2015 Spring Meet (May) - Dragon Territory

I have a couple of friends who just got back from the Dragon. Now's a good time to go. No snow and no organic speedbumps.

I also have a friend who went recently. He bought a CTS-V wagon from some state and was driving it back, stopped up there along the way. Another friend (Berdonfat from 8thcivic for those who remember) who bought a motorcycle and wants to go sometime mid-feb maybe. If we do that, I still plan to make this mini meet. Can never have enough dragon time

1277816_10151667506928388_390128212_o.jpg

This place is always calling.

I will have a large update with some solid information later today. I am exhausted from work and working out at the moment. Need to put my thoughts together but stay tuned. I may just make a new thread so it's easier to find. Ill try and tag everyone as well.

So... mini meet? Idk about February. Cause.... cold and long ride there from durham. April should be best and by then the bike and my riding skills should be a bit better. Not trying to hop up there too soon and leave a peice of the bike on the tree

Latest itinerary for Rock the Dragon 2015.

Rock the Dragon
The Annual Spring Honda S2000 Event

The Official Welcome Guide and Itinerary

Welcome!

Welcome to the 3rd annual Rock the Dragon (RtD 2015). We hope you have a great time enjoying the area, the amazing roads, beautiful scenery, the company of old friends and new, and the love we all share for this great automobile.

Print a copy of this Welcome Guide and bring it with you, as the guide will not be available at the event.

Read about the drives and activities in the Dragon Forum on S2KI.COM so you have an idea of what you would like to do over the weekend.

Drive safely, have fun and let’s play!

Ken (kgf3076)

Important RtD Information
The Event Headquarters for RtD 2015 is Fontana Village Resort, a year-round destination resort set amidst the pristine beauty of the Nantahala Forest of western NC; gateway to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and less than 10 miles from the world famous Dragon! Please check the Fontana website for details and directions. For reservations, call 800-849-2258.

General:
• Event radio channel: Channel 4.0. Be sure to bring your FRS hand-held radios and a headset with microphone so your hands can stay on the wheel.
• Car Wash Areas: In front of the Wildwood Grill at Fontana and next to the General Store. Hoses, rags, and buckets provided. There is also a do-it-yourself car wash in Robbinsville.
• Message Center: The White Board located in the main Lodge Lobby at Fontana. Only Verizon Cell phones work and not everywhere in the Fontana/Deals Gap area. Check the message center often for messages and event updates throughout the weekend. You can also use the Message Center to leave a note for others.
• Wireless Internet is available in Fontana’s main Lodge, the General Store and the front porch of the Wildwood Grill. There is also some wireless connectivity in the resort area.
• Beer and Wine may be purchased at the Fontana Village General Store and the Hellbender Pitstop. The nearest ABC store (for liquor) is in Bryson City, approx. 45 minutes away. Robbinsville is in a dry county, so these are your only real options! Come prepared.
Questions? See the event organizers. Everyone be safe and have a wonderful time!

Event Packets:

• There will be two opportunities to pick up your event packet; see the “Schedule of Events” for specific times and locations
o Friday morning, during the Newbie Driver’s Orientation
o Friday night, during the picnic on the ball field

• Important: Your event nametag is your admission to all events, including the beer swap, group drives and the Saturday night banquet. Have it with you at all times!

Fuel:
• Whenever you have a chance, fill your car up.
• Always arrive for group drives with a full tank, as some drives will not be stopping for gas along the route.

There is only one rule, and if you violate it, you will be asked to leave:

STAY ON YOUR SIDE OF THE YELLOW LINE!
Anyone crossing the double yellow is creating a hazard for themselves and for oncoming vehicles. We have the reputation of being safe and courteous Dragon Drivers, we will keep that reputation.

Schedule of Events

Thursday, April 9th – Day of Arrivals

All Day - Enjoy driving the Dragon and other great roads in the area. Check the Message Board in the lodge lobby for any impromptu group drives or dinner gatherings that may pop up. Monitor channel 4.0 to hook up with other S2000s arriving this day

7:00 – 10:00 AM – Tech Day – Organizer: Bill (Billman250)
Come by to watch S2000 wrenching in action, learn tips and tricks, and ask anything S2000. Contact Bill to get on the list!

