2012 Coupe Audio Upgrade Questions

JohnEnglish

My 2012 EX-L Coupe has the premium audio system. I'm looking to upgrade it in stages. I was going to start with the speakers first.

Since I have the premium audio system, the crossovers for the front woofers and tweeters are in the amp itself, correct? That means that if I'm installing 2 way component speakers up front, I wouldn't use the supplied crossovers until I replaced the factory amp? I would just wire the woofers and tweeters directly and then when I replace the factory amp I would use their crossovers and run the tweeters the that?

The amplifier is flawed because it has the frequency crossovers built-in for the front tweeters, rear speakers, and subwoofer. If you replace the speakers and keep the factory amplifier, you still get poor sound because of the internal crossovers in the amplifier. The solution is to remove the factory amplifier, speakers, and the subwoofer. The best part of the premium system is the head unit, because it is unpowered with pre-amp level outputs for the front, rear, and subwoofer.

definitely check out this post linked below if you haven't seen it. You're correct that the stock amp handles the crossover for the speakers. The original post explains it quite well here -

I saw that thanks. :) I wanted to make sure my understanding that thread was correct.

I'm planning on upgrading the amp and head unit (to give myself carplay) but I'm going to do it in stages. I figured I'd do the speakers first, then the amp, and finally the head unit.

Back