Browns!

Role Models right there. Should be ejected from the league along with the guy who kicked the dude in the head while he was on the ground. Pathetic.

I fell asleep at halftime but damn! Watched the replay's.. Damn :/

the guy who kicked the dude in the head while he was on the ground.

We were just talking about that guy here at work like 5 minutes ago.

1996 was the inaugural season of the Baltimore Ravens... I was 11 years old.

They are the team I remember. :)

I did some research on Browns history and learned that the team is named after Coach and Co-Founder Paul Brown. But I have a question! When did y'all switch mascots to the doggo? I think his name is Chomps?

What happened to the little elf guy?

Mid 80's - couple players started the whole dog thing, and then they created the dog pound seating in the endzone. Art Modell became the team's owner in 1961, and hated the elf so much that in the mid-1960s he began to phase it out.

==========
According to Hanford Dixon, then a cornerback with the Browns, Dixon himself gave his defensive teammates the name "Dawgs" to inspire them before the 1985 season. The Dawg Pound started during the 1985 training camp at Lakeland Community College in Kirtland. Dixon and fellow cornerback Frank Minnifield started the idea of the pound by using the dog-versus-cat relationship between the quarterback and the defense. "We had the idea of the quarterback being the cat, and the defensive line being the dog," Dixon said. "Whenever the defense would get a regular sack or a coverage sack the defensive linemen and linebackers would bark." This attitude carried into the stands at the training camp, where fans started barking along with the players. Dixon and Minnifield then put up the first "Dawg Pound" banner in front of the bleachers before the first preseason game at old Cleveland Stadium. The bleacher section had the cheapest seats in the stadium, and its fans were already known as the most vocal. They adopted their new identity whole-heartedly, wearing dog noses, dog masks, bone-shaped hats and other outlandish costumes.

Dawg Pound fans quickly developed a reputation for misbehavior as well as vociferousness. Team officials banned the carrying of dog food into the stadium, as bleacher fans would shower the visiting team with Milk-Bones, along with eggs, batteries, and other objects. Dawg Pound fans also consumed hefty amounts of alcohol, even sneaking a keg into the stadium inside of a doghouse. Their reputation was such that other teams' rowdy fans would often be compared to them.

Back