Radios for the 2016 Trip

SpartanML

NW NJ
Vehicle Model
Honduh
Body Style
C O O P
Hi all, we've been discussing the radio situation. Ultimately the decision was made to not pursue the Baofeng radios because of their dubious legality and our desire not to piss off the FCC or law enforcement. As a result we've selected a new radio. Unfortunately it's alot more expensive. The good news is however they come in pairs so not everyone will have to buy a set if some of us are feeling more generous. Please let me know what you think.

Midland GXT1000VP4 36-Mile 50-Channel FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radio

61o-YBhqU-L._SL1000_.jpg
While the link provided is to amazon, you can find the bone stock radios and chargers for less on eBay.

Last edited:
yeah, we've used radios/walkie talkies in the past. It helps if someone leading is able to give a heads up about whatever is going on.

What makes these better than other radios?

but for $14 for 1 and $23 for 2......would be worth it, even is just used once a year, lol.

Just make sure they have sub channels so everyone can get on the same frequency.

EDIT: @Nomar06 - Ill drop my two in the mail to you since I'm sending you a package anyways. Midland LXT600's with sub channels. They are a couple years old but still work pretty well.

Updated the first post with our new radio choice. These will work with other namebrand shorter range radios. We decided on these because they have better range and should get more reception in the hills.

do you recall what was the range listed at on the others you had posted?

do you recall what was the range listed at on the others you had posted?
It doesn't matter as they are not legal for normal use. Even if we *could* get away with it, I'm not taking the risk and don't want anyone else associated with this group taking that risk. The channels it had are FCC monitored emergency channels. Even after programming them correctly you'd still need a small radio operating license. Not worth the dangers.

I didn't realize they were emergency ones

I'm here for the :party:

I have radios at home. I will check tonight to see what they are. If they are not up to specs then I will order the Midland ones in the OP and @death_roll and I could split the cost.

Just a quick update, the bulk of us are or will be purchasing GXT1000s. For those who are bringing their own radios, headsets of some kind are recommended. We will be trying to maximize the hands-free potential of these radios. Thanks!

Must have an Amazon warehouse pretty close to you. :thumb:

Must have an Amazon warehouse pretty close to you. :thumb:

Downtown Baltimore (Baltimore City) they have one but the radios came from PA.

Per Amazon:

Package has left seller facility and is in transit to carrier
Lewisberry, PA, US

so did they end up charging you tax due to a warehouse in the state.....even though the package came from out of state?

Back