8th Gen Auto swap to stick

Almighty Biggz

Own a 2010 Civic LX auto for about a year and a half now. Really got it cause I wanted a civic and it was the first one I found (not smart I know) but now I wanna swap out the engine and also swap out the transmission to make it stick. Don’t know when I’m going to start this project but just was looking for tips and pointers and heads up for this swap and any recommendations is welcomed also.

Attachments

• C5912C3A-556A-4B5C-8B65-64C5860F4B74.jpeg
    C5912C3A-556A-4B5C-8B65-64C5860F4B74.jpeg
    338.7 KB · Views: 8
You’re not going to want to hear this, but trade the car for a manual.

It can be done, but requires a lot more than just buying a manual trans from another civic. You need a new ecu, wiring harness, gauge cluster for the interior, cutting the firewall to run the clutch, interior trim pieces for the stick shift etc, and it keeps going. You’d need ecu programming done to make the new ecu work with your ignition/keys/anti-theft. If you don’t have experience with doing this type of stuff (which it sounds like you don’t), you’d be way better off swapping cars. The auto is more expensive than the manual anyway. You should be able to save yourself money by finding a manual and selling yours. The amount of expense and time to swap to a manual would be crazy.

You’re not going to want to hear this, but trade the car for a manual.

It can be done, but requires a lot more than just buying a manual trans from another civic. You need a new ecu, wiring harness, gauge cluster for the interior, cutting the firewall to run the clutch, interior trim pieces for the stick shift etc, and it keeps going. You’d need ecu programming done to make the new ecu work with your ignition/keys/anti-theft. If you don’t have experience with doing this type of stuff (which it sounds like you don’t), you’d be way better off swapping cars. The auto is more expensive than the manual anyway. You should be able to save yourself money by finding a manual and selling yours. The amount of expense and time to swap to a manual would be crazy.
Nah not really a car person to swap it myself more of s bike and boat person but yea this was my first option but seeing as my car now is financed i don’t see that as an option right now but sounds like I shouldn’t do the swap after all

The person or dealership that buys your car would be paying the loan off (unless you’re very upside down on the loan). You’d just start a new loan/financing on the replacement car. It doesn’t hurt your credit or anything like that.

Hey guys,

Just joined this forum after seeing this post. I have an 8th but unfortunately 8thcivic.com is not really active anymore.

I’m actually thinking of doing this this summer because I like a challenge and have an old Jeep Grand Cherokee sitting at home that I can drive for the time being so I can take my time with the swap. I really wanna do a write up for this. Many posts asking about this question in the past tend to get shot down because it’s too expensive but I feel like with how old 8th gens are it’d be easier to find a donor car. I’ll be graduating from college this May and I’ll have some free time to do the write up research and swap then

Hey guys,

Just joined this forum after seeing this post. I have an 8th but unfortunately 8thcivic.com is not really active anymore.

I’m actually thinking of doing this this summer because I like a challenge and have an old Jeep Grand Cherokee sitting at home that I can drive for the time being so I can take my time with the swap. I really wanna do a write up for this. Many posts asking about this question in the past tend to get shot down because it’s too expensive but I feel like with how old 8th gens are it’d be easier to find a donor car. I’ll be graduating from college this May and I’ll have some free time to do the write up research and swap then
so you have an 8th gen (non-si), and you're going to swap the k20 si engine/trans in it from the 2006-2011?

Back