Cleaning dirty headlights

Modifier
Chicago
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
After a couple years the plastic on my headlights is getting very dirty and foggy. I know there are many products and even some unconventional methods to clean headlights (like toothpaste apparently?)

Has anyone had a good experience with a certain product or method?

No matter what method you use, the real issue is re-coating them afterwards. The factory UV resistant layer is what wears off and then you get the yellowing The only thing that has saved my set, and they look dang good for being almost 10 years old, is Optimum Opti-Lens coating.

If you're going to invest the time in polishing out your lenses get the proper coating after. It's seriously expensive but it worked great for me and has lasted very very well.

https://optimumcarcare.com/product/optimum-opti-lens-coating

I would recommend just buffing out your lenses with standard paint polishing stuff but finish it down with some real fine grade finishing polish and soft pads.

Jetseal is pretty good stuff. I think most of those "kits" contain a finishing product with a decent amount of UV inhibitors. I just know they all usually tend to fade a lot faster than the factory stuff. But, I do think prep work is going to make a major difference. I would suspect the kit they used has a better finishing product but the prep is worse and the 4 step buff they did for the jet seal side is making that stuff work great.

So I like chemical guys stuff but I would definitely take that vid with a grain of salt. For ease of use and not having to buy multiple super expensive products like the optimum lens stuff I mentioned I would try the jet seal.

Clean and buff the lenses really well no matter what you use and I bet it will last. Wipedown with isopropyl alcohol diluted properly so it's clean and you'll get a good bond.

I think the toothpaste trick is for old beaters and 90's GM garbage. hahaha

Back