Cleansweep issues / questions on 2012 Si

Chase

In my 2012 SI, I have the factory navigation system, which is hooked into my JL HD900/5 amp, and 2 12” subs. It has the cleansweep interface behind the steering column to integrate into the factory system.

The cleansweep has been causing me loads of issues because of its location and the guy who wired the car. All of the wires sit out behind there and get pinched and pushed my the steering wheel, especially when adjusting it back and fourth. This is making speakers intermittently cut out, as well as my subs quit working. Because it was a mess down there I just unplugged the cleansweep, and currently have no audio at all.

Instead of having this whole thing rewired I am wondering if anyone has any experience removing these things to put in an aftermarket stereo? All of the wires are spliced from the factory stereo and amp and then go into the cleansweep, which goes back to the amp.

What i would like to do is just get an aftermarket system, which should theoretically remove the need for the Cleansweeep if I’m correct? Should I run into any complications just re splicing the wires for the new stereo wiring harness?

Thanks for the info. After reading a ton of posts on this forum I think i will try keeping it OEM and maybe pay somebody to rewire it all for me. All of the wires are just a complete mess under my steering wheel, no protection around them and the cleansweep was literally just shoved back there with nothing securing it.

Your 12v power or ground is not properly secured to the cleansweep and that is why it is powering off when you move the steering column.

Looks like someone did a crappy install job.
Honestly having both oem and aftermarket headunits, if you are just mainly using it for music and since oem already has bluetooth and mic. I would keep the oem headunit, rewire the cleansweep, if it is damage then what you need is speaker level (high inputs) to rca converter. Double check you have nothing going to the factory amp and you should be good.
Couple reasons for this, oem headunit sends out a flat EQ curve and the oem amp processes it and changes the EQ and reduces bass at higher volumes. You are not using oem amp and this output from the amp is really good for you. Also saves you the headache of wiring aftermarket mic up the A pillar and saves you money on the not having to purchase a steering wheel control interface.

Your 12v power or ground is not properly secured to the cleansweep and that is why it is powering off when you move the steering column.

Looks like someone did a crappy install job.
Honestly having both oem and aftermarket headunits, if you are just mainly using it for music and since oem already has bluetooth and mic. I would keep the oem headunit, rewire the cleansweep, if it is damage then what you need is speaker level (high inputs) to rca converter. Double check you have nothing going to the factory amp and you should be good.
Couple reasons for this, oem headunit sends out a flat EQ curve and the oem amp processes it and changes the EQ and reduces bass at higher volumes. You are not using oem amp and this output from the amp is really good for you. Also saves you the headache of wiring aftermarket mic up the A pillar and saves you money on the not having to purchase a steering wheel control interface.

yeah the cleansweep seems like it works fine just the wiring mess underneath is causing issues. I’ve attached a picture of what the wiring looks like down there. Note that the cleansweep was literally just shoved in there with the wires when I removed it.

would anybody be able to explain how this cleansweep is wired in? And with all the wiring under my steering column would it be a hard to relocate it all to the trunk above the actual amp? Mainly wondering because I’d like to take it to a shop and get it rewired properly and securely but am wondering if I’ll get charged a ton. Ideally I was hoping that they would maybe just have to redo some of the wiring and hook it back up so was only expecting 3 maybe 4 labour hours.

Attachments

• AD205B06-777D-4DFB-912A-A99C4C4C57A1.jpeg
    AD205B06-777D-4DFB-912A-A99C4C4C57A1.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 19
A reputable shop could definitely fix it. It looks like a rats nest right now because there are so many bundles of wires zip tied up. A shop could cut all the zip ties out and fix all of that so it’s in the trunk and clean.

A reputable shop could definitely fix it. It looks like a rats nest right now because there are so many bundles of wires zip tied up. A shop could cut all the zip ties out and fix all of that so it’s in the trunk and clean.
Yeah exactly what I thought when I got under there and unhooked everything. Definitely going to get it looked into asap as I have no sound to speakers at all now. Hopefully not much parts will be needed other then some wiring and the labour.

