$40k to spend on a car - new or used

HeelsandEers

Motown, WV
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
FA5
What do you buy? This includes the price of the car + any modifications. This can either be a daily or a weekend/project/track car.

I already know my answer. I'll post in a little while.

Reactions: Nix
I also wanted to keep the $ threshold to a relatively low amount so there weren't as many "can't miss" new cars.

This is easy as that is my current budget. 2 options for me.... 70-72 Datsun 240z. $40k is plenty for the car and full restoration. Also RB26DETT engine swap ~650whp.

1971_datsun_240z-01.jpg

Or....

HAKOSUKA! 72' Skyline.

IMG_26261.jpg

Ok.. I'll go.

- AP1 or AP2 S2000. Clean, low mileage, for around $25k.
- GTX (prob 76r) based turbo kit - I'd aim to make about 550 rwhp
- Exhaust
- Clutch
- Hard top
- Misc supporting parts
- The rest of the money would go to a fund for a PPG trans

This is easy as that is my current budget. 2 options for me.... 70-72 Datsun 240z. $40k is plenty for the car and full restoration. Also RB26DETT engine swap ~650whp.

Love those cars. And RBs lol

I wouldn't mind going with a 92ish 240 fastback + full paint/restoration + RB swap

:drooling:

Last edited:
I was going to say NSX as well. :D

What do you really want though? Import or Domestic? Japanese or European?

Or for 30K you can have a turnkey LS1 Miata from Flyin' Miata out in Colorado. Seriously... send them the $$ and you can just go pick it up and drive off!

2013 Si Sedan with a bored K24 head to a K26. Bored header collector, higher compression ratio, I/DP/E, ported RBC, ZDX tb, big brake kit, full suspension, sport tires, and uses race gas.

Love those cars. And RBs lol

I wouldn't mind going with a 92ish 240 fastback + full paint/restoration + RB swap

:drooling:

A good S13 body is impossible to find. It would be a good project, but you'll need a beater to drive while the restoration is in progress.

I was going to say NSX as well. :D

What do you really want though? Import or Domestic? Japanese or European?

I've never been a domestic guy. Never will.

With that said.. I would seriously consider a 03-04 Cobra. KB 2.6 blower + bolt ons and hello to an easy 600 rwhp.

I've never been a domestic guy. Never will.

With that said.. I would seriously consider a 03-04 Cobra. KB 2.6 blower + bolt ons and hello to an easy 600 rwhp.

Green Mustang 302 Boss? You'll be Kene's best friend.

A good S13 body is impossible to find. It would be a good project, but you'll need a beater to drive while the restoration is in progress.

Indeed. Good thing is, you can pick them up dirt cheap and have a lot left over for the restoration. I think it would be tougher finding a RB :giggle:

Green Mustang 302 Boss? You'll be Kene's best friend.

:giggle:

If Kene ever gets a Kene Bell blower for his Mustang I will seriously lose it :rotfl:

Last edited:
Try to look for a solid 2nd gen NSX, like the one BlueBatmobile bought for $25k (w/ less than 20k miles). Then get a Comptech SC and exhaust. :drooling:

I looked for an nsx for under 45k and had no luck,I thought It would be possible,but nothing,maybe times have changed.that would be my choice, I almost bought a late model vette,but realized it had to be a honda or Acura,nsx would be my only choice in Acura .

Back