Basic engine question.....

hawk02

Rhode Island
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
I just got a 2015 Si coupe and was wondering about the engine internals, not for modding purposes but with a 7,000rpm redline I'm assuming it has forged internals or am I wrong????? Just wondering, thanks.......

If its forged thats great, just wanted to know, thanks for the response......

The 8th gen k20 had a 8000rpm redline, and it was raised with hondata flashpro. It's specs-

Civic Si Powertrain At-A-Glance : Engine
* Aluminum block with cast-in iron liners for light weight and durability
* 16-valve DOHC i-VTEC "intelligent" valve-control system
* Lightweight alloy pistons and forged steel connecting rods (11.0:1 Compression Ratio)
* One-piece crankshaft carrier with ferrous main bearing caps for improved rigidity and durability
* High performance camshafts
* Performance-tuned intake manifold
* Drive-by-wire throttle control
* Computer-controlled Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) * Direct Ignition System
* Chain-driven balancer unit mounted in oil pan
* Torque rod engine mount system consists of an upper and lower torque rod, a hydraulic body mount and a front beam stopper
* Maintenance Minder system
* Maintenance-free silent-chain camshaft drive
* Maintenance-free serpentine accessory drive with auto tensioner

I don't have a list, but I'd wager it's identical. Someone else may have a list.

I would think they are similar, but the term forged can be misleading to some. My understanding is that forging is a process and not all forged rods are the same or hold the same strength. That would come down to how the rod was designed (size and shape) as well as the material used. That being said I have read articles about high horsepower k series engines on stock internals. The k20 has proven to be a fantastic engine for modification, and so far it seems the industry is slowly trying to test the limits and capabilities of the k24 that we are running in the 9th gen.

Reactions: Nix
Back