2nd oil change, wonder if this is ok

Matsweeper

New Jersey
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
Sedan
hey guys it's 11 degrees here where I am and just finished doing my old change. I love working of my card because I know exactly what is being done.

My first oil change was at 6,800 miles. I changed the oil and filter. I followed the MMA f when it hit 15% I did it.
Yesterday it hit 15% and the MM notified me. I am currently tot at 14,045 miles.

I like to think most of the oil change went pretty well except for one thing that I was a little concerned.

After popping the bottom cover off, I saw a small oil drip right under the bolt/washer to the oil pan. I saw a little bit of dried oil on the bottom of the oil pan as well but very little. It was not leaking or dropping continually.

Now before I did my oil change I drove my car for about 10-15 minutes to warm up the car. Parked it and started 10 minutes later. Last time I did my oil change I followed the 9lb oil filter, 29lb oil bolt pressure. Do you think perhaps I didn't tightened to well?

This got me a little worried and wanted to switch to OEM oil/filter but then I though, maybe I just didn't tighten the bolt enough.

This time is used 34lb of pressure for the bolt. And I hamd tightened the filter as it was a b@&))& to remove.

Any feedback, suggestions would be great! I am planning on checking down there again after a few hours of driving. What do you think?

Probably fine, but just out of curiosity, did you use a new crush washer on the oil pan bolt? You're *supposed* to use one every time. I rarely do on any of my cars and haven't ever had an issue, but...

Personally, I'd just clean it all off very well and recheck it later (and obviously check your oil level periodically)...

Oil could just be from not cleaning the area from the 1st oil change........ Change the crush washer...... Hand tighten the oil filter 3/4 turn from when it felt contact.......... Drain plug tighten to required spec's......
A few drops is not going to make any difference in general, but to say something isn't correct, like over/under tightening, or a crack that might get worse, etc.

Thanks for the reply guys.

After the oil change I drove it around and then I came home and opened up the bottom and it was clean. I did use a new crusher. I did use the 29lb bolt tight. Perhaps the wrench I used is off? So this time I tightened it to 34lb.

The filter I did use hand tight this time. It was Sooo tough to get the old one off when I ised 9lb from my wrench.

Anyway I will monitor it again after a few weeks but everything looks good. Thanks for the fast rely

The crush washer could definitely do that, because it did it with mine after I went 3 oil changes without replacing it

Did you rub oil around the rubber filter gasket before placing it on your car the first time? That can make a difference when trying to remove the filter.

Yeah I did run the new oil on. I will ad a little more next time though. Thanks for the advice!

Back