier and have a higher profile to be effective. Seriously, do yourself a favor and get two setups.
I had thought about to set ups but I don't want to have to store a second set up. I thought about high performance all season tires already, but I just like to look a little profile high performance summer tires I don't need tires yet, but what I need them I'm starting to think about them basically

You can get pretty much any tire in difference sizes(diameter/sidewall height/etc.), just depends on what the manufacturer sizing options are. Pick one that you think "looks" cool and then see if its available in a low profile size that you want.

Tires are one of the most important car components. To me, "looks" should be the very last variable when picking out a tire. Again, that's just me.....

You can get pretty much any tire in difference sizes(diameter/sidewall height/etc.), just depends on what the manufacturer sizing options are. Pick one that you think "looks" cool and then see if its available in a low profile size that you want.

Tires are one of the most important car components. To me, "looks" should be the very last variable when picking out a tire. Again, that's just me.....
Well of course it's also about how they handle but I want a low profile tire that looks good on the car. That's all.

Well of course it's also about how they handle but I want a low profile tire that looks good on the car. That's all.

The other problem with a "low profile" tire you will run into is that, if you go with a lower profile on the current wheel, your speedometer will be off. Otherwise, you will need to step up to a 19" wheel to achieve a lower profile.

some things that I want for my new set of tires: thin sidewall / low profile, aggressive tread, a lot of stickiness in wet conditions.
to retain your stock speedometer & not mess things up, your sidewall will need to stay the same, or you have to go up a size in wheel.

I got exactly what you're looking for
d2230a94d2c65fbe4438cadec1611b96.jpg

No tire thats good in the summer will be good in the winter. All seasons are ok in all conditions. Winter specific tires have an entirely different rubber composition that stays soft and grippy under 40 degrees. Most all seasons are ok in the winter but do not perform nearly as well as a dedicated snow tire. Especially not when there is any amount of snow on the ground let alone cold temps.

You live in NJ. You guys have some serious winter weather. I think you should look into running a dedicated snow tire setup. Nothing worse than snow banking your car and doing a few thousand in damage cause it snowed an inch.

As far as low profile, I believe your tire size is a 225/40. Thats pretty low profile. I personally wouldn't run anything less than a 40 series.

I know it's already been mentioned but probably the best performance tire that does well in the wet and lasts a decent amount of time is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Not the PS2 or PS2A3 or anything like that, the PSS. That's most likely going to be my next tire as well. I live in Kentucky now but I'm from upstate NY. Im used to a ton of snow and while there isn't very much here, I still ran snow tires this winter from November until May 1st. Saved my butt the couple times it did snow here.

A second set of wheels can is a large item to store but snow tires are absolutely worth it if you live in the NE. Just ask @Dar-Dar - I think he has several sets of wheels.

No tire thats good in the summer will be good in the winter. All seasons are ok in all conditions. Winter specific tires have an entirely different rubber composition that stays soft and grippy under 40 degrees. Most all seasons are ok in the winter but do not perform nearly as well as a dedicated snow tire. Especially not when there is any amount of snow on the ground let alone cold temps.

You live in NJ. You guys have some serious winter weather. I think you should look into running a dedicated snow tire setup. Nothing worse than snow banking your car and doing a few thousand in damage cause it snowed an inch.

As far as low profile, I believe your tire size is a 225/40. Thats pretty low profile. I personally wouldn't run anything less than a 40 series.

I know it's already been mentioned but probably the best performance tire that does well in the wet and lasts a decent amount of time is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Not the PS2 or PS2A3 or anything like that, the PSS. That's most likely going to be my next tire as well. I live in Kentucky now but I'm from upstate NY. Im used to a ton of snow and while there isn't very much here, I still ran snow tires this winter from November until May 1st. Saved my butt the couple times it did snow here.

A second set of wheels can is a large item to store but snow tires are absolutely worth it if you live in the NE. Just ask @Dar-Dar - I think he has several sets of wheels.
See now I understand what you're saying about winter tires, but I am selling on running a dedicated set of winter tires. All season tires are okay and all kinds of weather but I'm willing to give them up honestly. Our winters in New Jersey are so so. I still want a good set of summer tires. The Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires look good any other suggestions anyone can give me?

Reactions: Nix
Side note for storing tyres........... Under the bed works for most beds..... Even if the bed sits low, a few(4) of the right size blocks can raise the clearance.

Back