AC Compressor took a crap

lgaliza808

Kihei, Hawaii
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
I was slowing down to stop at the stoplight when i suddenly see white smoke and the smell of burnt brakes/clutch. At home I inspected that it was my AC compressor, and that my compressor has locked up. Won't turn at all; lucky thing the belt still spins freely though. I live in Vegas and want my AC fixed before next summer, and that gives me about 9 months. Can anyone give me any advice on what parts I need, and if I need any special tools or anything. Do i just need a compressor? Or do i have to change the condensor too? The AC compressor kits also have a drier. I have no idea what that is for, but I would like some knowledge about it. Also, I already had the freon or whatever that **** is drained from the system. Thanks 9th Civic.

the 2012 compressor breakdown is here - the compressor is like close to $200 off honda msrp here. They're also vendors replac. @CollegeHillsHonda
http://www.collegehillshondaparts.c...air-conditioning-cat/a-c-compressor-2-4l-scat

I've not done the job myself, so I can't speak for special tools.

you also qualify for their rewards pricing, so I'd see how much that may help you out
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/forum-rewards-pricing.2392/

is the belt toast as well?

I haven't inspected the belt but I might as well change it and the tensioner while I'm at it. I'm just hoping I don't have to drop the subframe because I hate doing that lol. i already did 2 clutch jobs on these cars and i just totally despise that part. The AC compressor is right up against it. I called couple shops and they told me the drier was built into the condensor, but looking at the kits; it shows the drier. I'm not sure if he is telling the truth, or maybe there are si's that have the drier built in. I need to take apart the car to find out. Thanks for those links tho webby!

After looking at those links, do you think i am just able to replace the clutch on the compressor?

I took a look at my car today and the drier is removable from the condenser but i read online that everything should replaced anyways. When a AC compressor locks up, pieces of the clutch and other pieces of metal will get sucked into the condenser. I have ordered parts already and will make a write-up for this job since it has not been done yet. I'm just going to use a cheap compressor for now, because those denso ones cost over 500$.

Back