Anyone upgraded their rearview mirror to auto-dim / homelink?

I did the OEM one today. It wasn't a bad install other than the side panel on the dashboard totally got stuck and the plastic tore, which means I have to go buy a new one, but it's a $10 part (I looked it up before I messed it up). I like how it works and really tones down the glare you get from the people in higher vehicles and projectors and when nobody is behind you it quickly reverts to an undimmed state rather quickly.

Some folks have apparently had issues with the compass staying calibrated and I don't know if they know they have a pamphlet in their glovebox, perhaps they should. Anyway, here is the OEM pamphlet.
Auto-dimmingpage1_zps51999120.jpg
Auto-dimmingpage2_zpsaa2b2a0d.jpg

Has anyone used all three wires from light and sunroof harness? My cabin lights always have power and sunroof is switched with key. Reading other post I'm thinking pull constant from light harness , switched/ground from sunroof harness. Can this be done as I'm ready to install homelink mirror?

FYI if you have a sunroof you can get power and ground from sunroof harness. There is no need to run wire across headliner and down A pillar to fuse box.

Tonight I just installed the Gentex 177 auto-dim compass mirror in both my Civic Si and my wife's CR-Z. I bought the respective attachment harness for each and an adapter for the CR-Z. They both went in easily. I have another for our Mazda5. I need to figure out how to installone in the S2000 too. S2000 will probably need tohave a button glued to the winshield. I drove boththe Si and the CR-Z after installation and they work great. I'm really glad I'm installing these mirrors.

FYI if you have a sunroof you can get power and ground from sunroof harness. There is no need to run wire across headliner and down A pillar to fuse box.

I know this post was a little old, but I just ordered this mirror for my 2015 Civic EX-L. Was hoping you could give me a little detail on which wires I want to connect the mirror to. I do have the power moonroof so I should be able to connect it to everything right there.

Thanks!

It was so long ago a cant remember the color of the wires. It was easy to figure out with test light. Once I figured out what was constant hot, keyed hot, and ground. I used the wire taps so I wouldn't have to cut in to any wires.

Just order the OEM auto-dim mirror and harness from any Honda dealer. You don't have to mess with any cutting or other nonsense. You just follow the directions and hook up to the wiring already installed. Why reinvent the wheel when Momma Honda has already done it for you?

Just order the OEM auto-dim mirror and harness from any Honda dealer. You don't have to mess with any cutting or other nonsense. You just follow the directions and hook up to the wiring already installed. Why reinvent the wheel when Momma Honda has already done it for you?

Honda doesn't have one with Homelink built in. That's the main reason I want it. I'm still shocked my 2015 ex-l civic doesn't have that built in.

Thanks
Bill

It was so long ago a cant remember the color of the wires. It was easy to figure out with test light. Once I figured out what was constant hot, keyed hot, and ground. I used the wire taps so I wouldn't have to cut in to any wires.

I have a multimeter. I should be able to find it using that I'd think. Ground would almost for sure be a black wire or at least be easy to spot. Will I take the constant power from the dome light and the keyed hot from the moonroof? Is there any documentation for those connectors or no?

Any advice for getting the dome light off so I don't break it? I haven't found any directions yet for taking it out.

Thanks!
Bill

I did the OEM one today. It wasn't a bad install other than the side panel on the dashboard totally got stuck and the plastic tore, which means I have to go buy a new one, but it's a $10 part (I looked it up before I messed it up). I like how it works and really tones down the glare you get from the people in higher vehicles and projectors and when nobody is behind you it quickly reverts to an undimmed state rather quickly.

Some folks have apparently had issues with the compass staying calibrated and I don't know if they know they have a pamphlet in their glovebox, perhaps they should. Anyway, here is the OEM pamphlet.
Auto-dimmingpage1_zps51999120.jpg
Auto-dimmingpage2_zpsaa2b2a0d.jpg

I calibrated mine in a large Publix shopping center parking lot. Had to drive around in relatively small circles about 5-6 times or so. The look on peoples faces were priceless.

Honda doesn't have one with Homelink built in. That's the main reason I want it. I'm still shocked my 2015 ex-l civic doesn't have that built in.

Thanks
Bill
Yeah, Honda is pretty lame with their feature selections. Honda reserves HomeLink for the Accord EX-L V6 models only. They don't even offer it on the Accord EX-L 4-Cyl. So no chance you would ever see HomeLink in a Civic, unless you install the aftermarket mirror with HomeLink. I am not a fan of auto-dimming mirrors because I hate the greenish appearance. That's why tinted windows solve that problem.

So I installed the mirror over the weekend. Tapped into the map light power easily. Homelink worked perfect. Took the ground from the screw holding up the map light assembly. Had a harder time finding the correct wire from the sunroof controls for ignition power. I used a multimeter and had about 4 that showed power only with the ignition on. I finally got one to work (yellow wire) and all was good.

The only problem I am having though is the mirror powers off every time the door opens. At first I didn't care, but every time I open the door the mirror powers back on if I had it off already. Kind of annoying if I don't want it on during the day. Suggestions?

Thanks
Bill

Sounds like you tapped the interior light instead of constant while ignition is on?

It appears that you are correct. If I turn off my dome light the auto dim goes off. Could you give me some tips on how to find the right wire? If I take down the map light assembly that has teh sunroof controls there are 2 plugs. One is for the map light. (2 wires) I took the homelink from that. The other plug is about 8 or 10 wires. Any idea which wire I want to use or how to figure it out with a multimeter? I saw like 4 that showed me about 12v.

Thanks!
Bill

@bill55 which mirror did you go with and where did you purchase?

I will prob end up getting one closer to spring time. Mainly just want the home link.....

Back