Anyone ever do trans work??? Please help

View: http://youtu.be/Bg3Qz87Up9s

Ok soo i finally figured out how to do it...
The first video you can hear it as im coasting..
The second video you can see me spin the axle.. You can also see the gear inside the transmission fill hole.. When the gear jams, the axle can still spin.. It might be the final drive..

And these are pictures of the final drive (not mine, just samples).. I figure i should give some info in case some dont know.. Because i know this has been a learning experience for me..
Ill let evereyone know how it goes..
Thanks for the help!!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 13
I had an RO with the same symptoms and when i took it for a test drive and ran through stethoscope diag and the works it sounded like the diff so i removed the tranny and replaced the diff only to still hear the noise...called extended warranty and they said to just throw parts at it..next part was the counter shaft so pressed all the gears and bearings off and i replaced the shaft and the noise was gone after replacing both parts, not sure if it was both or just the countershaft but in the end i just wish the whole unit was replaced..a lot easier but cost the customer a lot more money
That sucks!!! You Must have been real stressed out!! Well i really hope my guy does the right thing

This is not something i would recommend messing with personally. This is one of the times its easier to just take it to a pro. I haven't worked on a k series tranny but I tried to save some money on my d series trans by replacing a bearing myself. Thing was never the same again and I wound up just shelling out to buy a race prepped trans which is what I should have done in the first place.
So how was the new tranny?? Could you feel a big difference??

View: http://youtu.be/Bg3Qz87Up9s

Ok soo i finally figured out how to do it...
The first video you can hear it as im coasting..
The second video you can see me spin the axle.. You can also see the gear inside the transmission fill hole.. When the gear jams, the axle can still spin.. It might be the final drive..

I'd be currious to see if @jrotax101 knows what's happening there in that vid? I've never done trans work.

Clutch is toast too.. I cant believe that.. Only 6,000 miles on it.. I dont even beat on it that much.. Competition clutch stage 4 unsprung...
My mechanic said the unsprung clutch and the down shift into 4th is what caused this... O well.. Im looking foward to my newly biult tranny!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 17
Clutch is toast too.. I cant believe that.. Only 6,000 miles on it.. I dont even beat on it that much.. Competition clutch stage 4 unsprung...
My mechanic said the unsprung clutch and the down shift into 4th is what caused this... O well.. Im looking foward to my newly biult tranny!!!

Thinking about changing the ratios at all?

what did you decide for the rebuilt trans gears? Sucks to see, but thank you for posting pictures of what it looked like.

DAMN!

No.. That gets real expensive!! I have to get a new oem 4th gear.. He said i cant even upgrade just that gear.. I would have to change all of them..
We are talking about heat treating the gears right now.. Not sure if i wanna do that though.. But definetly getting rid of that clutch, adding new bearings and syncros, and he just told me the flywheel needs to be re surfaced haha.. I might get a new one. Dont wanna decrease clamping force

what did you decide for the rebuilt trans gears? Sucks to see, but thank you for posting pictures of what it looked like.
No problem.. I explained it all in squiggys post.. I would have loved to change ratios but its a lot of money.. But how does everyone feel about the new set up ill be getting?? Heat treating?? Any good clutch/ fly wheel recomendations??

No problem.. I explained it all in squiggys post.. I would have loved to change ratios but its a lot of money.. But how does everyone feel about the new set up ill be getting?? Heat treating?? Any good clutch/ fly wheel recomendations??

Please for the love of God. Upgrade all the gears while it's out. Unless you feel like doing this again in 10k miles. I already told you it was 4th. Your trans guy said it was the diff. Now I'm telling you upgrade the gears and synchro while it's out..... your mechanic says "heat treat" a new oem 4th. You decide. Lol. But don't come here seeking advice and not take it. :)

Please for the love of God. Upgrade all the gears while it's out. Unless you feel like doing this again in 10k miles. I already told you it was 4th. Your trans guy said it was the diff. Now I'm telling you upgrade the gears and synchro while it's out..... your mechanic says "heat treat" a new oem 4th. You decide. Lol. But don't come here seeking advice and not take it. :)
Ok.. Have you looked up the cost of all that?? Then changing bearings, syncros, clutch, etc!!! The mech has a great rep.. And i dont beat on my car much to have to change every gear. He said every other gear is mint!! I got pics.. 4th gear broke because of a heavy down shift with a rigid, harsh clutch..
The mechanic saw the video and suggested it might be the diff!! And i think ill listen to a guy who was a master mech for 14 years at honda and constantly works on these cars before i listen to someone i never speak to..
Heat treating all the gears and shafts is an experiment well see if it works.. These transmissions break!!! Its part of the game!! My new clutch will help prevent this too.. But thanks for the advice bro.. Eventhough i was just giving input while trying to get it as well.. This site is ll about learning to me.. Thats why i love it.
And of course you said it was fourth!!! Its always fourth!! That was an easy one

Im doing new 4th, syncros seals and bearings all around, new unsprung clutch, flywheel

The way i see it... I have learned alot from this .. And thanks to everyone that helped.. I use to ask the worst questions haha.. So if/when it brakes again, ill have alot more knowledge and money to throw a new $7,000 (and up) gear set in by myself

I know plenty of 'master mechanics' that can't troubleshoot their way out of a plastic bag. Just saying. Good luck with the build. Hope it doesn't pop again.

Back