Cincinnati impounding cars with oversize wheels

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
Cincinnati impounding cars with oversize wheels

rims.jpg

Cincinnati residents who enjoy a higher view of the road thanks to oversized wheels are having their vehicles impounded by the Cincinnati police who only return them after an inspection, saying rims are suddenly a safety issue.

Why the law enforcers of WKRP-land decided chrome spinners were menacing the populace more than a decade after they became popular isn't known; city officials have yet to explain the reasoning behind the move. Owners say the crackdown came without warning, and that if a vehicle doesn't pass a city inspection, the owner must pay an impound fee, a fine and hire a tow truck to haul it out of the city lot.

Why the law enforcers of WKRP-land decided chrome spinners were menacing the populace more than a decade after they became popular isn't known; city officials have yet to explain the reasoning behind the move. Owners say the crackdown came without warning, and that if a vehicle doesn't pass a city inspection, the owner must pay an impound fee, a fine and hire a tow truck to haul it out of the city lot.

It's here where one has to mention Cincinnati's history of ill will between police and black residents, a relationship that's reportedly healing after 2001 riots. Know what could sustain those improvements? Explaining decisions rather than making unannounced shifts in enforcement that leave people without transportation. Anything else is just spinning.

• Staff
could have sworn I saw you rollin' a few days ago

logo_232_738445.jpg

you sell?

Blatant racism - obviously.

I think they look ridiculous, but that's my opinion.

I think it's one of the dumbest automotive fads ever...right up there with the herra frush retards, but you know what they say "One man's Picasso is another man's pre school refrigerator art". If that even makes sense. :pat:

• Staff
Update:

Marcus Jones got his car back from the Cincinnati police impound lot Tuesday.
Why it was taken in the first place made him furious.
"You had no business taking my car for no reason," he says of the police.
Jones and two other drivers complained to Channel 9 that they had been ordered out of their cars, and left to find a way home while their vehicles were towed away.
They were told it was because their oversized rims made the cars "unroadworthy."
Cincinnati police spokesperson Danita Kilgore says that's exactly right. "Somebody could end up dead," she said.

Kilgore says the big wheels are not a proper fit for cars that come from the factory, and that the bolts holding the wheel to the axle could sheer off.

"The wheel could come off of the car," she said. "It could fly up and hit another car."
Jones has to pay over $800 for the impound, towing, the citation itself, and a $238 inspection fee.
A mechanic examined the car, and his report says he found a lot wrong besides the rims.
The inspection document says the brakes of Jones' 1988 Cadillac were installed backwards, and that the catalytic converter had been cut off.
"There are certain criteria that (a) vehicle has to meet in order to make it safe and roadworthy," said Kilgore.

Jones complains that brakes and the converter were not why his car was taken last Thursday. He also says his privacy was violated.
"They ransacked my car looking for drugs or guns or something," he said. "I'm not no damn drug dealer."
Kilgore says the police are legally authorized and required to search an impounded car without a warrant, even if it's locked.

"That car, that glove compartment, that trunk is going to be searched," she said.
When asked if a driver can remove his belongings before his car is taken, Kilgore declined to answer.
"Now you're getting into a different issue," she said. "Now you're talking about search and seizure. That has nothing to do with wheels. I'm not going to go there."

Back