DIY 2012 Civic Si - How to install CT Engineering Short Shift adapter and CorSport Base Bushings

The play isn't really noticeable until you replace the bushings and feel the difference. The entire shifter assembly moves a little bit because of the stock rubber bushings. This is not to say it feels loose, because it doesn't; it feels slightly squishy at the end of the throw, but hardly noticeable. But it does move a little bit and switching to solid aluminum bushings makes you notice the difference in a much bigger way.

If you take the stock shifter at the end of its throw and then push or pull a little bit on the lever in the direction of the gear that it is in, you will feel the shifter assembly slightly squish the base bushings. Changing the bushings tightens up the play, making the shift throw feel more precise.

The bushings are rubber. There is play regardless of whether you are noticing it or not. Aluminum is much harder than rubber and therefore there is less play (virtually none) with the aluminum bushings. This is undeniable fact. If there was no difference, then why would car manufacturers even bother putting bushings in the suspension when they could just bolt pieces directly together?... suspension parts require the play that rubber (or polyurethane) bushings provide.

Last edited:
That raises a good point...if the aluminum is better, then why would they go to the trouble of using rubber mounts at all? Wouldn't it make more sense both in ease and cost savings to hard mount it?

That raises a good point...if the aluminum is better, then why would they go to the trouble of using rubber mounts at all? Wouldn't it make more sense both in ease and cost savings to hard mount it?
I'm starting to think it was purely for comfort… to make the car feel less like a race car or go kart and more like a family or daily-driver car with performance. After switching the bushings I can see why they would do that.

Last edited:
cost of rubber... cost of metal. Rubber saves them money

Perfect. Thanks a lot. Think I'm going to do this if it's as good as you guys say it is. I don't race or any of that stuff guys here do but sounds like it could add some convientence to every day driving.

It shortens shifts as much as any product out there. Use blue semi-permanent thread locker on the allen-head bolt, just to be sure it stays snug.

I can't imagine that you would damage anything unless you shift it like an ape on an old hurst package, but that kind of shifting would destroy the oem setup too.

There is no discernible difference between this short shift adapter and other short shift adapters being sold out there.

I really don't understand what the base bushings will do. I don't shift violently or anything. Would I still benifit from them? How much do they run? I'd hate to rip everything apart then realize maybe I should have replaced them as well

I really don't understand what the base bushings will do. I don't shift violently or anything. Would I still benifit from them? How much do they run? I'd hate to rip everything apart then realize maybe I should have replaced them as well

They reduce the play or sponginess at the end of each shift (which will get worse over time). The stock ones are rubber. Upgraded ones are metal. Should only be $30 or so and are well worth it.

They reduce the play or sponginess at the end of each shift (which will get worse over time). The stock ones are rubber. Upgraded ones are metal. Should only be $30 or so and are well worth it.

Can you point me in the right direction? The only ones I've seen guys on here talk about were 80 bucks if I recall correctly

Back