DRIVE 10:00 AM – Clingman’s Dome/Natahala Brewery/Road to Nowhere Drive – Organizer: Florian (Funat9000rpm)
Check out Clingmans Dome, then backtrack to the Nantahala Brewing Co. for a tour/tasting at 1pm. $15 gets you a flight with up to 6 beers and a pint glass. Tickets should be purchased ahead of time: http://www.nantahalabrewing.com/brewery/tourstastings.html.
Departure: From the Wildwood Grill parking lot.

DRIVE 7:45 AM – Devil’s Triangle - Organizer: David (Bama Dave)
Meet across from the General Store (near the ball field) and travel to Deal’s Gap for breakfast. Do not be late. If you want to sleep-in, the drive will depart from Deal’s Gap at 9:30 promptly. The Devils Triangle drive is not recommended for the squeamish or newbie. There are sections with difficult steep switchbacks, steep drop-offs, ascending and descending radius curves and coal/logging trucks to dodge. Other that that it is a great road.
Departure: Across from the General Store (near the ball field). Be early because the drive will leave Deal’s Gap at exactly 9:30AM

Lunch - On your own. Deal’s Gap “Dragon Burgers” and Fontana’s Wildwood Grill recommended.

DRIVE 1:00 PM - Drive to meet the OKI group and dinner in Gatlinburg – Organizer: Ken (kgf3076).
This will be a somewhat “spirited” drive from Fontana Village through the Dragon and the Foothills Parkway to Maryville, TN to meet the OKI caravan. The group then continues on to Gatlinburg, TN for dinner at the Park Grill. After dinner, you'll drive the Foothills Parkway to the Tennessee side of the Dragon. We'll divide into two groups (Spirited and Newbie) and drive through the Dragon at night, returning to the Lodge. If you've never driven the Dragon in the dark, you're in for an exciting, fun, white-knuckle experience!
Departure: Across from the General Store (near the ball field).

Dinner – (TBD). Organizer: Andy (habitforming). Enjoy a tasty dinner at <TBD> with other arriving S2000’ers. Please RSVP with Andy in advance, so he can notify the restaurant.

Dinner - If you aren’t going on the Drive to meet the Oki Group, Andy’s dinner meet, The Devil’s Triangle Drive, or are not hanging with the snow-backs (sorry, our Canadian neighbors from the FAR north), Wildwood Grill is a good choice for something more casual.

5:00 PM – Park Grill Dinner – Organizer: Mike (Lovetodrive2000)
Join Ken’s (kgf3076) drive to Marysville or David’s (Bama Dave) Devils Triangle Drive, or Mike’s (Fluky15) Mad Canadian Group to meet up with the OKI group in Maryville, once we’re all together, the group will head to Gatlinburg for dinner at the Park Grill. Or if you prefer, just meet us there for some good food. This might be the largest S2000 Dragon group that Park Grill has ever had to endure.

DRIVE 8:30PM – Cherohala Skyway/Dragon Night Run – Organizer: David (Bama Dave)
Drive the Cherohala to the first overlook, and spend some time socializing with the others. After some social time, depart Cherohala and meet up with the Midnight On the Dragon Drive. Go together as a group for a drive across the Dragon.
Departure: Across from the General Store (near the ball field)

DRIVE Midnight (Tentative)- Midnight on the Dragon Drive - Organizer: Brian (scammedon)
A spirited midnight drive on the Dragon. Not a drive for newbies. Expect temperatures in the 40s. 
Departure: From the Wildwood Grill parking lot.

Friday, April 10th – Event Packet Pickup and LOTS of Drives

7:00 – 10:00 AM – Tech Day – Organizer: Bill (Billman250)
Come by to watch S2000 wrenching in action, learn tips and tricks, and ask anything S2000. Contact Bill to get on the list!
8:00 AM – Late PM - Dent Removal – Organizer: Matt Moore
Matt will be doing dent removal at the car wash area near Wildwood Grill. Contact Matt to schedule an appointment.

