Can't get dash lights to dim when headlights are on

bowler13joe

Upstate New York
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
Does anyone know how to enable this feature? I can't get the dash lights to dim when turning the headlights on. The manual says how to disable it (turn knob all the way right til it beeps), but not to how re-enable it. Frustrating!

2013 Si Sedan btw

Last edited:
Turning the knob counter clockwise and clockwise will alter the brightness up and down.

I did that. But, even if I set the brightness to two different levels, one level with the headlights off, and a different level for when the lights are on, it won't switch between the two. It just stays at a constant level no matter if the headlights are on or off. I can't seem to figure it out. Unless my sensor is broken, or something. It always worked in my '12 :hmmm?:

so if you set it to 1 bar down from max brightness, it doesn't change when you switch the lights on/off?

Nope, it just stays at whatever it was at when I turn the lights on/off. Example: If I set the brightness to medium when the lights are on, then change the brightness to one below max when the lights are off; then turn the lights back on, it stays at one below max. It's always constant.

My other honda vehicles don't do this... but I have no way to test this on a 9th gen. Someone else will need to chime in on what may be happening

Did you try it when it's dark out? If it's bright out, the light sensor can keep the instrument panel on the daytime (brightest) setting even if the headlights are on. Try covering the sensor or waiting til it's dark and adjusting the instrument panel again

I'll try that when it gets dark. If that's the case, that's awesome! Nice feature haha. I'll let you know how I make out

Did you try it when it's dark out? If it's bright out, the light sensor can keep the instrument panel on the daytime (brightest) setting even if the headlights are on. Try covering the sensor or waiting til it's dark and adjusting the instrument panel again

Lmao I'm an idiot. You were right about it doing it automatically in the dark. I love all of these little features they added without mentioning them! The 3-blink thing on the turn signals, and now this. So neat haha. I feel spoiled even coming from a '12. Honda has really stepped up their game, even more so now with the '14. Thanks for the help, guys. I appreciate it.

I have a 2012 civic HF and it does the same... The brightness of the dash lights does not change regardless if it is day or night. It seems like it is always dim as if I have my headlights on all the time. During the day it is really hard to see the dash. When I first got the car when I would turn the lights on the dash lights would dim as they should. The brightness is turned all the way up with the lights off and all the way with the lights on. I also checked some fuses and they all look good. Any thoughts?

Back