2013 Honda Civic Redesign Info Discussed

Honda production only recently returned to normal, and Mendel doesn't expect dealers to be fully restocked until March.
MARCH?? :( I hope he was being negative

you know the funny thing is you throw a upper strut brace on any car and it dives alot less too... also ill be keeping my stock EX rims for winter tires and getting 18s for summer.. just because the civic doesnt stand out doent mean its not going to sell... and there will be aftermarket front and rear lighting in not too long from now.. even having a factory rear deck lid looks soo much better.. shouldnt even an option.... same as foglights... thats what CR was more or less saying... but my EX was still a little cheaper than the competition... 18s all said and done is still only $1200-1500 for summer rims and tires... and lets face it most of us in north america have to drive in the snow.... ;)

I own a 2012 Civic and I'm not happy camper. With much optimisum I purchased my third Honda and first Civic LX. After a drive from NY to MD I found the ride seriously disappointing. The car felt unstable at highway speeds with slow acceleration and long stopping distances. At first I though some adjustments would help and lowering the tire pressure from 40 psi, as delivered by the dealer, would solve the choppy suspension but this was not the case.

A mid-year redesign after a major redesign is unprecedented in the car industry and will be devastating for the value of 2012 Civics already sold. Who will want to buy a previously owned 2012 Civic in the future as it represents an orphaned and mistaken design in what was previously a very successful model. Parts, insurance and resale value will all suffer for those who own a 2012. In particular, parts unique to the 2012 will be hard to come by.

I hope Honda plans on offering some program allowing 2012 owners to trade in their 2012 Civic for the corrected 2013 redesigned Civic or other Honda model. This would be the honorable thing to do for loyal Honda customers.

A mid-year redesign after a major redesign is unprecedented in the car industry and will be devastating for the value of 2012 Civics already sold. Who will want to buy a previously owned 2012 Civic in the future as it represents an orphaned and mistaken design in what was previously a very successful model. Parts, insurance and resale value will all suffer for those who own a 2012. In particular, parts unique to the 2012 will be hard to come by.

I hope Honda plans on offering some program allowing 2012 owners to trade in their 2012 Civic for the corrected 2013 redesigned Civic or other Honda model. This would be the honorable thing to do for loyal Honda customers.
I don't see things that way. It's not like the car is planned to be entirely different. Look at mid cycle refreshes that have taken place on other models. We're talking about light bumper/grill changes on previous generation civics. We're not talking about entirely new sheet metal. Those initial models are not hard to find parts on. We're not talking about a car that sold 20k cars or something. It's selling 17k or so cars per month. Do that for 2 or so years, and you're not talking about a limited production car. They'd just normally do that for 3yrs before the mid cycle refresh. You can still buy most major body panels to fit every year in the generation. It's just usually bumpers and grill changes that cannot be swapped between the two. So, the idea that parts will be really limited just doesn't sound legitimate.

Webby,
Your Dec 16th post seemed to indicate more then just a mid cycle tweak. The list at the bottom of the announcement is a list of major body parts.
I don't see things that way. It's not like the car is planned to be entirely different.
>
4 items mentioned for redesign in this article:
1) restyle the car’s front end
2) restyle the car's rear end
3) make its interior more plush and luxurious
4) boost its fuel economy in hopes of reaching 40 miles per gallon in highway driving

>

did you not thoroughly research a $20k decision ?

it's not Honda's fault that you liked the 2012.

Other publications mention suspension as well which is one of the areas I found to be a problem. Out of all the complaints I find the interior just fine. It's the drivability that bugs me. Maybe as a former amateur race car driver (1970's) I'm hyper sensitive at highway speeds. Fuel milage in the 30 MPG range is just fine with me as well. It's what I used to get thirty years ago. My primary argument is the lose of value should 2012 be a unique model year with a lingering tarnished reputation.

front and rear end styling - other articles have specifically said the "front and rear bumpers" being changed. It also mentioned changes to the front grill. As for suspension changes, they could alter spring rates or something, but nothing has been confirmed in that area.

