Is Honda Working On A Twin-Charged 320hp S2000?

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
2018 Honda S2000 In The Works??

WHkVOQN.jpg

There are a handful of automotive rumors that have persisted for so long that you could be forgiven for believing they’re nothing more than wishful thinking. Among them are talks of a next-generation Honda S2000.
rear-wheel S2000. Nowadays the brand is all about fuel-efficient vehicles that appeal to the masses.

Fortunately, it seems things are changing following the release of the latest Honda NSX and these changes are set to include a revived S2000, according to Car and Driver.

It is thought that Honda is planning to release a new S2000 in 2018 to mark its 70th anniversary and 20 years since the original S2000 was launched. Previously, it was widely reported that the Civic Type R’s turbo’d 2.0-liter would find its way into the new S2K but apparently, something much more exciting is in the works.

Honda is preparing to take a page out of Mitsubishi’s book by developing an all-new powertrain that incorporates a turbocharger and an electrically driven supercharger aimed at eliminating turbo lag while being more fuel efficient than current twin-turbo systems. These components will then be bolted to a 2.0-liter inline-four cylinder engine designed to pump out in excess of 320 hp.

Car and Driver says that this new powertrain will come mated to a dual-clutch eight-speed transmission. However, considering that Honda continues to offer many of its cars with manual gearboxes to this day, we’re holding out hope a traditional stick shift will also be made available.

If the new-age Honda S2000 does indeed launch in 2018, a debut at the Paris Auto Show in September next year or the Los Angeles Auto Show in November 2018 are likely candidates to host the unveiling.

Interesting.....

I saw a rendering that had the new Acura pentagon shape grill thing on the front bumper.

Please let there be truth to this! I would 100% get one...if it looks good

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Yeah but I bet it will be close to $55k, base Corvette and Alfa 4C price point. Plenty of Merc/Audi/BMW in that range too along with the new Supra on the horizon.

Even if this came in around $35k I still couldn't get one.

• Staff
in 2009, the original msrp for the s2000:
Original MSRP:$34,995 - $37,995

$35,000 in 2009 adjusted for inflation -
$39,155.23

maybe they can hit mid to high 40's?

Also a fair point...hopefully it wouldn't drive up prices for an ap2. I would be plenty happy with that.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The Focus RS is in the $35-40k range as is a nice Mustang GT or 370z or WRX STI, and so on.... Lots of competition at that price point. I seriously hope they can keep it under 40k.

Also, I really hope they make this car. Kinda sucks that the Civic is the best "sports car" Honda makes at the moment. NSX doesn't count since it's not an achievable car for most mortals.

• Staff
Honda S2000 Successor Could Happen If Enough Of You Ask For It

Reports surrounding a successor of the iconic Honda S2000 have been around for, well, ever since it ceased production in 2009, and it appears that the Japanese manufacturer isn’t completely opposing the idea.

Speaking to Autocar on the sidelines of the 2017 Tokyo Motor Show, the brand's chief, Takahiro Hachigo, said that their engineers are ready to develop a new Honda S2000, but only if there's enough demand from the public.

"I've already heard many voices expressing they'd like a next generation S2000. Honda development engineers are quick to develop sporty cars, if the requests are there", Hachigo said. "All over the world - in Japan, North America, Europe, Chine - more and more voices are expressing the desire to reinvent S2000. However, it has not matured yet. It's not time yet. We need time to decide if S2000 is reinvented or not. If the sales people investigate, look at it, and they're really enthusiastic, maybe we look at it."

If Honda decides to revive the S2000, then it will follow a series of reborn performance cars launched over these past few years, with the list including the Japan-only S660, Civic Type R, and NSX.

Previous voices suggested that a possible successor of the Honda S2000 could challenge the likes of the Mazda MX-5. Powering it might be the brand's 1.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine, but the new Civic Type R's 2.0L turbo could also be used on a more hardcore version of the roadster, or even a 2.0-liter twin-charged unit, rated at more than 320hp.

Tough. I wouldn't touch it at $40k+. I would grab it at $25-30k with the Miata or 86, even up to $35-40k to touch into 370Z territory and 300+ hp. You go too much higher and you're competing with Porsche, BMW, etc. Now, there might be a niche market for a faster sports car than the Miata or 86 but not fully into the category of Cayman and up like the 370Z (if you could consider that heavy of a car a true sports car).

Msrp on the 2005 model was $33,150. Inflation makes that $42,8XX in 2017 according to the gov calculator.

I know that. They also canceled it because nobody was buying it. If they were going to release it back into the market, where would they want to put a roadster replacement?

Would you put it in the 200+ hp category and hit a $25-30k price point like the Miata and 86 are at. Or, would you go into that $40k bracket? That puts it into competition with entry level Corvettes, Lexus RC, and 370Z. It's a balancing act. They had it in a great spot before - a high revving roadster with 250 hp. The other cars were all in the 150 hp range. If they came out here with 320 hp, that falls far short of entry Vette (460 hp), RC 350 with 360 hp. I'll write off the 370Z here...

Msrp on the 2005 model was $33,150. Inflation makes that $42,8XX in 2017 according to the gov calculator.

...also sad that our money is 30% less useful today than it was just about a decade ago....

base corvette starts at 56k without options, but I know what you're saying

...and here my buddy tells me that his Stingray was $46k. Possible it was under MSRP. Something that rarely happens for Hondas.

Gm is offering 3 grand off if you already own a Chevy vehicle that is from 1999 or newer.

Gm is offering 3 grand off if you already own a Chevy vehicle that is from 1999 or newer.

He had a Subaru Legacy that he traded in. Probably was $46k after his trade in value... that would put the car up near $60k, which would make plenty of sense.

Stock Honda twin turbo s2k. Under 50k I’d part out and sell si to get one. Even if it’s marked up to hell.

That’s if this lovely fairy tale ever comes true of course...

Yeah but I bet it will be close to $55k, base Corvette and Alfa 4C price point. Plenty of Merc/Audi/BMW in that range too along with the new Supra on the horizon.

Even if this came in around $35k I still couldn't get one.

But, hard to do on that McDonald's minimum wage salary. Remember, it's Christmas... it's the thought that counts.

He had a Subaru Legacy that he traded in. Probably was $46k after his trade in value... that would put the car up near $60k, which would make plenty of sense.

What's the purpose of 300hp or more... so we can slam on the brakes right away?
I drove some Lexus F-sport once (a neighbor works for Road and Track) the one with 600+ ponies when it first came out. Lurching instantly to Warp 9 was both exciting and depressing at the same time... because after roughly 2 - 3 seconds I had caught up to every car within a quarter mile. It was the ultimate WTF moment.

Not the kind of fun I was looking for... (though if the Lexus could handle like a Porsche I sure could've used it last week with FooBird chasing that million dollar posse)

Last edited:
Back