Are HID's interchangeable?

WhiteFG4

Arizona
Vehicle Model
Civic si
Body Style
Coupe
So I was wondering if the hid kit I have on my 97 civic would be transferable to my 2012 civic? I dont know the specs of the lights or ballast, but just wanted to know of it was even possible to swap them. Thanks for any info.

I believe only the ballasts are interchangeable. The 1997 Civics have 9003/HB2 bulbs and the 2012 Civics have 9006.

97 civic -Low Beam Headlight Bulb Size: 9003/HB2
High Beam Headlamp Light Bulb Size: 9003/HB2

2012- 9006

you may be able to get a ballast adapter to work depending on what your ballasts are? Can you post pics?
or you could call them - they have a number of adapters that may work depending on what you have. http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php?cPath=26

You could prob buy bulbs alone as mentioned above....as long as the connections look like the pics below and you get bulbs that fit 9006.

9006_Type_HID_Lamp.jpg

or like this that has 2 different types of connections...

main%20hid%20kit%20light%20bulb.jpg

Webby is right. The ballasts for the HB2 bulbs may be different.

But I'm pretty sure they are the same. Lol. I wouldn't say I'm 100%.

Post pics of the connections that come off the ballast and we could let you know better.

you can use your aftermarket ballasts but the bulbs would need to be 9006... the type connector type you see up top is to go from a non 9006 bulb connector to 9006 connector which the ballasts take.. you could easily just plug in your stock 9006 connector into the ballasts.. i always recommend using a relay harness though so you dont have problems with the hids starting up.. hids take more amperage when they first start up.. more amperage than halogens.. so if you dont use a relay, sometimes one ballast might not fire on the first try.. i also do recommend doing a retrofit instead of just sticking hid bulbs in.. yes the cutoffs on the stock reflectors are ok and can sort of handle the hids but they will still glare..

ok...i bought a high beam 55w kit, so can i use 35w bulbs? or do i need to buy a 35w ballast too? since theres already a thread started, thought id ask too... i understand the 35w run alot cooler than the 55w, not as much chance of melting the highbeam housing.. thank you :)

yes you can but the bulb life will be shortened.. its also not a good idea to run hids in the high beam because if you use flash to pass, you will shorten the life of the bulb and the ballast.. also you cant run it as a drl..

yes you can but the bulb life will be shortened.. its also not a good idea to run hids in the high beam because if you use flash to pass, you will shorten the life of the bulb and the ballast.. also you cant run it as a drl..

thanks for the info... i understand true HID housings are totally different than HIDs in stock halogen housings... i live in a rural area where i usually drive highways at night and dont pass that much oncoming traffic... and i've learned not to flash anyone coz most times they arent highbeaming me, im just blinded by oncoming traffic in general, hence why i dont think i'd ever do HID low beams, its just more about common courtesy to me....

Back