2013 EX-L oem sway bar upgrade

I’m not aware of anything being plastic. Someone else would have to chime in there. I don’t own a 9th gen to verify, but I’ve never seen anyone say the 8th gen is better or that the 9th has plastic.

Had to dig through my history... so many suspension searches lol

https://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/8th-gen-civic-vs-9th-gen-civic-suspension-differences.3031/

"Strut bearing is different and uses separate upper spring seat part number (not integral like on 8th civic), but the 8thcivic bearing (and integral spring seat) fits perfectly on 9th gen top hat (because the top hats are identical); so retrofits will be easy if needed. Interestingly, there are no bearings is the 9th gen strut bearing... it's some sort of plastic flat bearing and lube that has no moving parts other than the top moving relative to the bottom (and it's very thin and weighs almost nothing)"

Picked up the H&R and TruHarts...

Just waiting on a call back from Paul @ CHH to ask him about the FSB before I put the order through for everything else.

Picked up the H&R and TruHarts...

Just waiting on a call back from Paul @ CHH to ask him about the FSB before I put the order through for everything else.
Nice. That's a quality combo. I just got the H&R springs installed on my car last weekend and I really like the drop so far. Not too low, but low enough that I notice everytime I get out of the car.

And I've only seen good things about the Truharts. That drop is gonna look good dude.

Probably not as good as yours, im still on the stock 16's lol

Are you on factory shocks still? How do you like the ride of the H&R's? Any issues with noise?

Just got a call back from Paul. He said he hasn't heard of anyone doing the Si FSB on 9th gens nor does he know if it would fit but he said it was common for 8th gens to swap in the front and rear at the same time.

If I had a second car I might play guinea pig and try the front but for now, im just going to swap in the RSB and see how I like it.

Do you guys think I should get new oem sway bar links or should I go with the Moog heavy duty?

Are you on factory shocks still? How do you like the ride of the H&R's? Any issues with noise?

Just got a call back from Paul. He said he hasn't heard of anyone doing the Si FSB on 9th gens nor does he know if it would fit but he said it was common for 8th gens to swap in the front and rear at the same time.

If I had a second car I might play guinea pig and try the front but for now, im just going to swap in the RSB and see how I like it.

Do you guys think I should get new oem sway bar links or should I go with the Moog heavy duty?

Can't really comment on the ride just yet. I probably have 20 miles or so on them, and I got them used. But so far so good. Mine have the Tein isolators. I've heard that will stop them from creaking since some of the coils will end up touching.

Yep, still on factory dampers all around.

I would just do the rear and see how you like it. You can always do the front later if you feel like the RSB introduced too much oversteer.

I used the factory end links as have many others. If you don't have to cut them off save yourself some cash and just reuse them.

Not sure if they are the same fitment, but I have a used set of Moog endlinks that are available. Do some research to see if they fit. If so, let me know.

I have a rear set as well...not sure if I want to deal with the hassle of pulling them though.

So im going to try and get everything installed in the morning. Just have a few questions.

Regarding the oem sway bar bushings... Ive read that rubber bushings aren't supposed to be greased, is this true with our cars?

Would you suggest using grease on the upper and lower rubber mounts for the springs and if so, what kind?

I forgot to purchase the spring silencers. If it turns out that theyre necessary, will I be able to slip them on without disassembling everyhing?

I think sway bars always require u to lube the inside of the bushings. I’d do it even if it doesn’t.

Don’t use grease on the springs.

from what I remember from doing @fahnix springs he had the silencers and you will have to install them when the springs are off. Regardless it will be way way way easier to do it when the springs are off.

Also I have the skunk 2 springs ( I think the lowest drop available for springs) and never had a problem with them being noisy.

I need to get everything installed today and im an idiot for not grabbing the silencers ahead of time.

Fingers crossed that theyre not necessary...

Im running to Napa or Autozone to pickup some Sil-glyde to use on the bushings.

Yeah, like Ron said, they were already on the springs when I got them used, but I would say that it would be next to impossible to get them on with the springs on because of the was the springs compress. You'd have to slide the isolators between a compressed spring.

Yeah, like Ron said, they were already on the springs when I got them used, but I would say that it would be next to impossible to get them on with the springs on because of the was the springs compress. You'd have to slide the isolators between a compressed spring.

You can get really cheap compressors at Harbor Freight.

I used them to install my springs and tear stuff off my car to sell.

If I had kept the car, I would have used the compressor to install the Konis.

Late start to a very long day...

Only managed to get the rsb, drivers side rear shock, spring and camber link done.

Going to get out there first thing in the morning to try and get everything taken care of.

Feels like shes fighting me every step of the way.

Also... screw the sway bar links! Had to take a cutting wheel to the bolts to get them off. Its a good thing I picked up new ones.

wow. The bolts that have the allen key in the middle?

Indeed... I couldnt even get the allen key to fit all the way. Sprayed everything, hit it with a steel brush to clean the threads and hole to no avail.

I was glad we didn't run into that. I didn't get new end links.

Progress going better today?

Rear is done.

Front links were no better... cut off wheel to the rescue. Good thing I ran to Honda and picked up new front links this morning lol

About to build the front shocks.

Please help...

Something isnt right.

The Truharts are supposed to be a direct swap but there isnt a groove on the perch where the rubber arrow (on the lower coil) is supposed to sit in like on the oem strut. I positioned the beginning of the coil the same as it would be on the oem but it looks incredibly crooked. Im no sure what im doing wrong.

k3QRe7H.jpeg

Last edited:
Back