2015 Spring Meet (May) - Dragon Territory

I could prob do a long weekend....just have to know which weekend.

Should check out the Dragon/killboy store page. I believe they have links for different cabins/houses in the area.

Reactions: Nix
I figure its at least a couple hours closer for you. Know any other NC guys who might be interested?

I might be able to make this one. I'm a semi-definite maybe.

Here's what we know:

Who:
@Nix, @kgf3076, @Dennis Rockholt, @Cbland13Si, @Keens, @SpartanML @death_roll, @Bruce Bartlow, @07TLX, @Michal006 @Nomar06, @k757, @VNPP, @bootyluvr have all expressed interest. Of those 15, 7 are already solid.
Probably more on the way.

What:
The Touge... the stuff we do for free. In Japanese it's also spelled Toge for "mountain pass", not necessarily connected to 'touge' drifting.

When:
May 15th - May 22nd, i.e., the week before the Memorial Weekend. Lots of time to stop by. May weather has been excellent. And it's your last chance before the minivans invade.

Where:
Everywhere we haven't been. East of Asheville: The Diamondback 226A (http://www.diamondbacknc.com) Roan Mtn, Beech Mtn (aka "mini Dragon") The Snake (http://www.421thesnake.com) and Python (US 58 in Southern Virginia), to name a few. A preliminary map of Day 1: https://goo.gl/maps/bjCuV

West of Asheville: Nix's fave - US 276, US 215, Devil's Drop (aka Heaven's Ascent) and of course Moonshiner 28 south of the 74 to Franklin has to be on the list. The map of US 276 and US 215 both local favorites is here: https://goo.gl/maps/mg7Jh That is likely Day 2.

Why: Because it's there? Gas is cheap? Check out the mods? There's a party every night? Pick your reason.
Watch this thread for further details.

Attached: brochure with brief road descriptions.

Attachments

• Brochure.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 2
Most likely I won't come this year.

1. 10 hour drive with short stops that would be around 12 hours more or less :thumbsdown:
2. I don't know yet when my finals are going to be. Possibly the first week of May.:think:

Most likely I won't come this year.

1. 10 hour drive with short stops that would be around 12 hours more or less :thumbsdown:
2. I don't know yet when my finals are going to be. Possibly the first week of May.:think:

If you're referring to Day 1, that will likely to be split into two days. Earlier in the thread we mentioned it needed to be cut down, much like Day 2 even. 6 hours driving per day seems about max.
If you were talking about your drive there, I have no sympathy.

@Michal006 brought up a good point about Day 1 being too long. He's absolutely right. As noted earlier these are preliminary maps to stimulate interest and discussion.

-- Some have expressed an interest in staying at a cabin at Mouth of Wilson (or elsewhere) at the conclusion of Day 1, eliminating the need for two round trips up-state. Makes sense. Again, 6 hour drives are ultimately what we have in mind, with perhaps a late day run of 1 - 2 hrs for those who aren't preoccupied with early Happy Hour. (Counts me out)

-- Then what? Let's start at the beginning. First we would all arrive at various times Friday, May 15th and stay near Little Switzerland, NC, perfectly located near the beginning of the good runs. We drive Saturday to Mouth of Wilson (?) or The Snake for an overnight stay only. Sunday we drive back down to stay at a more permanent location (meaning 2/3 days) closer to Day 3 and Day 4 itineraries. The final day(s) will likely be at Fontana for those who stick around.

-- Obviously this isn't a Fontana-only stay while repeatedly doing the Dragon and other classics. We're driving a ton more roads on this trip, and this being our first attempt at Boone area roads we'll need to occasionally adjust the logistics. Some who did May's Moonshine Madness can verify just how phenomenal the driving is out there. (Notice i didn't say "easier")

-- That said, after we collect everyone's thoughts (during January) and determine the final level of interest, we'll submit a final plan for consideration.

Thanks for the input... keep it coming!

@Nix - You get a smartphone yet? :giggle:
By all means! Just gotta figure out how to structure it all....whether to do it early or late... as to accommodate the most ppl.

By the way, now that @Nix has a job, i understand his first stop was to Best Buy.

Texting and driving the Dragon... now there's a challenge.

Back