DIY Amp and Speaker replacement in 2012 LX

Pauly99to17

Ville de Quebec
Vehicle Model
2012 LX
Body Style
Dyno Blue Pearl Sedan (FB2)
I am just adding a little more information to this DIY how to hook up an amp and sub by @S. Kusen
Check it out here.
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/2...ll-high-level-inputs-from-rear-speakers.8820/

Another handy DIY for removing rear panel in a Coupe. http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/2012-civic-rear-speaker-replacement.3859/

I changed all my speakers and added two amps. 1 amp (Alpine m-300) powers the speakers and the other (Alpine m-500) powers the subwoofer.

One thing that I had to do some research about was the positive and negative wire colours because the non premium wires are not the same colours as the premium systems. So here is the what you need to know to get the signal back to your amplifier.

< Front Left
Red +
purple -

Front Right >
Gray +
Brown -

< Rear Left
Yellow +
Brown -

Rear Right >
Blue +

Orange -

This was my first time installing a stereo and it took me a while to understand that the sound signal did not need to come from behind the Head Unit (HU). I have drawn a diagram that be of help for any inexperienced installers like myself.

image.jpg

The reason the front signal wires and new output speaker wires should be run on the right hand side of the car is because you do not want to take the chance of these wires picking up static if they are run along side the power wire.

Rear speaker replacement
Side panel removal. Open door. Move weather stripping out of the way. Look carefully at the picture below where the two green clips are located so you know where to pull. Panel simply pops off. (Do not need to worry about airbag deploying. Haha). There is a white clip that will need to be put back when you remove this cover. This clip holds the cover so if the airbag does go off one day the cover will not going flying. You can pop up the side seat section and move them to the outside to give you more room to get at the panel. This seat section comes off too if you want. It is held on by one bolt at the bottom. I didn't need to do that though. Check the other DIY if you want to remove this section.

Not a great picture of the clip, but you can see the clip location here.

image.jpg

Close up of black clip and white tab.

image.jpg

It should say BLACK clip in this photo.

image.jpg

Black clip thing reinserted.

image.jpg

This is what that clip looks like before the panel came off.

image.jpg

image.jpg

There is one clip to detach that is for the brake light wires before you pull the large panel straight back. Pull the exterior seat parts up and then off to the side a little so the large panel can slide back.

Speakers are attached by one Philips screw. The screw hole did not line up well and my replacement speakers did not sit flat. I ended up just hot gluing them in there.

Stock speakers. One screw - bolt. Detached brake light plug.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Front Speaker Replacement

Taking the door panel off was not as difficult as it looks. Admittedly, I was a little intimidated by this part, but it went very smooth and was very easy.

Take off the door handle cover by pushing the little tab down. There is a screw to take off behind this cover. Take off door handle moulding. It simply pops off. Detach two clips for wire clusters. There is one last screw to take off behind this moulding to take off.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Look carefully at the picture to see where green clips are located so you know where to pull. Start at the bottom and pull to unclip them one at a time. Once you have the bottom detached you need to pull the panel in an upwards direction. You can see in the picture (2 below) how at the top of the panel it is in a U form.

image.jpg View attachment 48966

image.jpg

image.jpg

Important tips
*Make sure you run all your wires at the same time to save time. You need to run 4 wires (speaker wires) down the right side of the car and 2 down the left side (the cable wire and the remote wire).
*when running the 2 speaker wires through the dash, open the glove box so you can more easily have access to the wires.
When you wire tap into the fuse box find a fuse that is strong enough (15 v fuse minimum) and turns off when you turn off the car or you will drain your battery.
image.jpg

Ground location behind seat. Just lift up carpet. You should sand the paint off that is under the bracket to ensure you have a solid ground.

image.jpg

image.jpg

At the end of this install I added another amp to power my subwoofer. Simply run one RCA cable from your speaker amp from Preout signal to the signal in on the sub amp. Run a wire from the Remote on your speaker amp to the remote on your sub amp. Ground this amp in same position as the first one. Connect subwoofer with speaker wire. You will need to add a power cable splitter. See diagram.

image.jpg

@webby Can you change the title to "Add Amps and Speaker Replacement 2012 LX). Thanks

Last edited:
Back