Shouldn’t need anything except to run the feed to the trunk. Shouldn’t need any other parts

Shouldn’t need anything except to run the feed to the trunk. Shouldn’t need any other parts
Awesome well not all hope is lost for me now haha, will take it in to get looked at and update with how it works out. Thanks though, appreciate the pointers as I was completely lost on how the cleansweep worked.

Its pretty simple for wiring, just looks overwhelming, you have 12v power and ground, you have 4 speaker level inputs (front l/r & rear l&r), then you have 2 sets of preamp outputs (rca cables) this goes to the amp.

Looks like the yellow wire is the 12v and there is a black wire should be your ground. Double check the ground wire has a spade crimp on the end and is grounded to metal.

First start with moving the steering wheel and see what the steering column is hitting, check the 12v wire and ground at the cleansweep and move from there. Sounds like you do not have problems with the speakers, just power and grounding issues

Edit: looks like there is an ignition wire too, this tells the cleansweep to turn on when you power on the car, check this wire too. There's 3 places this wire can be connected to on the car, either the back of the radio, fuse box, or hopefully not the ignition switch.

Its pretty simple for wiring, just looks overwhelming, you have 12v power and ground, you have 4 speaker level inputs (front l/r & rear l&r), then you have 2 sets of preamp outputs (rca cables) this goes to the amp.

Looks like the yellow wire is the 12v and there is a black wire should be your ground. Double check the ground wire has a spade crimp on the end and is grounded to metal.

First start with moving the steering wheel and see what the steering column is hitting, check the 12v wire and ground at the cleansweep and move from there. Sounds like you do not have problems with the speakers, just power and grounding issues

Edit: looks like there is an ignition wire too, this tells the cleansweep to turn on when you power on the car, check this wire too. There's 3 places this wire can be connected to on the car, either the back of the radio, fuse box, or hopefully not the ignition switch.

I’ll attach some more pics. The yellow wire looks like it runs behind the steering wheel to me?

Looks like to me everything is tapped in pre amp and then gets converted into RCAS which run to the amp? So in theory I would just need to extend the wires going into the cleansweep to the back and RCAs? How would I extend all of the coloured wires? Also noticed some of the wires have been pulled from the connector into the factory amp

edit: also moving steering wheel in and out seems to push the yellow wire couldn’t really see where it goes too.

B74F53C7-EB6A-48E7-B8DC-3022438E0968.jpeg

Attachments

• 4C7A5F91-AA49-442F-B652-43B8E8E18512.jpeg
    4C7A5F91-AA49-442F-B652-43B8E8E18512.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 06A7C055-13E3-446C-96AC-7DC1DE9A4829.jpeg
    06A7C055-13E3-446C-96AC-7DC1DE9A4829.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Yes extend the wires and run it to the trunk, is that where your amp is located? If so then what you should do is only extend the car radio's part, follow the rca cables to the amp and remove this rca cable - so the rca cable does unnecessarily wiring (back, front, back)

Just a thought, is there room up under the dash for the cleansweep? maybe light far up under the dash? If you take all the zip ties you can see how long the wiring is and play around with placement of the cleansweep with it disconnected.

Personally I would either find a spot under the dash or mount the cleansweep under the driver's seat with velcro instead of the trunk. IMO I am the type of person who likes clean installs and I do not like to see wiring lol.

Got the wiring cleaned up and had the cleansweep moved under the seat. Everything works good again thank god. Only problem I’m now having is calibrating the cleansweep. Using the audio file on their website, i can’t get the back speakers to calibrate. Anyone have cleansweep knowledge here?

Got the wiring cleaned up and had the cleansweep moved under the seat. Everything works good again thank god. Only problem I’m now having is calibrating the cleansweep. Using the audio file on their website, i can’t get the back speakers to calibrate. Anyone have cleansweep knowledge here?
There is some info here discussing error lights and calibration? Yours having an error?
https://legacygt.com/forums/showthr...l?s=9cc75018fae6139afb15da93d2fb3095&

Back