squiggy

Cartographer
VIP Member
Michiana
Vehicle Model
Toyota MR2 Spyder
Body Style
Convertible
Anybody else think that the blower motor is a bit loud? Or is it just me?

It actually drives me nuts.

I don't think its that loud, but I occasionally, from day one, hear the fan blade touching something at low setting, particularly as it slows down to off.

I hate it. I wonder if any dealership has figured out a fix for it. If so, hopefully one of the members knows of one.

I noticed the same thing on the Si, it is noticeably noisier than in other cars but at the same time I really do not care that much, I usually listen to the engine and muffler :) Not sure how it is for the non Si models.

For that I can say the gear box and especially the reverse is way noisier than other cars but again I got what I payed for which is a fast car for not a ton of money. In a way these rough edges make it feel a bit sportier than it is, i do not think it was intentional but it works for me.

I have the sake problem!! I went to honda they changed my blower motor.... Still same noise..

Its like the bit box under the dash that kinda shakes!!! They need to take the dash off! They received the part yo change to do it in my car!! But its going in storage this saturday and its a long jobbto do...so it will be next spring

Mine has been making a vibrating noise like there is something stuck in it. It happens when the fan is at about half. When it's on low or high, the sound and vibration stop. It's pretty loud when it happens however. I've only noticed it since I've started using the heater. Perhaps I'll post a video to show what I'm talking about.

For me it is not a problem per se, it is only that the fan is noisy, not defective just more intrusive than other cars. It sounds as it is running properly and evenly, just nosiy :) Lower speed, first notch is actually noisier than a few higher.

I agree that the first notch seems noisier, but that is probably because there isn't as much air noise coming out of the vents to drown some of it out. I have no doubt that it is running properly. It is just too noisy in my opinion.

I agree that the first notch seems noisier, but that is probably because there isn't as much air noise coming out of the vents to drown some of it out. I have no doubt that it is running properly. It is just too noisy in my opinion.
That explanation makes sense!

Question is, is it just as noisy for the non Sis?

I also hear this noise in my 12 civic si coupe and have taken it to two dealerships and both have told me its normal. They both compared it to similar vehicles on the lot and showroom and said they make the same sound. I went in the service department of one of the dealers and they showed me an ex with leather and I listened to the blower motor and it was actually louder than mine. The technician said told me that the sound you are hearing is the commutator in the motor and when it spins at low rpms u can hear that electrical clicking sound. I was wondering if the blower motor was replaced with another would it be any quieter but I'm thinking not (might get louder or quieter or stay exactly the same). I think the nature of the electric blower motor is that sound and unless honda recalls it or offers and updated part I think there is nothing that can be done unless u can come up with some insulation to put under it and drown out the sound.

I had mine replaced, too, when I mentioned it to the dealer about 6 months ago. And the replacement's even LOUDER. I'm going to mention it again when I take it in for my next round of maintenance.

The first one sounded like the blades were rubbing on something. The replacement just sounds like a noisy motor--to me, it sounds like it's a pulse-modulated motor that you can hear pulsing on low speed. The only reason it goes away for me at higher speed is because the air "whoosh" is louder than the motor at that point.

And, yes, it absolutely drives me nuts.

I had mine replaced, too, when I mentioned it to the dealer about 6 months ago. And the replacement's even LOUDER. I'm going to mention it again when I take it in for my next round of maintenance.

The first one sounded like the blades were rubbing on something. The replacement just sounds like a noisy motor--to me, it sounds like it's a pulse-modulated motor that you can hear pulsing on low speed. The only reason it goes away for me at higher speed is because the air "whoosh" is louder than the motor at that point.

And, yes, it absolutely drives me nuts.

I guess I'm lucky I moved over from an Element, which truly had the world's loudest fan. This one is not so bad.

Allow me to tell you all a story.

I owned a 2010 EX-L sedan. My first (and only winter) with it, I noticed the blower motor was making excessive noise. I brought it in. Dealership told me the blower motor was going - they replaced it. It was noticeably quieter. However, five days later, it got loud again. This time, the same dealership told me it was "normal" even though they told me they found the blower motor was defective.

Fast-forward to today, and my 2012 Si is even louder. I cannot believe how loud the noise of it is - I have never heard a vehicle with a fan so loud, and it certainly does nothing for the already questionable "quality" of the 2012 Civic compared to the others in class. For those who may not know, it almost sounds like a high-pitched, electrical humming (think back to the old Gateway 2000 computers that had a loud fan buzzing sound as they got older). It is obnoxiously loud at the lowest setting, though you can hear it throughout the spectrum of fan levels, especially if you listen in the passenger footwell area. You could also say the sound is similar to that of one of those cheap, handheld fans you can cool yourself with in the summer.

I, too, feel it's from that cheap black box area. When I brought it in, one dealer told me it was because Honda has been gradually cost-cutting since 2006 (my 2006 Si never made the sound, ever), and the noise insulation has gone, so that's why it's so loud. However, I don't buy it. I had a 2012 Civic LX sedan as a rental, and the fan was quiet as a mouse. I intend to bring this to my Service Advisor at my current dealership's attention when I go back in for more warranty work yet again.

I did, however, mention it to him on the phone, and I noticed he had written on my paperwork "Noisy Fan Bulletin" - I have to ask him when I get back whether or not he was able to find any information on a fix Honda may have (lord knows they wouldn't issue a recall), or if it was just him scribbling a note from when I asked him to look into it for me.

Either way, I will not be dealing with this. I am very sensitive to noise (I have good hearing), and this noise absolutely drives me crazy - and others have definitely noticed it. My friend (who just bought a Cruze LTZ) said "About the only thing your car does better than mine is in the looks department and the power department - this interior looks and sounds like a Korean vehicle).

I'm starting to agree with him. I have been watching since 2006 as Honda has slowly cut back on any durability and sophistication this car has had - I vacuumed my carpets yesterday (I have WeatherTech liners), and my 6 month old Si's carpets started pilling.

If anyone has anymore information on this, PLEASE let us know - I suggest we all start calling and complaining to Honda's Customer Service line and get told they've "never heard of this before".

Mno86 has heard a 2012 civic with a quiet motor I'm wondering if we all have defective motors ? Whenu say quiet it doesn't make any kind of humming or anything at all?

no. that's not normal. i think you're hearing the brushes in the motor. it may wear in, but that is one annoying high-pitched sound. it's not the volume, its the frequency that annoys me.

Mine is quite, can't hear anything but air...... FYI ....... Thank goodness high pitch noises drive me crazy.

What about an after market motor ?

Back