18,000 miles valve train issue

Have to ask - (To you fellas who've experienced the issue) - Did a mis-shift occur at any point in time before noticing the symptoms?

No no miss shift! This happened 15 minutes after I resumed normal grandma driving. Dealer gave me rental car for weekend they said there were 4'codes up and it has to do with valves but they won't know till they call tech support. Also my rocker arm was replaced before so wondering if valves are no longer adjusted

Well here is an update rocker arm on #3 busted this is second rocker arm......so the lady at dealer told me don't get into vtec otherwise honda will not cover this again since it's second time! ******* piece of **** honda I must say this is my friend honda and will be last one! As a matter of fact I'm gonna look into trading it in! Ridiculous so have a sport car I can't drive like one. No I never rev limit the car usually shifted around 6k nothing more. Super disappointed

So they said you have to keep it under 6k or they won't cover it again? Wow. That's messed up. If you kept busting struts on the right side would they tell you to not make right turns also?

Well apparently hitting vtec is what breaks the rocker arms.....I am furious I don't race all the damn time and barely hit vtec. And when I do I don't the car get to 6k. Well she said this is last time it's covered since it's different cylinder but if I come back with same cod again and busted rocker arm it's not gonna be covered under warranty

I would call Honda Corporate. They shouldn't be able to deny a claim for running the engine as it is designed.

Well apparently hitting vtec is what breaks the rocker arms.....I am furious I don't race all the damn time and barely hit vtec. And when I do I don't the car get to 6k. Well she said this is last time it's covered since it's different cylinder but if I come back with same cod again and busted rocker arm it's not gonna be covered under warranty
Go to a different dealership if there is another option in your area. They can see what rpms the car has been to from the ecu, so they can't deny warranty work like that. As long as they don't see a 9k rpm shift or something crazy, it's under warranty. If it's user error on a misshift, that's another story.

Yea well warranty is covered this rocker arm and I a gonna get it fixed then call honda. I am pissed that they saying hitting vtec damages rocker arms......I mean I had a bunch of friends wit 98 si rev limiting them and nothing!

Yea no misshifts and max I been to is 7k
You can break 20 more arms and get them repaired under warranty as well. In fact, many states have lemon laws at 3 failed repairs on the same item. Break some more and have Honda buy the car back off you. I don't know where you live, but you can search "lemon law ______". Insert your state in the "____". Every state is slightly different.

You can break 20 more arms and get them repaired under warranty as well. In fact, many states have lemon laws at 3 failed repairs on the same item. Break some more and have Honda buy the car back off you. I don't know where you live, but you can search "lemon law ______". Insert your state in the "____". Every state is slightly different.

Yes I have been researching this lemon law. Well this is second rocker arm on different cylinder wonder if that counts

They'd probably say no, but a lawyer would be the one to answer that.

Yea I just don't want to own a honda if I can use it like I want. Thought vtec was designed to be played with! I don't have a single mod on my car! Just frustrated to no limit

Drive it as intended. Oh look at the pretty power indicator honda placed on the dash for everyone. Oh no, don't go into vtec. That breaks things. Bs

image.jpg

I"m just reading this thinking "what a ridiculous thing to say!"
As @webby pointed out, the car is meant to drive in vtec so if it breaks then oh well. That's what the warranty is for and yes if it continues, Honda should do something for you.
When I had my piston rings replaced I called Honda HO (Canada) and complained that I wasn't happy having my new cars engine torn apart. I now have a complimentary extended warranty courtesy of Honda Canada. :)
I have to agree with @webby. I'd go to a different dealership!

I"m just reading this thinking "what a ridiculous thing to say!"
As @webby pointed out, the car is meant to drive in vtec so if it breaks then oh well. That's what the warranty is for and yes if it continues, Honda should do something for you.
When I had my piston rings replaced I called Honda HO (Canada) and complained that I wasn't happy having my new cars engine torn apart. I now have a complimentary extended warranty courtesy of Honda Canada. :)
I have to agree with @webby. I'd go to a different dealership!
T

Thanks! Yea problem closest dealership besides them is hour and half away and my honda care only brings my car to closest dealer. I been having issues with this dealership since day one I bought it. Gary smith honda in fort Walton beach is in my opinion is a piece of llama doo doo. When guys sold my my car they buffed a scratch out with wool pad, may I note that they didn't even bother washing it after I drove it for a week. So I raised hell on that and all other things. So no this vtec bullshit. I have Been driving the car the way it was meant to be not overly aggressive. But yup that whAt they told me.
Oh yea weird how first time it happened the rocker arms were on national recall :D an I waited a week to get one of them in..........

Back