Blower Motor Noise

Ugh mine is really loud too. The worst is when I have it on feet- the blower in the passenger footwell makes this high pitched squeal, almost like a metal piece dragging as it spins.

Read through post 39. Maybe the resistor will fix others issues

i've had this noise from day 1, but it's never bothered me, and the fan is working just fine.

There is a Service Bulletin out for 2012 Civic HVAC noise.. titled.."Buzz or Rattle from the dash when the Heater is On"

The symptom is "a buzz or rattle is heard from the dash when the heater is on low to medium fan speed"

Honda states the possible cause as "The air mix door is warped" The fix is to replace the heater Sub-assembly.

That description sounds a little different from the sounds people have been describing in this thread but that is the only HVAC bulletin out for 2012 Civics, including the hybrid and natural gas models. If your sound is anything like "amirdieselx64's" then I don't think it can be fixed because I heard absolutely NOTHING in that 51 second clip. I was waiting and waiting and there was no sounds there??

If you go to the dealer and this sounds like your problem tell them to look at Service Bulletin 13-041.
Here are the part numbers for the Sub Assemblies listed in the bulletin:

PARTS INFORMATION

Heater Sub-Assembly (4-Door EX, LX, Japan-built):
P/N 79106-TR0-A02

Heater Sub-Assembly (Hybrid):
P/N 79106-TR2-A42

Heater Sub-Assembly (4-Door EX, EX-L, LX, Si, HF,
Natural Gas, U.S-built):
P/N 79106-TR3-A02

Heater Sub-Assembly (4-Door DX):
P/N 79106-TR3-Y01

Heater Sub-Assembly (2-Door EX, EX-L, LX, Si):
P/N 79106-TS8-A02

Heater Sub-Assembly (2-Door DX):
P/N 79106-TS8-Y01

Have this same issue with the EX, but not the LX. It's very noticeable to me but I've called honda on several issues and they just don't seem to care. I end up turning up the volume :confused:

My 2013 Si (I long-since ditched the 2012) still makes this noise. It still annoys the piss out of me (I'm sensitive to high pitch sounds), but I'm used to it at this point. The improvements made to the 2013 make it far more livable.

I just got my car two weeks go and I am now noticing this noise. SO annoying! My car only has 850 miles on it. I'll be bringing it to a dealer to have checked out. Hopefully they can get it squared away. I'm not sure I can get used to this noise... :spazface:

I just got my car two weeks go and I am now noticing this noise. SO annoying! My car only has 850 miles on it. I'll be bringing it to a dealer to have checked out. Hopefully they can get it squared away. I'm not sure I can get used to this noise... :spazface:

I would definitely try. I had it replaced on my 2010 (the first model year I noticed it starting to make that weird noise). It just came back. The two 2012s I had never had it replaced because it was told to be "normal" despite the fact I showed anotehr 2012 that didn't make the noise. My 2013 did it from the get go once it started getting colder out, so Im really just convinced it's normal, even if it does sound cheap. It's loud and unpolished, but only those with sensitive hearing are going to notice it. I've gotten used to it - no sense in having them rip apart the car to replace something that's just gonna keep happening.

Yup, took my car to the dealer this weekend and was told that it was normal... Looks like im gonna have to try my best to get used to it

So here is an update with my HVAC blower problem. 10 months and 20,000 miles later and the same problem returned. The fan started failing, spinning slower at high speed settings and making a fluttering/buzzing noise. Took it back to Honda and they confirmed the problem with the fan and replaced it again…this is the third blower motor they have installed. It has been a few weeks and this fan is already starting to fail. Same buzzing noise and it does not blow strong air at the highest settings. They said the power transistor checked out fine for voltage, so they only replaced the blower motor. It is definitely not normal because it operates normally and quietly for a few weeks before it starts to burn out. There has to be something they are missing. Something is causing the blower motor to fail. I will have to take it back again. Now that it has had three blower motors fail for all the same cause and they cannot fix it, I have to think about considering the lemon law in CA and possibly make Honda buy the car back. But I love the car and I have already done upgrades to it. So to the others that also hear the fan buzzing noise, does your fan still blow at full force at high speeds? Mine does not.

Mine has always made an annoying high-pitched sound, more annoying at lower 1 and 2 fan speed settings. That said, the blower operates properly. One other thing, it has always sounded like a label or something is flapping in the driver side long windshield defrost vent. 34.5k miles, '12 Si

Last edited:
Back