Civic Si against the competition?

That makes me feel better about my decision. You won't ever own another VW?

That makes me feel better about my decision. You won't ever own another VW?
I will never own another VW, nor will anyone in my family or any of my friends! I got rid of it (my Jetta) 2 years ago and I am still being bugged by all my friends about it! Stilletto is right on about the codes - it got so bad at the end that even the dealer said "don't bother clearing the codes - it will just cost you more money and we don't have a clue what is causing it."

I was considering the SER spec-v, which has very similar specs and price, but it is just so ugly...I couldn't get over how ugly it was

Wanted to test drive one when I bought the Si but reading the reliability reviews by owners not official sources made me change my mind fast. I also could not find any in a dealer in sep 2012.

Anyone have experience with the Mini Cooper S? I'm guessing it's in the same price and power bracket. I think they look too gaudy, but my soon to be wife expects me to buy her one lol.

Anyone have experience with the Mini Cooper S? I'm guessing it's in the same price and power bracket. I think they look too gaudy, but my soon to be wife expects me to buy her one lol.

Nice cars, handle like a go kart more or less. Sadly i have seen it many times as an example of what not to buy. Transmission issues are common with them also expensive since they're BMWs i guess that is enough of a reason for them. Base Mini is way slower than an Si though, the sportier ones are again slower than what you can buy for the money.

So really the only competitively priced car to consider is the Scion FRS. Since you really lose a lot of features going with a still more expensive base model GTI. And a base WRX is a good choice.

So really the only competitively priced car to consider is the Scion FRS.

Depends what you look for. Scion is the stiff competition if you look for a naturally aspirated nice handling coupe in the Si price range in my opinion. If you need a Sedan than Si is even more enticing.

I like Minis, just not a wise purchase, I would buy one for sure if money was no object. Style wise I think it is alone in its class in North America, it is a small low to the ground kart like vehicle. Many love their looks as well.

Most of the minis I'm seeing at dealerships by me run around $32k.

pull up autotrader and do a search for new minis in like a 100 miles from your location. With normal option packages, the cooper S (which has 181hp) runs around that price.

That was my problem when I was looking around. It was either too expensive for what it was or underpowered or because I didnt trust the reliability of the vehicle. Its slim pickings out there.

My brother had 2 VW. One GTI and one Jetta. The GTI was nice , fast and handled well. Unfortunately it spent alot of time at the dealer before it was traded. Jetta spent its fair share getting fixed as well. My brother in law just got a 2013 tdi golf. So far so good. He is getting mid 40 mpgs. too bad the tdi is very expensive.

Yeah see it feels like Honda is really the only way to go if you want to avoid a lot of repairs on the future.

I have loved every single one of my Hondas I think the only thing I would ever consider over it is an Sti which is out of my price range anyway. But I have been thinking about getting a late 90s legacy wagon as a little project ;)

I currently own an '08 Eclipse GS as a daily. Bought it as a backup for when my DSM was under the knife for long periods of time, but now it's my only form of transportation. This things never given me a problem, and if there was more aftermarket support, I'd probably keep it. Sucks you can't slam it without camber issues, as there are no kits available.

Newer VWs do not share all of the same reliability woes as VWs of the past did. They have gotten A LOT better. Mk6 GTIs are very nice cars and can be made quick for relatively cheap. Couple that with the best interior in its class and you really can't go wrong.

Just curious, but what features did the Si you get have that the base GTI didn't? My friend has a base 2012 GTI and it has a lot more features than my base Si has (granted, it is an 07 lol)

Newer VWs do not share all of the same reliability woes as VWs of the past did. They have gotten A LOT better. Mk6 GTIs are very nice cars and can be made quick for relatively cheap. Couple that with the best interior in its class and you really can't go wrong.

Just curious, but what features did the Si you get have that the base GTI didn't? My friend has a base 2012 GTI and it has a lot more features than my base Si has (granted, it is an 07 lol)

For me it was 2 main issues that I have to have with almost any vehicle I buy. It may sound stupid, but the base GTI has no sun roof and no steering wheel controls at all. However it does have heated seats, and other nifty things. The Si also has a way better stereo than the base GTI. The other factor for me was the price. They wanted way more for a base GTI.

For me it was 2 main issues that I have to have with almost any vehicle I buy. It may sound stupid, but the base GTI has no sun roof and no steering wheel controls at all. However it does have heated seats, and other nifty things. The Si also has a way better stereo than the base GTI. The other factor for me was the price. They wanted way more for a base GTI.

Yeah, I know the sun roof isn't a standard VW option. I'm actually quite the opposite and wish it wasn't standard on the Si lol I normally only use mine to cool the car off. I did not know that about the steering wheel controls though. I guess I never noticed.

That is strange they wanted so much more for the GTI though, when the vehicles are priced so closely together.

Back