bad throw out bearing?

john valetutto

So when I got my 2012 Civic si it had 74k miles on it and I found out from the dealer that the throw out bearing was on its way out but it didn't need to be replaced yet because the clutch had "plenty of life left". Well I think that life is coming to an end.

At first I would only hear that bearing noise (sounds like Chewbacca is stuck under my car) when I shifted the wrong way in first or second. Now I'm hearing it even while I'm in gear. Mostly if I'm in gear with my foot off the gas. When I put the clutch in and take it out of gear to coast it goes away. I'm pretty sure it's the clutch.

My question is if I'm replacing the clutch, should I get a good aftermarket one? I might want to turbo or supercharge it in the future. If I do which clutch would you guys/girls recommend? I have a flashpro so the CEL from a lightweight flywheel shouldn't be an issue.

So I guess my two questions are:

What clutch do you recommend I get if I plan on a turbo/supercharge in the future?

And

If I use a lightweight flywheel and disable the sensor with flashpro, will I have to re-enable that sensor to pass inspection? I live in NY and I have to flash back to stock and clear the codes annually to pass inspection (because of the downpipe).

If I use a lightweight flywheel and disable the sensor with flashpro, will I have to re-enable that sensor to pass inspection? I live in NY and I have to flash back to stock and clear the codes annually to pass inspection (because of the downpipe).

Stick with a stock/steel flywheel. You cannot flash back to stock and keep the misfire detection disabled and your obd readiness will not set with misfire detection off so you would never be able to pass and inspection.

There are plenty of options that work without disabling misfire detection.
Clutchmasters fx series comes to mind.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks for answering my question. I might just stick to stock. I didn't realize it's virtually impossible to pass inspection with turbo. I'm pretty sure I'd have to swap all the stock parts back just to pass inspection. Which seems like a huge pain in my ***.

Thanks for answering my question. I might just stick to stock. I didn't realize it's virtually impossible to pass inspection with turbo. I'm pretty sure I'd have to swap all the stock parts back just to pass inspection. Which seems like a huge pain in my ***.
Exactly what is the noise? The 9th gen SI has an issue with a growl sound when letting off the clutch replacing the clutch, flywheel and throw out bearing will not fix the issue. It is not causing any damage it is just an annoying noise.

View: https://youtu.be/B3UY5-yirvI

That's the noise I'm used to hearing if I shift just right. I was told by a dealership and forums that it was the throw out bearing. Now I'm hearing that noise but it's steady. If I shift up to third or fourth, stay in gear and let off the gas , that's usually what triggers it. It will stay until I engage the clutch, take it out of gear and coast for a bit.

Edit:

After reading more about it. Does it make sense for this noise to he happening while the car is in motion if it's the throw out bearing? Could it be the input shaft bearing instead?

Last edited:
That's the noise I'm used to hearing if I shift just right. I was told by a dealership and forums that it was the throw out bearing. Now I'm hearing that noise but it's steady. If I shift up to third or fourth, stay in gear and let off the gas , that's usually what triggers it. It will stay until I engage the clutch, take it out of gear and coast for a bit.
Does it constantly do it or just when you let out the clutch?

No it's fine as long as I'm accelerating. But if I leave it in gear, let off the gas and the rpm drops, then it happens . It won't stop until I take it out of gear and let off the clutch. I also noticed it doesn't happen as frequently or at all in higher gears. I mostly notice it in third and fourth.

No it's fine as long as I'm accelerating. But if I leave it in gear, let off the gas and the rpm drops, then it happens . It won't stop until I take it out of gear and let off the clutch. I also noticed it doesn't happen as frequently or at all in higher gears. I mostly notice it in third and fourth.
That sounds more like a bad throw out bearing if it were just doing it when you let out the clutch i would say you are fine but if it constantly does it like you say i would replace the throw out bearing to see if it fixes the issue. I believe they are around 75 bucks.

It's not just something I can do though. Id have to take it to a shop. I was planning on buying all the parts and taking it to the dealer to replace the clutch. I was told if you're doing the bearing, you might as well replace the entire clutch while you're at it.

I'm a little confused on which clutch kit and flywheel to get though. I've decided to stay as close to OEM as possible, but obviously Honda didn't make the most reliable clutch. I was thinking of getting the OEM flywheel and an aftermarket clutch kit. Just not sure which one yet. Dpetro recommended the clutch master fx series. But I see they have several of the fx series and I'm not sure which one is the best. Also I'm not sure if the clutch kit needs to be balanced to the flywheel.

Ok guys thanks for the help. But what's the deal with this whole balancing thing? Does the fx100 need to be balanced to the steel flywheel they sell?

I would assume the clutch kit is already balanced. I've never heard of anyone doing that with an aftermarket kit. Buy the clutch and install.
If you were trying to reuse the oe flywheel then it would need to be resurfaced.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just updating this thread.

I purchased the fx100 clutch kit, street steel flywheel and master/slave cylinder from clutch master. I had the dealership install it. Ever since I've had this horrible rattling noise when the car is idling. It gets worst when the AC is on. I noticed I can get it to go away if I rev the engine to around 1,000 rpms. Ive read it could be because it's not a dual mass flywheel. Something about the vibrations not being dampened and making the gears rattle. I tried using heavier gear oil (motul 75w90) and the rattle is still there. Sometimes I can even hear the rattle if I shift just right in first gear. Has anyone else experienced this with the fx100 clutch? Does this sound like the throw out bearing to you guys? If I push the clutch in the noise doesn't go away.

I’ve not seen anyone use a dual mass flywheel. Most just get another oem, have their original resurfaced or whatever may come with some “clutch kits”. I would take it back to Honda since they installed it and see what they say about the noise you’re hearing. Is it a new/different noise from before? You could literally have a subframe bolt or something not completely torqued properly causing a rattle. I’ve had it happen in another car. They tossed it on a lift,...checked the bolts around the subframe and front suspension.... and 2 min later I was driving away with it resolved.

Yeah I plan on taking it to the dealer. It would just suck if it's the throw out bearing again. I don't think Honda will gaurantee their work, because I didn't use OEM parts. Here's the email clutch master sent me:

"Yes, extra vibration can result after installing a performance flywheel. The vibrations are not really anything more than what the factory engine puts out, it's just that you no longer have the added weight of the factory flywheel to start dampen them. As long a the clutch engages and holds properly, you're fine."

I know @mySIck said he's got the same clutch and flywheel in his car. I wonder if he's having the same rattle issue I am?

Here are some videos of the noise from inside and outside of my car:

View: https://youtu.be/CHB6EdJaYeM

View: https://youtu.be/MbpPcfk_vMc

Last edited:
So you picked it up at the dealer sounding like that and they acted like everything was fine?????? :confused:

It sounded great until the engine got warm and it was idling. That's only when it happens, so I didn't realize it until I got home. Clutch master emailed me and told me some vibrations were normal with that flywheel. But I just got to the point where I'm kind of pissed. I spent 2k to fix a problem and now the noise is even worst then when I brought it in for the throw out bearing. I just hope the dealership doesn't pull something shady and be like "well you didn't use OEM parts so we can't warranty the work". Plus I've been jammed up trying to get the thing inspected, that's the only reason I didn't bring it right back to them.

Last edited:
first mistake-don't go to a dealer to do custom work. I bet its the flywheel bolts loose. or clutch *** or a faulty defective clutch. Don't trust clutchmaster parts.:bananapop:

Back