Camaro ZL1 Laps the Ring

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 laps Nürburgring in 7.41

chevrolet_camaro_zl1_628.jpg

It sounds like the good people at General Motors have been having some fun with their newest toy; the 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1. Jason Laird, executive director for product and technology communications at GM, tweeted that the meanest Camaro of them all managed to lap the Nurburgring in a scant 7:41.27.

If you're keeping track, that time puts the ZL1 in some pretty heady company. Hardware like the Porsche 911 GT3, Chevrolet Corvette ZR1, and the Audi R8 5.2 FSI have all done the deed slower, though perhaps not in the same conditions with the same driver. Regardless, it's fast.

Currently there's no word on who was behind the wheel during that mad dash around the track, but we have our fingers crossed for some suitably spectacular video sometime soon. Our hats go off to the suspension gurus at GM for an impressive effort.

update - video released

Yeah, I saw this today on Autoblog and Jalopnik. Pretty decent time for a car that heavy. Sounds like the new ZL1 is worthy of the original moniker that the '69 COPO Camaro and '69 Corvette that both used the aluminum 427 big block. From what I have read, Ford decided to ramp up the power on the 2013 Shelby GT500 to about 600 hp to meet the challenge. Reminds me of the good old days when GM, Ford and Chrysler were battling it out both in the showroom and on the racetrack.

• Staff
they just have to avoid getting hit with gas guzzler tax. With cafe standards going up up up, it's going to be ever pressing to keep mpg averages as high as possible

If I remember correctly, the last Z06 run around the ring was only a few seconds (3-4s) slower than the ZR-1. That uses the LS-7 normally aspirated 427 c.i. (505 HP at the crank).

There must have been some really nice currents and high tides to get that boat to turn that well.

• Staff
video released - inserted into post 1

As much as I like the new Camaro, its girth and avoirdupois make it a bloated pig as Ken so aptly said. I have read that the next Camaro will be designed on a lighter, smaller chassis, which would make sense given the CAFE and emissions standards coming up. I would really love to see the Camaro under 3,500 pounds if possible. Nissan showed that they could make a better Z that is smaller and lighter than the 350Z. I saw the video over at Autoblog and it is pretty cool.

Back