3rd Gear Grind

momo

Chicago, IL
Anyone have this happen to them?

Trying to shift and 3rd gear gives a horrible grinding noise...ugh

apparently this is also an issue with 8th gen owners as well

searching, and i haven't found any threads on this issue

no one else has this issue?

that vid and the protest stuff was on the home page of 8th for months. It had a petition and a list of users who had 3rd issues, etc. The one main person started a protest at his dealership and called the news. Soon after that vid aired, they released a "fix" for the 3rd gear.

that vid and the protest stuff was on the home page of 8th for months. It had a petition and a list of users who had 3rd issues, etc. The one main person started a protest at his dealership and called the news. Soon after that vid aired, they released a "fix" for the 3rd gear.

Dang....I missed all of that!

It's interesting that I'm hearing this about a 9th gen. It's also the 1st time I'm hearing it. Hopefully the dealer will fix that problem.

i asked the dealer and they say its driver error. clutch fully down and slam it into 3rd...if i slowly put it into 3rd it will wont grind. its really annoying

guessing this is only happening if you're at redline in 2nd - shifting into 3?

No issues with third (And my 2006 was an utterly nightmare with that issue). However, I have had some issues with second gear from to time, but I am unconvinced its the vehicle - I think its me being overly eager, as it usually occurs when shifting from 1 to 2 during high revs.

I haven't really heard many other users complain about 3rd gear issues in the 9th gen - my advice would be try swapping out the MTF fluid first.

i drove it all today and it doesnt do it. it could be me being over eager so who knows. change the fluid on it? it only has 12k on it

Some have swapped to Amsoil mtf as soon as they get the car.

No issues with third (And my 2006 was an utterly nightmare with that issue). However, I have had some issues with second gear from to time, but I am unconvinced its the vehicle - I think its me being overly eager, as it usually occurs when shifting from 1 to 2 during high revs.

I haven't really heard many other users complain about 3rd gear issues in the 9th gen - my advice would be try swapping out the MTF fluid first.

I too used to deal with second gear grinds during high reving. If you do not hold the clutch in long enough it will grind. I started doing that and I also changed the transmission fluid and that helped alot. I just purchased honda genuine tranny fluid for it.

Yeah, Ive been experiencing this occasionally... Thought it was just me being a little "eager" just like some other members stated. Maybe there is something going on. I have owned more manuals than automatics and don't remember any problems other than I know it was blatantly driver error.

:confuzzled:

Yeah, Ive been experiencing this occasionally... Thought it was just me being a little "eager" just like some other members stated. Maybe there is something going on. I have owned more manuals than automatics and don't remember any problems other than I know it was blatantly driver error.

Well know this. These transmissions are indestructible.. I taught my sister how to drive stick and she probably grinded second gear 30 times -_- and it still works perfectly fine. (and yes those grinds were driver error)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back