Installing Steering wheel audio controls on civic 2014 DX

alucard36

hello everybody, thank you for what you are doing to the honda community.
i have a honda 2014 DX from canada with a single radio and i wanna add the controller to my steering because i wanna buy a neu aftermarket unit.
i guess the method shown here it's just for 2007 and 2012 can some one advise me please.
this is what i have in my car
IMG_1948.jpeg IMG_0981.jpeg

It’s a pretty massive undertaking to do what you’re wanting. These prices were from the 8th generation, but it would likely be similar or maybe a little more expensive. The wire harness and switches were over $300 alone. I have no clue how bad you want this done, or how much you want to spend on this project?

Here is a write up someone did for the 8th gen. Again, these part numbers and wire colors are for the 2006-2011 civic, so do not order these. It’s just an example of the process.

———————

Ordered the following parts from the EX Model:
Steering Wheel audio controls ($78.32):
36770-SNA-A11 002 SWITCH ASSY., AUTO CRUISE & AUDIO REMOTE
& The Wire Harness ($254.29):
32117-SNA-A40 001 WIRE HARNESS, INSTRUMENT
Total of $332.61

Here's what i did to get it to work:
BEFORE YOU START REMOVE THE GROUND CABLE OFF YOUR BATTERY!
Audio controls installation:
Removed the Air bag from steering wheel
Removed the space holder plastic cover from the left side,
Removed the Cruise control switch, Now I the space ready to mount the Audio controls & the Cruise control Switch (It's one piece that's why you have to remove the existing cruise control switch).
Mount & connect the Audio controls & the Cruise control Switch, this is very easy to do because the connector is the same as the one you removed.
Connect the air bag make sure you screw in the appropriate screws and they're properly tighten. You're done with the control Switch!
Before you start Remove the Ground cable off your Battery!
Wire Harness Installation:
Lower & pull out the steering weel as far out and low as it could go.
Remove the top cover which is a snap out cover, the one on top the ignition switch, whiper switch, ligth switch, that TOP Cover, very easy to remove, (it snaps very easily) apply upward pressure to release it.
Remove the Audio/Cruise connector (The White 20 pin connector attached to the black plastic Reel spring cover) Your LX model should have seven color coded wires.
Remove the Radio from the dash board (Remember to remove the 2 screws that secure the radio from the bottom of the radio by the cigarret lighter) Follow the instructions on Page 4 on this pdf: http://collegehillshonda.com/instructions/8th_gen_civ_sedan/xmradio.pdf
Remove all radio connectors and look for the 20pin Grey connector that should have 6 color coded wires.
Remove the grey or black insulating tape that wraps all the cables for the GREY connector cables ONLY since you're going to cut them and pair them with the Grey connector from the EX wire harness.
Give at least 1.5inches of lag cable to the connectors before you cut them just in case you need to reuse them.
Cut the Grey connector from the radio side
Cut the White Connector from the steering wheel colum side
Now find the connectors both The White & the Grey on the Wire Harness and trace them to the other end by removing the black tape & the plastic protection. Cut all the wires from both end points and make sure you leave at least 7 inches of cabling. All cables should be color coded pair them accordingly and solder them. All Wires should be paired except for the 2 additional cables that are attached to each of the connectors.
Pair them accordingly to each en-point and solder them after you pair them. Use Electrical tape to cover each one of the open soldered points and cover all the cables nicely with more Electrical tape.
Do the same for both connector sides Grey & White.
Connect all end points and snap in all the covers (Don't forget the 2 screws for the RADIO).
And you're done!

thank you for your reply i plan to buy a used honda EX wheel with controller already installed, i think it will be more easy and cheaper.

but i didn't find a diagramme to know where to plug the missing wires from the wheel connector to my radio connector (i guess it's the p20 connector).

the aftermarket radio that i wanna use detect automaticly the audio controller on an EX or LX honda so it doesnt need that aswc-1 i guess

the aswc is purely to retain steering wheel control functionality. Basically everyone with an aftermarket radio uses that if they want to change stations, adjust volume etc on the steering wheel. My only other suggestion would be to talk to crutchfield support and see what they say

Since youre coming from a DX instead of a LX you might need a new clockspring behind the wheel too.

Also for cost savings, i remember from the 8th gen that the steering wheel controls were carried over two wires, so you could save some money just adding those wires from the clockspring to the stereo rather than trying to replace the entire.

the only confound i can think of is I dont know how integrated the LX/EX/Si stereo controls were into the iMID display, does your DX have that feature too?

Good points. There isn’t much info at all on the dx that I have found. I wasn’t even aware the dx was available in Canada. This actually might be the first post from a dx owner.

Since youre coming from a DX instead of a LX you might need a new clockspring behind the wheel too.

Also for cost savings, i remember from the 8th gen that the steering wheel controls were carried over two wires, so you could save some money just adding those wires from the clockspring to the stereo rather than trying to replace the entire.

the only confound i can think of is I dont know how integrated the LX/EX/Si stereo controls were into the iMID display, does your DX have that feature too?

yes the probleme is i don't know where to put the 2 wires there is no audio diagramme for this car.

Attachments

• IMG_1937.jpeg
    IMG_1937.jpeg
    633.7 KB · Views: 4
It’s $25 for access to their online database of wiring and repair stuff. If you do that, just make sure you get the Canadian model diagrams. It lets you save whatever you want in pdf form.

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.aspx

according to that file the wires for controller are in the 24 connectors instead of the 20 connectors it's strange isn't it

Attachments

• headunit contectors2014-2015.pdf
    409.5 KB · Views: 18
Back