Clutch Died

GSquared

Boca Raton, Florida
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
So, sometimes bad things happen. This week has been pretty bad so far. Found out the place that did the work on my turbo is no longer in business on Friday, then today my clutch decides to smell like burning and will slip at even the lightest pressure on the gas pedal and will barely go in gear. It is a sad day, can't even drive the car at the moment.

I had the FX350 from CM. So since that lasted about....2.5k miles if that, I was thinking about getting a different clutch but I figured I would ask here first about a couple things.

First off, that would be a correct diagnosis so far of the clutch dying right?

Secondly, does anyone know if I would need a new flywheel if I have the lightweight one from the FX350 if I go with a different brand clutch?

Thridly, clutch suggestions? I know the CC Stg 4 Puck one was popular in the turbo kits. Just wondering if anyone had one that was a dream to have and couldn't live without.

Thanks for your help and hope everyone else's Civic is doing well!

I'm guessing that as long as you're using your clutch correctly, and still frying your clutch, than you need a stronger clutch spring.

I'm guessing that as long as you're using your clutch correctly, and still frying your clutch, than you need a stronger clutch spring.

Yeah I fried (I'm assuming? -- Questions above still stand) it in about 2.5k miles. Just went bad today. Probably going to have to step up from the FX350's strength then.

@FooBird had a clutch problem and recently had it repaired. He may be able to shed some insight on this matter.

Awesome, hopefully he can chime in. Also, my hood paint appeared to have peeled/bubbled in two spots after this which is very odd. It's not like I was racing the thing for it to get hot at all when this happened...

I had a throwout bearing go...or at least that's what they replaced. Some of the 2012 Si's are getting squeaky clutches and some people are getting new clutch assemblies, throwout bearings, replaced clutch springs, etc.

No mods or having that symptom of the clutch not grabbing. Just that it made a god awful sound when I let off the clutch from a stop.

I had a throwout bearing go...or at least that's what they replaced. Some of the 2012 Si's are getting squeaky clutches and some people are getting new clutch assemblies, throwout bearings, replaced clutch springs, etc.

No mods or having that symptom of the clutch not grabbing. Just that it made a god awful sound when I let off the clutch from a stop.

Ah, alright. Yeah clutch is literally just not grabbing. I barely made it home yesterday. Sounded like I was racing the engine when all I wanted to do was go above 20mph :(

The petal also feels like pure butter. I can take my foot and put the clutch petal to the floor and completely take my foot off and it's like nothing happened until it catches like 5 seconds later or so.

Bump for answer to 2+3 :D Trying to get a new one asap, just waiting on some advise (rental car in the meantime is expensive!)

I would totally talk to prl since you have their kit. They would prob have the most experience with what 8th users and others run without issue.

I would totally talk to prl since you have their kit. They would prob have the most experience with what 8th users and others run without issue.

I sent them an email about it 3 days ago, and I just realized I sent it to the wrong address. :( Just corrected that and hope to hear from them tomorrow as well.

EDIT: Denis from PRL has been super helpful all day, another testament to the PRL team being awesome as usual!

EDIT2: Just bought the CC Stage 4 6 Puck Sprung with Lightweight Flywheel. Hopefully will get it installed right when it gets here if I can find somewhere to do it!

Last edited:
Back