8:00 – 8:15 AM - Driver’s Orientation for Newbies (and anyone interested) – Organizer: David (Bama Dave)
Held across from the General Store (near the ball field). Required for all Dragon first timers.

DRIVE 8:15 AM – Guided Newbie run through the Dragon – Organizer: David (Bama Dave)
Following the Driver’s Orientation, a moderate paced, guided run through the Dragon. We hope that experienced drivers will “buddy up” with first-timers to offer some tips on Dragon driving. The drive will leave Fontana at 8:30 AM sharp; make a brief stop at the (paved) Gravel lot and return in time for the drive to Franklin.
Departure: Leaves from the road in front of the General Store (near the ball field).

DRIVE, Lunch, DRIVE – Friday’s are for Franklin: Hwy 28 to Franklin, NC – Drive Hellbender (Rt. 28) to Franklin for lunch at Café REL. After lunch, drive to Bridal Veil Falls and Dry Falls. Stop for ice cream on the return through Franklin and then scenic Wayah Road to Fontana. NOTE: Bring cash for lunch. The restaurant does not take credit cards.
Departure: All groups leave from the lot in front of the Wildwood Grill. Be prepared to leave on time. Drive leaders will not wait for late arrivals.

DRIVE 10:30 AM (Moderate) – Organizer: Brian (scammedon)
DRIVE 11:00 AM (Moderate) – Organizer: David (Bama Dave)
DRIVE 11:30 AM (Spirited) – Organizer: Andy (habitforming)

Lunch – If you aren’t going to Franklin, Deal’s Gap “Dragon Burgers” and Fontana’s Wildwood Grill recommended.

Picnic on the Ball Field - 6:30 PM – 10:00 PM – Late Event Packet Pickup and Picnic on the ball field
Located on the ball field (map included at the end of this Guide). Park your car under the lights and enjoy checking out other S2000s, mods, etc. Pick up your event packet and join us (starting at 7:00) for a casual cookout and lots of socializing.

Beer Swap - 8:30 PM – 11:30 PM – Organizer Brett (RedCelica)
What: The Dragon Brew swap and tasting. Rules:
• Absolutely no one under 21 years of age is allowed to consume alcoholic beverages; Bring ID with you; we will be carding everyone and handing out wrist bands to confirm age
• Only registered attendees are allowed to participate. Wear your event lanyard as proof you registered, or you will be asked to leave.
• Clean up after yourself! Recycle and trash bins provided.
How it works:

• Bring some of your favorite beer to share
• Fill out a card that describes what you brought and why you like it
• An ice bin is located near the food. Chill your offerings, make some new friends
and experience some new beverages!
There is no formality to the swap - find something you like & make a swap with something you brought. THIS IS NOT A BEER GIVEAWAY! IF YOU DON'T BRING SOMETHING TO CONTRIBUTE, PLEASE
RESPECT YOUR FELLOW S2000 OWNERS AND DON'T HELP YOURSELF TO "FREE BEER "!
Located: The fire pit above the ball field.

Saturday, April 11th – The Big Day
8:00 AM – Late PM - Dent Removal – Organizer: Matt Moore
Matt will be doing dent removal at the car wash area near Wildwood Grill. Contact Matt to schedule an appointment.

8:30 – 9:00 AM – Line up for Monster Rollout
Begin lining up across from the General Store (near the ball field) for the “Monster Rollout.”

9:00 AM - Driver’s Meeting – Organizer: Ken (kgf3076)
TUNE to CHANNEL 4.0, the driver’s announcements will be via FRS radios.

DRIVE 9:15 AM - Monster Rollout and Group Photo – Organizer: Ken (kgf3076)
Through Hellbender and across the Dragon, ending at the (paved) Gravel lot on the TN side for the group photo.

DRIVE 11:00 AM – 4:30 PM - Cherohala Skyway and Lunch Run - Organizer: Phil (S2KHero)
A drive and lunch following the Monster Rollout, drive to Tellico Plains, TN at a rather brisk pace via some nice back roads. After lunch, the Cherohala Skyway. This drive will be spirited so come prepared. Departure: Leaving after the Monster Rollout from the WEST end of the lot across from the Smoky Mountain Harley Davidson store.

