DIY ADExternal's 2012 Honda Civic Reverse Backup Camera DIY

That site is for the last gen euro models overseas. It's a hatchback model civic that is totally different.
@webby while I agree that this is for a totally different model, there is a guy there that sells a cable, which supposely connects to the back of the NAV units of either acura/honda so that you can hook up a back up camera to it. Since it is not possible with this mod to use a backup camera for those who have a NAV unit, I was just wondering if this would work for them. There should be a green connector on the back of the unit where this cable fits.

After much thought and research, I am happy to say I was able to successfully install a back-up camera thanks to ADExternal's tutorial! Thanks so much!!

Some issues I ran into: running the pins into the connector was very challenging. I accidentally broke on of them into the connector and literally had to hack it out with a saw.
Also, after connecting everything together and putting everything back, all of a sudden my car went bonkers and thought all the electronic systems (ABS, power steering, TCS, etc.) had failed! But everything was working fine actually, and after driving around a bit those very concerning-looking errors went away.

Attachments

• WP_20140719_15_41_22_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140719_15_41_22_Pro.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 71
  • WP_20140719_18_37_27_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140719_18_37_27_Pro.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 67
Hey guys, sorry to be a bother and if anyone has the time i would appreciate the help. A while back my dad tried to get one installed at the dealership and they wanted something ridiculous, like $500. Recently he left the country for a one month vacation for his birthday and I thought this would be a perfect gift for him to see when he got back. I am pretty confident that I can follow the directions and hopefully complete this successfully without destroying his car :) Is there anyone who can link me to working links of the parts I need to complete this? the links no longer work and i don't want to buy a camera that I'm not 100% sure would work with this DIY. I just want everything to be as close to the directions as possible, so i don't run into any complications. THANKS in advance guys.

Edit: i saw a link to this camera in the comments http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Rear-Vi...r_View_Monitors_Cams_Kits&hash=item1e7d30d7d7. does this camera have guidelines? i dont see it anywhere

Last edited:
im having a bit of trouble guys. would really appreciate some help asap. I put the car into reverse and i get nothing. i checked pin 14 to see if current is running through and there is. so my tappers worked. im guessing its a problem with my pins? im not sure. i pop the black thing out a bit on the 32pin connector and push the three pins in as much as i can. close the black thing, connect the wire then throw the car in reverse and nothing changes on the imid

i think pins pins are too big.... if that's possible. i dont see them from the other side of the connector. and they are too big for that hole on the side that gets plugged in

tried my best to show the size here. does this look normal?

Attachments

• 1409010857132.1.jpg
    1409010857132.1.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 55
Those pins look like the same ones I used. I squeezed them with pliers to get them small enough to go farther into the hole. I did not hear any clicking noise. I remember being worried that they would go too far and get stuck because they were tight. Once you get them deep enough and get contact you should get the results you want though.

im gonna try doing that tomorrow. its late here now. thanks for the help. now my DRLs are not turning on. any ideas??

nvmd they come on after i started driving... weird.

thanks a lot man. ill keep you updated if i get it working

Last edited:
im gonna try doing that tomorrow. its late here now. thanks for the help. now my DRLs are not turning on. any ideas??

nvmd they come on after i started driving... weird.

thanks a lot man. ill keep you updated if i get it working
DRLs won't work if emergency brake is on. Haha. Exact same thing happened to me!

Ya, good idea to wait until tomorrow. From one Pauly to another, you got to be patient hooking up those pins. It is the most difficult part. It will all be worth it.

@Pauly99to17 didnt get a chance to work on the car today. Last days to go to the beach before school haha. However, I did find pins from an old computer case that seem a lot better. The wire is noticeably skinnier than the wire on the pins i was trying to use previously. Might be able to get them pushed in further with these. Heres a pic

Attachments

• IMG_20140826_221636.jpg
    IMG_20140826_221636.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
@Pauly99to17 didnt get a chance to work on the car today. Last days to go to the beach before school haha. However, I did find pins from an old computer case that seem a lot better. The wire is noticeably skinnier than the wire on the pins i was trying to use previously. Might be able to get them pushed in further with these. Heres a pic
Looks promising. Good luck!

@Pauly99to17 @ADExternal Hey guys. I finally got this working!! thanks for all your help. one thing i noticed is there are double guidelines.. im guessing some are from the camera on top of the imid display. not that big of a deal though. Pins were def. the hardest part. need a little more work on making the camera fit perfectly but its all good and working. thanks for the guide and thanks for the help Pauly.

@Pauly99to17 @ADExternal I finally got this working!! one thing i noticed is there are double guidelines.. im guessing some are from the camera on top of the imid display. not that big of a deal though. thanks for the guide and thanks for the help Pauly.
Woohoo! You are welcome. Glad I could help.
You can get rid of one set of guidelines. I will try to find the thread that shows you how when I have a chance.

Woohoo! You are welcome. Glad I could help.
You can get rid of one set of guidelines. I will try to find the thread that shows you how when I have a chance.

No rush, its not bothering me too much. :) Thank you though, I appreciate it. I'll do some research myself to try and find the thread. Now I'm off to home depot to get the materials for your bumper screen DIY!

***** I'd just like to add if anyone needs help, I have some knowledge after this and a few pics*****

Back