ATF replacement interval?

FG3_drv

Hi all,
Coming up on 45k and have auto transmission, cannot seem to find maintenance schedule for my car. Anyone knows how often one should change their ATF?

I dont have a 9th gen manual handy but generally every 30k you should do one drain and flush. I change mine much more often and the difference in shifting is noticeable. Its a very very easy 5 min job that will cost you ~$30.

Buy 3qts of atf from local dealer and a new drain plug crush washer.

Remove drain plug with a 3/8 socket wrench. No socket needed just the square end of the wrench. Wait till fluid stops dripping out. Install new crush washer and plug.

Refill from the top, 3qts or just a little less, with a long funnel. Its the yellow dipstick.

Drive until the car is hot and check the fluid level. I believe HOT is stamped into the dipstick.

Thats it.

Itll help your transmission last longer too. If its been a while you can repeat the same procedure after a quick lap around the block. You dont have to warm the car up. Just cycle the fluid and do a second drain/fill. The fluid breaks down overtime and from heat.

Yea if you keep up on it regularly then an actual flush isn't really necessary. Simple drain and fill will keep things in check as Nix said. 30k is a good early mark and 50k is about the highest I'd recommend to friends that care about maintenance. If your a harder driver on your car, like myself, opt for the earlier option. You will never (or rarely) have issues if you keep on top of things.

I change my MTF in the SI every oil change as I drive spirited a lot and just wear the oil down quicker. 10k miles max to give you an idea.

Thank you for input everyone, so I don't need to take the transmission pan off and replace filter?

Unless your making your trans work hard I wouldn't worry about a filter change for at least the 100k+ mark and if you just drain and fill every 50k you shouldn't ever have to touch it. But it's what makes you feel comfortable

Thank you for input everyone, so I don't need to take the transmission pan off and replace filter?

No. On the AT just doing a drain and fill is sufficient. Its very very easy. Just check the yellow ATF dipstick when the car is hot. The filter is buried below the stock air box and it pretty hard to remove and change. I have not seen anyone replace theirs unless they were having a major issue. Just doing regular drain/fill helps a ton.

With the D/F you're pretty much only getting out the amount that the torque convertor holds. Doing it a couple times in a row helps change out a significant portion of the fluid. Never hook it up to a machine and don't let any of the instant oil change places offer to "flush" your system. There are a bunch of check valves in there that you can damage. Also the Honda AT works more like a manual with clutch packs. Over time clutch debris builds up and can clog the pickup screens and ATF filter. Its part of why swapping the fluid helps the whole system last longer.

Take a look at the fluid coming out. If its very dark you may want to do a second D/F. If it comes out pretty close to the clear red color of the new stuff one swap should be good.

AT fun:

http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/diy-at-transmission-cooler-dx-lx-ex-not-for-cvt.13700/#post-370823

The drain/fill is just that first part. Up to where he refills it. That should be all you need to do a couple times.

Back