DRIVE 10:45 AM – 2:00 PM (Tentative) - Hill Tops & Hollers Run – Organizer: Ron (Ron)/Sheila (smccoy)
This drive will head to Happy Valley for a “spirited” romp through some twisty-turny back roads of TN. (Portions of this drive go through residential areas, so those sections will be quite moderate.) The drive will take approximately 1 hour, followed by lunch at a restaurant in Maryville, TN. Departure: Following the Monster Rollout and group photo, the drive will leave from the EAST end of the parking lot across from the Smoky Mountain Harley Davidson store. Be sure you're gassed up before the Monster rollout; the closest gas station will be Maryville.

Lunch - On your own. Deal’s Gap “Dragon Burgers” and Fontana’s Wildwood Grill recommended.

7:00 PM – 9:30 PM - Dinner Banquet: At the Rec Center next to the Wildwood Grill (Included as part of your registration; don’t forget your nametag!). Cash bar opens at 6:00PM. PLEASE NOTE: No outside alcohol is allowed; A full bar is available for alcohol purchases. Please respect and help us enforce this NC ABC requirement.

9:45 PM - ????? - Bourbon Tasting Organizer: Mike (Lovetodrive2000)
What: The Dragon Bourbon (and other spirits) tasting. Where/When: Fontana Lodge Lobby, right after the banquet. RULES: See Beer Swap rules above!

Sunday, April 12th – Departure Day
No planned activities. Many attendees gather at Deal’s Gap for breakfast before heading home. Drive safely and remember to mark your calendars for Dragon Fall Run 2015. Hope to see you then.

Reactions: Nix
Wow, my work week isn't that complicated.
TL;DR
Nah, just a lot of people and a lot of drives. We tend to do a bit of planning, it's like herding squirrels when you have over 100 cars come together at one time. :)

thread rename candidate.... tour of NC
That's just the Fontana Dam/Deal's Gap stuff. There are other drives that do explore more of NC. Ever hear of Little Switzerland? You should try Rt. 221 some time. It's a great road and has lots of challenges.

Nah, just a lot of people and a lot of drives. We tend to do a bit of planning, it's like herding squirrels when you have over 100 cars come together at one time. :)

I'm glad I'm not running an S2K, Miata, or Mini meet there. 40 cars is enough for me.

2014 for us was good, real chill & laid back with a small schedule of events, more time for actual driving and general BS'ing.

I'm glad I'm not running an S2K, Miata, or Mini meet there. 40 cars is enough for me.
2014 for us was good, real chill & laid back with a small schedule of events, more time for actual driving and general BS'ing.
It can get a bit hectic, but it's nice to see old friends at least once a year (even if it's for 10 minutes :D). I've been organizing the S2K Dragon events for over 5 years and the Spring meet is always the biggest and the Fall meet the smaller one.

Reactions: Nix
Allright, so I did not manage to get out of bed yesterday and put together a meaningful post before work... so to keep things organized and easy Im posting a new thread with all the details I have for our May non-Dragon event.

The short: You need to let me know if you are serious about attending as we will be booking a cabin/cabins based on number of people. I would like to take a deposit that will be applied towards lodging. Nothing major, like $30-50, just to secure you a spot. We would like to keep total cost to $200 or less for the week. Most likely way less.

Business thread:

http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/may-2015-non-dragon-official-business-thread.12740/

@kgf3076 's meet is very well organized and is another great opportunity to go driving. With both of these in the same "spring" season i hope everyone who wants to get out and drive will have the chance to attend one of these meets. Or both if you're that lucky!

Let's hear it for the D.O.T.... Both 226A Diamondback and Wolf Pen Gap, i.e. Blood Mtn. were repaved late last year. Since both roads are often considered more difficult than the Dragon (due to higher speeds) the repaving is really good news.

Nice to see some Civics (and a Focus) joining in on the fun (and did I mention food?).

Back