aFe POWER TR-1020B Takeda Stage-2 Pro 5R Cold Air Intake System

Tak

New York City
Vehicle Model
LX
Body Style
Sedan (FB2)
Hello guys,

What's your feedback about using this SRI on your 9th gen? I am interested in putting this on my R18.
Is there any issue with hot air in engine bay? I live in NYC and summer gets pretty hot though.

I'm debating this as some CAI may reduce the throttle response and require a engine remap afterward. Some suck up water that causes hydro lock.

I need some feedback on this aFe SRI so I can evaluate myself if I want to go forward with this.

Thanks,

Tak

it is a cold air intake it replaces the upper intake panel with a cone and reuses the rest of the stock intake track. its a nice looking piece and prob not going to gain a lot of horse power especially without a tune. usually when going with an intake system you lose torque but gain horsepower...

I will never go with a sri just because you are sucking in hot air while idling and low speeds which can cause pre detonation and pull timing which loses power.

from what I have read you are not going to gain a lot of power with the r18, with an intake you gain something like 3hp. you need a 20hp gain to feel a difference

Reactions: Tak
it is a cold air intake it replaces the upper intake panel with a cone and reuses the rest of the stock intake track. its a nice looking piece and prob not going to gain a lot of horse power especially without a tune. usually when going with an intake system you lose torque but gain horsepower...

I will never go with a sri just because you are sucking in hot air while idling and low speeds which can cause pre detonation and pull timing which loses power.

from what I have read you are not going to gain a lot of power with the r18, with an intake you gain something like 3hp. you need a 20hp gain to feel a difference
Thanks @freggie
What CAI do you recommend for a daily driver?
I don't want a CAI sucking up water to cause hydrolock and hesitation on acceleration prior to tuning. I truly understood that I will need to tune with FP or Hondata down the line.

Thanks

honestly man, none of these intakes are gonna do anything useful for you even with a tune. the stock airbox is well engineered and doesnt need improving. if anything you'll just be spending money to make your car worse

honestly man, none of these intakes are gonna do anything useful for you even with a tune. the stock airbox is well engineered and doesnt need improving. if anything you'll just be spending money to make your car worse
Thank you @NoMoreNissans
I know with bolt on, R18 won't take lots of advantage. But this aFe Takeda SRI has been on my to-do list. And there's seller wanna sell it to me at a very affordable price. So I want to take advantage of it

Last edited:
Thanks @freggie
What CAI do you recommend for a daily driver?
I don't want a CAI sucking up water to cause hydrolock and hesitation on acceleration prior to tuning. I truly understood that I will need to tune with FP or Hondata down the line.

Thanks

Personally I would go with the takeda intake only because I like to stock/sleeper look

All cai that places the filter has a chance for hydro lock, there was a brand i dont remember off hand but it places the filter higher up in the fender. I always ran a filter sock that repels splashes of water.

There are a few other factors to take into effect for any cai. Pay attention to when it rains, as long as the road does not flood the rain water should run to the drains on the right. Your filter is placed on the left of the engine bay lowering chances of sucking up water. The filter does not have direct flow of air from outside of the car (scoop going to the filter). Your car has an under panel running from the bottom of the front bumper back. This creates another 'shield' so the water doesnt rush up into the engine bay, the water runs under the car and not into it, and when you go through puddles you splash through them pushing the water out of the way from the car. Last your car has about 5.5" of ground clearance (if the car is not lowered) plus a few more inches of the filter to the bottom of the bumper. So you have roughly of 12" of water you would need to track through to suck up water. Don't stop in a deep puddle and you should be good.

I used to drive a car that had 3" of ground clearance, filter in the scoop opening so it gets direct air flow (bumper opening like fog light opening without foglights) you can see the filter standing in front of the car. and the car did not have a underpanel/splashguard. did not have a fitler sock either. Never had a problem in the rain and no problems tracking through shallow puddles.

Think smart and you should be fine. you wouldnt go through a deep puddle normally, dont go through with a cai.

Back