Bad spot for a firewall pass thru?

mythic01

DuKy5T7l.jpg

Just had a alarm put in on my 9th gen civic. This is where they chose to pass through the firewall. To me, this looks like a poor choice when there are smaller unused grommets/plugs available. The area they chose to pass through looks like the major wiring artery from the battery to the interior fuse box. I'm a little disappointed they would choose to f**k with it. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
What concern do you have? Is it not working properly?

What concern do you have? Is it not working properly?

No major concerns.
I am however not entirely impressed with this passthrough as I have heard using such a major factory artery can cause damage to other wiring and possible leakage?
Especially when other grommets/plugs are available for use.

There is a wiring harness in that rubber boot, but chances of them "puncturing" a wire or "artery" is low. Usually there is a very thick rubber over the wiring harness to prevent abrasion with the firewall and keep out water, dirt, bugs.

This was prob the easiest for them to do, but if it was just for 12v power they could have just tap into the fuse box inside the car... Yes it could have been laziness too because they did not "look", you do not need much experience for installation, but experience helps with projects like this

I have done this before a couple reasons, the rubber grommet keeps out the water and dirt, there's already a hole in the firewall so no drilling just piercing the rubber to make a hole, no drilling into a plastic cover in the firewall then using a rubber gasket to prevent abrasion, or I did not have a grommet to go over a firewall opening.

Back