Official Computer Talk Thread

The "featured items" and "frequently bought together" that spawn from that are AMAZING!

Ah. I missed that. But 2G is entirely too low for current games. Get something with 4GB at a minimum. A 570 as you initially mentioned would stomp all over the 370. And you should be able to find one fairly cheap. You could probably even find a 580 for not much more. If you can swing it, the 580 or 590 would be tits.

I don't mind cards used for mining. I would argue that they're typically treated better than cards used for gaming. They're usually underclocked, ran with much better cooling. In my mind, people tend to treat things better when they'll a source of income vs a toy. I'm pretty sure that the 1080 that I had prior to the 1080 ti was used for mining, and I wouldn't be surprised if my ti was too. I don't even bother asking.

The 580 and 590 are both under $300cnd on Amazon. I have a big issue with spending hundreds of dollars on used computer parts for some reason. I'd rather buy something that's not as good new.

The 580 and 590 are both under $300cnd on Amazon. I have a big issue with spending hundreds of dollars on used computer parts for some reason. I'd rather buy something that's not as good new.

I build and sell used PC's on the side so I'm super comfortable with used hardware. But I've always used secondhand hardware. I worked at Staples for almost 5 years doing PC repair, And it's amazing what people throw away and buy new. And then after Staples I moved into Corporate IT. First couple gigs were doing Windows 10/Hardware upgrades so they threw out ALL KINDS of hardware. So my comfort level with used hardware is pretty high. Having been a "computer person" since I was young I actually just built my first machine comprised of mostly new parts late last year. And even then some of the parts were used. Case, GPU, SSD, m.2, liquid cooling kit were all used. PSU was a B-stock from EVGA's B-Stock sale (Freaking awesome if you're not familar), so used in my book.

The Mobo and the CPU might actually be the only new parts in my current build now that I'm really thinking about it. :tongue:

The thing I try to concentrate on is that the hardware was usually MUCH more expensive to begin with. Like the 1080 ti I got. I paid $375, but the thing was closer to $1000 brand new. But I get you. It's hard to shell over hundreds when the state of the hardware is unknown.

Dude, click the BS button and it only get's better. :giggle:

I build and sell used PC's on the side so I'm super comfortable with used hardware. But I've always used secondhand hardware. I worked at Staples for almost 5 years doing PC repair, And it's amazing what people throw away and buy new. And then after Staples I moved into Corporate IT. First couple gigs were doing Windows 10/Hardware upgrades so they threw out ALL KINDS of hardware. So my comfort level with used hardware is pretty high. Having been a "computer person" since I was young I actually just built my first machine comprised of mostly new parts late last year. And even then some of the parts were used. Case, GPU, SSD, m.2, liquid cooling kit were all used. PSU was a B-stock from EVGA's B-Stock sale (Freaking awesome if you're not familar), so used in my book.

The Mobo and the CPU might actually be the only new parts in my current build now that I'm really thinking about it. :tongue:

The thing I try to concentrate on is that the hardware was usually MUCH more expensive to begin with. Like the 1080 ti I got. I paid $375, but the thing was closer to $1000 brand new. But I get you. It's hard to shell over hundreds when the state of the hardware is unknown.

Dude, click the BS button and it only get's better. :giggle:

I guess you're right. I think the biggest issue is people sell these used GPUs for more than I think they should.

So question. Why is a gigabyte aorus Rx 580 8gb less money than a gigabyte rx580 4gb???

I guess you're right. I think the biggest issue is people sell these used GPUs for more than I think they should.

Agreed. That's definitely a thing. A couple of the techtubers that I occasionally watch are in CA and they often say that people try to gouge for parts up there.

So question. Why is a gigabyte aorus Rx 580 8gb less money than a gigabyte rx580 4gb???

That's odd. Got a link?

They make a TON of models. Are you looking at the “gaming” Gigabyte? Some are rgb, some have different clock and memory speeds etc.
  • Core Clock (MHz): 1355 in OC Mode and 1340 in Gaming Mode
  • WINDFORCE 2X with Blade Fan Design
  • RGB fusion – 16.8M customizable color lighting

cool, is the 5500xt better than both? seems to be in the same price range.
edit, you already answered that, never mind.

pulled the trigger on the ncase m1, if it keeps my tiny hotbox itx setup cooler than my ghost s1 ill probably sell the ghost

pulled the trigger on the ncase m1, if it keeps my tiny hotbox itx setup cooler than my ghost s1 ill probably sell the ghost
Wild. I didn't realize this case started as an indiegogo product. Always cool when those products succeed.

Lots of new projects starting as crowdfunding these days. Then when those are successful, the big names follow suit. I’m loving the small form factor. 99% of people don’t need ATX computers with multiple PCI-E slots and 4-8 RAM slots. ITX is pretty close to a perfect form factor (save the fact they can be hard to cool

The cooling is where it gets me. I love how ITX machines look, but cooling them is so dang difficult. Definitely requires more planning and better attention to detail than ATX builds. Not gonna lie, I still wanna build in one of those Lian Li desk cases!

Back