BMW M3 Track Car

Got the rear calipers on. Still waiting for the front brackets. Hopefully they arrive today or tomorrow as I'm scheduled to be at Road Atlanta this weekend. Cutting it close :facepalm:

2011-11-12163107.jpg

2011-11-12164220.jpg

Picked up a set of Hoosier scrubs. New tires were a little too expensive ATM and no point in buying a set to let them sit all winter.

The caliper is fine - the rotor is loose ( no set screw), so when the wheel isn't on it just sits on the studs at whatever angle gravity decides.

The finish of the calipers are temporary.. Whenever I have time/funds they'll be refinished properly.

leave it to the Duke to half a$$ a project..................lol

The rear caliper looks like you used a black magic marker on it. LOL

I'm going to see how they look once heat cycled.. then probably refinish early next year. I have the paint and clearcoat for them, just stripping w/o media blasting has been rather problematic.

Because notashowcar

Thanks thevietkid33, I would like an e92 when I'm done with school also.

Road Atlanta:

I ran a 1:38.5 in the second session on Saturday w/ a 160lb passenger.
Until..
Rear brake line came loose ( going to swap to a banjo fitting).. It's rubbing on my rear coilover
Session 5: Bad misfire, lost all power. Codes read misfire in #4,5,6.
All day the LSD was getting worse and worse, just spinning the inside wheel coming out of 7 and 10b :-(
Front BBK brackets did not show up until 3:30pm - missed the window of opportunity for a family member to bring them to the track.
Sunday morning: moderate rain. Went to swap the front calipers, all was fine until I tried undoing the UUC SS line from the stock hard line and a flare nut wrench stripped the 11mm nut on the hard line because the UUC fitting looks like it corroded badly. - Missed two sessions and put stock calipers back on.
3rd session, I made the decision to put the BBS RK's on because I didn't fancy putting a useless heat cycle on the Hoosiers. Did one slow session running around in the low 1:5x's on RE01R's and came in. THREE of them had cracks on numerous spokes where the spoke meets the barrel. - I bought them used, they were fine, and this was the first time I'd driven the car with them on.
After that, put the hoosiers on and did one session on a drying track. Came in and as I was parking the car the ABS light came on. Couldn't get it off no matter what I tried. - Missed the next session
Ran the last session of the day with no ABS. Holy moly this car sucks to drive w/o it. I was still running around doing 1:41's but when the back end locks up and the motor stops turning going into 10a.. code brown!
On the way home my diff started clunking while driving at a constant speed.
/end horrible weekend.

2011-11-19174251.jpg
2011-11-23171424.jpg

Taking the car to the BMW dealership sometime to hook it up to their main computer system to fully diagnose the issues.

My lap times before things went wrong were FAST. Only 1.6seconds off NASA TTB lap record, and I don't have aero (which I can have to max me out in the points classifications)

List of things to do over the winter:

Xray cracked wheels and diagnose. Hopefully fixable.
Diagnose ABS problem. Possible a ribbon connector failed and I'll have to open up the ABS unit and solder some wires.
Remove audio harness & tidy up interior wiring.
Add/replace dual fuel pump
Pull diff & rebuild clutches. Hopefully it's just the clutches and nothing major.
Sell current shifter setup & replace with solid mounted version
Straighten SSR's and sell
Remove intake manifold and all associated hardware and put back together.
Have fuel injectors cleaned.
Remove front "splitter"
Paint front bumper if $$ allows.

Back