Official Computer Talk Thread

Well, my experiment with the Node 202 mini-ITX case is gonna be over. It’s been overheating CPU lately. I’m gonna stick to the mini-ITX but move to a more open case configuration and liquid cool the CPU. It’s been fun but every summer, the Node 202 case gets too hot.

My office will be undergoing a remodel and the computer setup will also be undergoing a remodel since I’m stuck WFH until 2021.

i currently have a ghost s1 case but i am kicking around the idea of getting the ncase m1

theyre so little.... as im sitting at my desk at home with my rosewill 4u humming away behind me

theyre so little.... as im sitting at my desk at home with my rosewill 4u humming away behind me
Daaaaaaaannnggg! 4U? What's in your homelab?? I'm assuming a homelab cuz what else are you doing with a 4u???!?! :eek: :D

Holy shiz! 100TB? Nice!!!

What file system? How many disks? Any redundancy?
I'm running 8TB (4TB x 4) in Raid 10 for my lab.

My Node 202 sitting without a lid for a bit. Realized that I had a low noise adapter on the CPU fan. Took that off and am gonna modify the fan speed settings and see how that works. Before I go and attack it.

1B470213-065F-4F31-A844-EEF9C55D5A23.jpeg

It's funny how similar every build looks in a Node 202. Just not much room to do anything differently I guess. For a split second I thought that was my machine. The only real difference being your Noctua cooler.

My Node 202 sitting without a lid for a bit. Realized that I had a low noise adapter on the CPU fan. Took that off and am gonna modify the fan speed settings and see how that works. Before I go and attack it.

View attachment 61220
You could potentially try adding some exhaust fans to the top to pull heat up and out. I saw another user put some noctua fans in the grill openings. I saw a couple examples -

fletavb91nc31.jpg

ulNcjC9.jpg

Temperatures on the CPU still in the 85-90C under load. GPU at 70C.

Probably because I don’t have A/C upstairs in my office and a day like today, it’ll get to 82F while I’m up there.

But CPU under heavy load and system doesn’t like it at all. Back to the drawing board to increase the size of the case and heat exchanger on that CPU.

Yea if it’s 82 in the room, that’s hard to deal with. You should check your cpu and take a look at how your thermal paste looks. Maybe clean it all off and reapply. May save you a little bit of temps. I’ve seen some brand name paste fail pretty bad in short periods of time

I think my room with the door closed is around 78F.

While playing Rocket League -> CPU - 78C / GPU - 65C

Holy shiz! 100TB? Nice!!!

What file system? How many disks? Any redundancy?
I'm running 8TB (4TB x 4) in Raid 10 for my lab.

it started life as a old laptop running usb 4 bay enclosures for drives, and i was a student at the time so its NTFS drives in JBOD, no redundancy (i know)
at the moment its 12 drives collectively sitting around 85% utilization
Id love to build something with redundancy to migrate to but at that volume the cost is just way more than i want to get into

Do you have it mounted into a rack of some type or is it just laying on a desk or? Pics?

its currently on the floor in the corner of my office, under one of those ikea tables that have legs almost the perfect distance for a rack. my home office is on the first floor of a townhouse so its almost always frigid down there. i get the coolest drive temps ive ever had down there.

49F958B9-F2F1-483E-A399-1F457ED75271_1_105_c.jpeg E8849839-CCBD-4384-B10C-A9DB49197685_1_105_c.jpeg B5F3A7E9-010F-4EEC-A4DB-EC5592E033F6_1_105_c.jpeg

:thumb: I've seen quite a few people use the ikea end table things as racks on datahoarder.

Back