2012 Civic Si Sedan (Issues with battery drain)

adanatx

Ive been having issues with battery drain for the last couple of years. So much so that i carry a portable jumper in my trunk. Id say at least 3 times a month my battery dies. I will jump start it and the car will be good for a few weeks and then suddently wont start again and ill repeat the process.

Ive taken it to Auto part stores 2-3 times and after testing they say the battery is good and the alternator is also good. Battery is less than 2 years old.

Is there a more accurate way to test if what they say is true? Is there anything else i need checked?

Do your lights dim at night or anything like that? Something is either causing a draw on your battery or the battery is bad or even the alternator on its way out. A lot of Auto Parts stores just look for those things to give a result within an "acceptable" range and they will tell you that it's good.

Do you have any info on any mods that you have done? Stereo, speakers.. anything that was installed aftermarket might be causing a draw if it wasn't installed correctly

Do your lights dim at night or anything like that? Something is either causing a draw on your battery or the battery is bad or even the alternator on its way out. A lot of Auto Parts stores just look for those things to give a result within an "acceptable" range and they will tell you that it's good.

Do you have any info on any mods that you have done? Stereo, speakers.. anything that was installed aftermarket might be causing a draw if it wasn't installed correctly

None. Its bone stock.

Lights dont dim at all or anything.

One thing i do notice is that after i jump the car... and i listen to the radio... the stereo will sometimes try to fade off. But after a while its normal. I imagine its because the batter is low and charging.

The parts store will take out one of those lil machines they plug into the battery and test it along with the alternator.

Im also suspecting the alternator is going out. Its one of those things where im ignoring it since i just keep easily jump starting it.

you may need to get yourself a trickle charger to get your battery to full charge. You may be making short enough trips that your battery never gets back to full charge. This has been brought up many times, as others have had similar issues with their batteries.

"Basically, the alternator on old PCM software does not charge at idle or low engine rpm. This allows the battery to slowly become discharged. Most noticeable for those with short commutes."

you may need to see if you can get a software update - this is the invoice from another user who had theirs updated.

Honda_zps692ed066.jpg

What type of driving are you doing? If you do a lot of freeway/highway driving, like Webby said the battery does not "charge up fully" to get you the best mpg. I have purchased the cheapest Autozone battery and that lasted 1 year with the freeway driving (we call it freeway in cali lol). Upgraded to AGM and battery is going for over 3 years now, purchased from Pepboys because it was the cheapest compared to AutoZone and O'reilly but last time I checked O'reilly AGM's are cheaper now. Anytime our civic's had starting problems but started after a jump it was the battery. Upgraded to AGM and no problems

other than load testing the battery, checked the charging voltage and possible ecm update you can do an ignition off draw test. for chrylser vehicles the max ignition off draw is .050amps cant imagine it being different for honda.

Ive been having issues with battery drain for the last couple of years. So much so that i carry a portable jumper in my trunk. Id say at least 3 times a month my battery dies. I will jump start it and the car will be good for a few weeks and then suddently wont start again and ill repeat the process.

Ive taken it to Auto part stores 2-3 times and after testing they say the battery is good and the alternator is also good. Battery is less than 2 years old.

Is there a more accurate way to test if what they say is true? Is there anything else i need checked?
Had the same thing happen. Battery drains if I don't drive the car every week, and battery died after 3 years. If it's your daily and the alternator is good that's really strange. FWIT, Costco gave me a brand new battery even though I was outside warranty coverage. Said they've had so many issues lately, they reset the warranty coverage.

Back