Advice on private sale

Kevv_Si

Indianapolis
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
FB6
hey guys soo I sold my 9th to a local guy here that kept bugging me to buy it...well he kept going up on price until I finally agreed and met him on Saturday for the transaction. He got a loan through state farm and his agent made me sign power of attorney and payoff request along with copies of the cars registration. She then adviced me I had to hand over the keys...so I did and made him sign the legal doc I have attached and he gave me the cash part that he agreed to give me aside from the payoff amount. Soo fast forward today I get a text from his loan officer that he didn't want to sign the closing docs and that he now wants to revert everything. I feel like I shouldn't have to do anything because it was a done deal but my issue is the car still has a lien on it that he was supposed to pay through the loan he got but now that's all in the air cause he decided to back out. Should I seek legal action or just give the cash back and get my car back and never speak to this person again?

Last edited:
So I take it you never got the check from State Farm since he didn't sign the paperwork on his end? If you did get the check, did you cash the check ....& its cleared?

i dont think you should have gave him the keys unless he cut you a check. How long did he keep the car for? You should charge his *** for the length of time he kept the car. Im assuming this is the civic in your build thread. If it is i think you should charge him for the rental of your car(9th gen like that is a previlage to drive). Also do a complete visual and mechanical inspection of your car. Anything he could have damaged or modified while he had it in his possession. I understand your issue with the lein not getting paid off, but i think you should be able to keep some or all that deposit. Point blank. You took a risk giving him the keys without finalized bank documents but he also took a risk being indecisive and handing you a deposit. Hopefully it all works out for you bro. Goodluck. And i love that 9th gen!

Also forgot to tell you if you plan on going the legal route. Becarefull what you post on here it could possibly be used agains u.

Biggest thing is I would make sure the car is in the same condition if not charge him for it. Sounds like a crappy situation but if the car is in the same condition and hasn't really been driven then I would just refund it back and get your car back and just be done with it you never know what will happen the longer its drawn out. Hope it all gets figured out for you, sucks ive followed your build thread such a beautiful car.

Honestly most attorneys have free first consultations. Maybe meet with one and seek advice from that end? They will usually tell you whether they recommend legal action or not.

hey guys soo I sold my 9th to a local guy here that kept bugging me to buy it...well he kept going up on price until I finally agreed and met him on Saturday for the transaction. He got a loan through state farm and his agent made me sign power of attorney and payoff request along with copies of the cars registration. She then adviced me I had to hand over the keys...so I did and made him sign the legal doc I have attached and he gave me the cash part that he agreed to give me aside from the payoff amount. Soo fast forward today I get a text from his loan officer that he didn't want to sign the closing docs and that he now wants to revert everything. I feel like I shouldn't have to do anything because it was a done deal but my issue is the car still has a lien on it that he was supposed to pay through the loan he got but now that's all in the air cause he decided to back out. Should I seek legal action or just give the cash back and get my car back and never speak to this person again?
View attachment 51110

On the surface I'd get my car back ASAP and hope that the whole thing wasn't some sort of scam; or worse.
(In the future, suggest blanking out real names on "documents" you post or it may come back to "bite you".

Got my car back, spoke with my lawyer and made him sign a document and fully inspected and test drove my car...it's fine thank god. Never dealing with that again ...my mistake was handing him the keys without verifying lien has been satisfied. His loan officer insisted that I did soo I deff won't be doing that again. Lesson learned, thanks guys!

i dont think you should have gave him the keys unless he cut you a check. How long did he keep the car for? You should charge his *** for the length of time he kept the car. Im assuming this is the civic in your build thread. If it is i think you should charge him for the rental of your car(9th gen like that is a previlage to drive). Also do a complete visual and mechanical inspection of your car. Anything he could have damaged or modified while he had it in his possession. I understand your issue with the lein not getting paid off, but i think you should be able to keep some or all that deposit. Point blank. You took a risk giving him the keys without finalized bank documents but he also took a risk being indecisive and handing you a deposit. Hopefully it all works out for you bro. Goodluck. And i love that 9th gen!
Thank you!

Biggest thing is I would make sure the car is in the same condition if not charge him for it. Sounds like a crappy situation but if the car is in the same condition and hasn't really been driven then I would just refund it back and get your car back and just be done with it you never know what will happen the longer its drawn out. Hope it all gets figured out for you, sucks ive followed your build thread such a beautiful car.
Thank you! Yes I kept 600 from the 5k we agreed on because of the hassle.

Honestly most attorneys have free first consultations. Maybe meet with one and seek advice from that end? They will usually tell you whether they recommend legal action or not.
Thanks I spoke with my personal lawyer!

Wow, I just read this all. What a nightmare man.
Tell me about it! This thing is my baby I'm just happy I've got her back unharmed and it's all over with! It only had 8 more miles from when I handed over the keys lol.

Reactions: Nix
Im thinking the kid **** his pants first day he dropped the throttle and never got back in the car thus having to give you back your si

Im thinking the kid **** his pants first day he dropped the throttle and never got back in the car thus having to give you back your si
I think so too lol! I Made it very clear to him all the maintenance involved with owning this car...maybe he just didn't know what he got himself into.

Back