^why?

did you not thoroughly research a $20k decision ?

it's not Honda's fault that you liked the 2012.

Yes, good point. I made the buying decision based on the reputation of the prior Civic models and the stellar reputation this pedigree had up to 2011. My test drive was around neighborhood streets since a highway test drive would take me a good distance from the dealers location. I didn't ask if I could run the new 2012 out on the freeway so don't know if the dealer would have let me take it for the afternoon or not. A 2011 was an option at significant discount but my philosophy is to move ahead with technology not backwards. Sometimes early adapters win and sometimes they lose. I feel the 2012 model has not carried the Civic reputation forward and apparently Honda feels this way as well. When you test drive a car, even if you get to test it out on the freeway, sometimes you can't evaluate every detail and after living with a vehicle you find out what works and what doesn't.

Can we all agree that Honda fked up the 9th Civic. Every car in its class is way better.
Anyway buying a first year car is always a bad decision regardless of any brand.

Can we all agree that Honda fked up the 9th Civic. Every car in its class is way better.
Anyway buying a first year car is always a bad decision regardless of any brand.
define ****** up, I mean the civic is still a great car. Just doesn't stack up to the competition price feature and mpg wise.

I'd still own a 2012 civic before a hyundai kia toyota in its same class.

define ****** up, I mean the civic is still a great car. Just doesn't stack up to the competition price feature and mpg wise.

I'd still own a 2012 civic before a hyundai kia toyota in its same class.

If it inst fked up so why Honda refreshing is it for 2013? Why CR did not recommmed 9th Civic? CR is like bible to Honda buyers.
And the new Si is just a joke. Powetrain is OK but it lost its dynamics & character. It not that any special compare to 8th when it debuted in 2006.

Thats why I said, buying a first year model is a bad decision because who knows what kind of major problem it might have.
If the redesign came out ho-hum as the currents version, I will just the Mazda3SkyActiv.

everything "****** up" about it was announced in reviews by media outlets, no surprises.

I agree that it isn't an 8th gen hence why I didn't trade up.

But it's still not bad just not recommended because of cost and features.

it's being redesigned well because the competition is outselling it, well really because what once wasn't even competition now is (ford chevy hyundai and kia).

would still rock a 9th gen over those cars and the Si is still plenty good accept for half vtec plastic intake and integrated header plus cheapo interior.

all of which can and possibly will change in a year (the 2012 will be almost 2 yrs old by then )

the civic was the highest selling vehicle in it's class in Nov... and preliminary data said it was to be the same for Dec.

edit - dec figures were released today. It sold just over 21k civics in Dec. I'll have to see the other vehicles

December Sales Figures-
honda civic - 21,110
ford focus - 14,2XX
ford fiesta - 3,XXX
chevy cruz - 16,6XX
Toyota corolla - 21,009
hyundai elantra - 13,XXX
hyundai accent - 5,316
scion tc - 1,587

Honda Civic Is Canada’s Best Selling Car, Critics Be Damned
Bucking the wisdom of nearly every automotive journalist alive, Canadians opted for the much-maligned 2012 Honda Civic in 2012. 55,090 Civics were purchased by Canadians, making it the best selling passenger car for the 14th straight year.

According to our most recent data from Automotive News, as well as Honda Canada itself (with Automotive News tracking sales through November, 2011), the top 10 vehicles were all compacts, with the exception of the Toyota Camry.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/01/honda-civic-is-canadas-best-selling-car-critics-be-damned/

Sales dont matter cause Camry is #1 selling sedan and we all know how exciting and well-appointed it is.:shady: If profit is only Honda's goal then why not make Civic as a POS Corolla.
Honda need to realize that this is not 00s anymore 'cause competition is now more ahead, both in terms of technology and reliability. Honda used to be class leading, not to trail behind the competition.
9th Civic is only good for sheeps, but enthusiasts still prefer the 8th gen.
I really hope they dont do anything stupid with ILX, RDX(no SHAWD lol), new RL etc.

Back