Can i trade in my ...

aaronMusngi

Torrance CA
Vehicle Model
LX
Body Style
Sedan
Hi 9thgencivic users. Can i trade my civic 2012 lx for the civic si even if not payed in full ?

And what is the pros and cons for doin this ?

You'd loose quite a bit of moola. Are you talking about a dealer trade-in? If you're able to, sell it private party. Recoup more of your losses that way. You're still stuck with whatever you'd have left on the loan, for a car you'd no longer have...

Basically you can trade it when ever you want, The con is, you'll be losing money normally by doing so, I think at least trying it under 2 years.
It's really a matter of numbers, all you'd need is someone that can put the numbers together, on how much you owe, and how much you'd owe after the trade, then break it down to how much more it's going to cost you a month for payments for the new one, then you'll know if you can afford to do the trade...... But you'll probably eat about $2000 ± doing it to early. As long as you know that, and can afford it, then it's just a matter of asking yourself how much do you want to trade right now, or just wait a couple of years.

Doing it now would be the worst time,there selling the 13 s lower so that means your car is less valuable for a trade,I would try to sell outright first and start over buying the si new,your going to pay tax over dealer costs etc...unless you owe significantly lower than actual value,I would stay away from it and wait until may.

I would have lost 5200 in payments,had to turn my audio back to stock,the price of tint and tinting again,and buying stock lights to keep my silver stars .id say about 6k,my gain would have been summer tires.at the time I had 5200 miles when the dealership proposed it to me,I wanted nav too,but they said they would split the difference,so a higher payment too.I don't believe in money down.in the end I'm glad I didn't, I'm not in your shoes since I own an si,so in the end it may be worth it for you,just didnt make since to me.

I actually did basically what the OP is suggesting. I had my 2012 Ex for I think it was 9 months, and traded for a 2013 Si. Granted, yes, I lost money, but all said it cost me a whole $50 more a month. My insurance (shockingly) actually went down by $16 per month and in terms of MPG, I do a lot of city driving, so the difference between the two cars was at most 5 MPG per tank.

This is a personal preference, but considering the upgrades made to the 2013 Civics, on top of the sheer fun of driving an Si, I would make my decision again in a heartbeat. I absolutely love my car.

So it's better to have a trade in 2-3 yrs ? i've checked the payments i made , it's like $2.5k so the value of my car is JUST FOR DOWN PAYMENT of the new vehicle ??

I'll try to see my dealer soon .

Thanks . I'm getting jealous by these SI's here , i want to mod my car like hell but i think it's not worth the price , Its just an LX . :(

So it's better to have a trade in 2-3 yrs ? i've checked the payments i made , it's like $2.5k so the value of my car is JUST FOR DOWN PAYMENT of the new vehicle ??

Thanks . I'm getting jealous by these SI's here , i want to mod my car like hell but i think it's not worth the price , Its just an LX . :(
Instead of giving up on your car until you get the Si , think about how long you're going to wait( 2 years?)(half a year?),
If it's 2-y's I'd own it and mod somethings that would look good to you, and make you feel better while driving, by personalizing it you'll enjoy owning it.
Think of it this way every time you buy a new car, for the rest of your life............ Each new year will not only have new cars or improvements to them, but will have things to draw the customer in to trade up. It's a great world if we all can afford to trade up every year, but that's not going to work for the average, so we need to learn to live with it, but most emportently be happy with what we choose, till we're ready to "give up" the one we have.
I just bought mine a year ago, and traded in my '94 Jeep for It, so about 18 - 19 years with one car. There's been times when I've traded in a couple of years.

Love what you "GOT" , till it's time to love another.

You're right . I'll keep this since honda last almost forever . I'm jus gonna buy a new car w/o trading my old .i just need my C score get recovered to be eligible to loan another car again.

Thanks for all the help ..

I don't want to be the devil's advocate here, but my thought pattern was the same as yours. I thought to myself, well I could always get nice seat covers, have a spoiler installed, change out my grille to the Si one, ect. So I could put a bunch of money into my Ex, all cosmetic changes for now, but in the end it'd still be an Ex. Instead I went down to see how much more it'd cost me and I decided that it would be worth the $50 more a month and I'd be perfectly happy with everything on the car.

As a side note, you can always refinance your car in a few years, wether you get the new one, or keep your Lx, just a friendly reminder.

I don't want to be the devil's advocate here, but my thought pattern was the same as yours. I thought to myself, well I could always get nice seat covers, have a spoiler installed, change out my grille to the Si one, ect. So I could put a bunch of money into my Ex, all cosmetic changes for now, but in the end it'd still be an Ex. Instead I went down to see how much more it'd cost me and I decided that it would be worth the $50 more a month and I'd be perfectly happy with everything on the car.

As a side note, you can always refinance your car in a few years, wether you get the new one, or keep your Lx, just a friendly reminder.

yea , i want a more faster look but in the end ,it still be JUST and LX . Probably Si is more worth to mod than LX or EX .

Having $50 plus a month is def worth the price. Im down .

i'll try if the dealer will grant me to swap for Si/ or FRS , if not then i'll keep my LX and just ignore the boring stuff with my car

I've unfortunately done this more times than I'd like to admit.

Basically you just trade in your car to the dealer, or sell it private party. But trying to find someone who wants to buy a car that has a loan on it is kind of hard. You'd get more money selling it privately but trading it in is a hell of a lot quicker, and you pay less in taxes on the new car (Ex: Your trade in is worth $14,000 and an Si is costing your $25,000, you only pay taxes on the $11,000 difference).

If you owe more on the car than the dealer is going to give you for a trade, then that difference will be added into your Si loan. So if you owe $16,000 on the car and you trade it for $14,000 for an Si, you'll have an extra $2,000 plus taxes tacked onto your final price.

It's usually not a good thing. I went backwards on my last car when I traded in my G37s, and now I'm trading in again to get an Si. I'm leasing this time though, leasing is a great way to get rid of that negative equity on your car.

Back