clutch replacement.

Yep, depends heavily on operator driving habits.
I currently have 125K miles on the OEM clutch in my 2014 FB6.
Before this, I had nearly 300K miles on the stock clutch in my 2001 Civic EX (traded it in on the 2014 FB6).

Yeah. I just rewatched the second video and you're right it's hard to notice. I'm gonna go to the dealership tomorrow and update the thread when I get back.

I did think of one other thing though. My left front axle started making a clicking noise months ago. The Honda tech told me it eventually needed to be replaced. Just not any time soon because the clicking noise just started. Is this an opportune time to have it done? Do they need to remove the axle to replace the clutch?

Last edited:
Yes, you have to remove the axles to replace the clutch. So, if it is already out, might as well replace it if you know it is bad; you may save a little in labor costs that way (depends on how the dealer does the billing).

OK i went to the dealership today and drove around with the tech. He said that noise I hear when first starting out is definitely the throw-out bearing. The second noise, the one that I heard while I was in gear sounded like an exhaust rattle. So he put a new clamp in and fixed that second noise. They quoted me $2,500 to do the clutch. That's roughly $1,000 in parts and $1,500 in labor. They claim it's a 10-13 hour job. I wonder why their estimate for parts are so high? I found all the OEM parts online for about $750 and that's including the flywheel. The $1000 estimate they gave me was with them resurfacing the flywheel. Either way I figure since the throw-out bearing doesn't seem to be getting worst, I'll just ride it out for now. Still not sure if it's worth the extra $700 to get the job done at the dealership though. A shop nearby me, who specializes in transmission work, that everyone recommended me to and has good ratings only wanted to charge me $800. I might call them and see if they have any type of warranty on their work.

regardless I'm going to need a clutch, front left axle and I was thinking of getting a hasport rear motor mount too. I've heard that replacing the stock motor mount in the rear helps the car shift better. Can anyone recommend one for me? I know there's different types of hasport mounts that fit. I'm just curious about which one was the best. I've heard some have a vibration issue when the AC is on. I was thinking of getting the 70A model.

OK i went to the dealership today and drove around with the tech. He said that noise I hear when first starting out is definitely the throw-out bearing. The second noise, the one that I heard while I was in gear sounded like an exhaust rattle. So he put a new clamp in and fixed that second noise. They quoted me $2,500 to do the clutch. That's roughly $1,000 in parts and $1,500 in labor. They claim it's a 10-13 hour job. I wonder why their estimate for parts are so high? I found all the OEM parts online for about $750 and that's including the flywheel. The $1000 estimate they gave me was with them resurfacing the flywheel. Either way I figure since the throw-out bearing doesn't seem to be getting worst, I'll just ride it out for now. Still not sure if it's worth the extra $700 to get the job done at the dealership though. A shop nearby me, who specializes in transmission work, that everyone recommended me to and has good ratings only wanted to charge me $800. I might call them and see if they have any type of warranty on their work.

regardless I'm going to need a clutch, front left axle and I was thinking of getting a hasport rear motor mount too. I've heard that replacing the stock motor mount in the rear helps the car shift better. Can anyone recommend one for me? I know there's different types of hasport mounts that fit. I'm just curious about which one was the best. I've heard some have a vibration issue when the AC is on. I was thinking of getting the 70A model.
The pricing you’re seeing on places like collegehillshonda/hondaparts are discounted from msrp. If you ask the dealer you’re at, they may price match the parts for you. Some dealers won’t. You just need to ask to see. Another option is buying the parts yourself online (if they won’t price match) and then just paying them labor.

I have 2015 si 27k miles bought last year on 6/18/18 so not even a year yet as I post this and I have this terrible first gear/incline grind noise. Done enough searching on forums to know that it’s either dampening springs in clutch disk where others say ToB. Now I have a certified preowned warranty 7yr/100k my question is if anyone can help: if I get Honda to replace the entire assembly wit the SAME OE parts, will I have the same problem again In another 30k if I DONT get the hasport rear motor mount? I will be getting the RMM regardless for quality of life but if the clutch is just defective, who can recommend a good clutch and flywheel combo for currently stock, bolt ons in the future

Yep, depends heavily on operator driving habits.
I currently have 125K miles on the OEM clutch in my 2014 FB6.
Before this, I had nearly 300K miles on the stock clutch in my 2001 Civic EX (traded it in on the 2014 FB6).
Gee someone who knows how to use a clutch, that is rarer than anything:omg:

I have 2015 si 27k miles bought last year on 6/18/18 so not even a year yet as I post this and I have this terrible first gear/incline grind noise. Done enough searching on forums to know that it’s either dampening springs in clutch disk where others say ToB. Now I have a certified preowned warranty 7yr/100k my question is if anyone can help: if I get Honda to replace the entire assembly wit the SAME OE parts, will I have the same problem again In another 30k if I DONT get the hasport rear motor mount? I will be getting the RMM regardless for quality of life but if the clutch is just defective, who can recommend a good clutch and flywheel combo for currently stock, bolt ons in the future
There are theories that there were some defective springs that made it into some vehicles. Others who’ve had theirs replaced haven’t said anything about it happening again. There were only ....I don’t know, maybe 4 or so people here that had them replaced?

There are theories that there were some defective springs that made it into some vehicles. Others who’ve had theirs replaced haven’t said anything about it happening again. There were only ....I don’t know, maybe 4 or so people here that had them replaced?
Okay true, the forums I’ve looked at were all on this site. I haven’t been to a dealer or anything at all since this issue is still about a month old. I’ve done spirited driving Only up to about parkway speed, banged the limiter once since I’ve had it and by accident. I just wanna be prepared to fight with my dealer because with this common issue amongst the 9th community, I’m comforted knowing it’s not my “driving habits” as they will potentially say. Trying to build a defense if needed

I have a 2012 Civic si coupe. When I bought it used it had about 74k miles on it. It also had a nasty noise when I would screw up shifting in first and sometimes second gear. The dealership told me it was the throwout bearing and it wouldn't be worth replacing yet because the clutch still had allot of life left in it.

Well I think that life is coming to and end. It's starting to make that noise now in higher gears and more often. It's also starting to make the noise when I'm within certain rpms, just in gear letting off the gas (mostly at higher rpms) it almost sounds like an exhaust rattle. But I'm pretty sure it's the throwout bearing.

I was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction on which clutch kit to buy. I'm not going to be racing this car and I'm not looking to buy a hondata just yet. I was hoping to have something as close to the stock clutch as I could get. I don't need anything too fancy. I went to hondapartsnow and they wanted close to 6 or 700 bucks for an OEM replacement. The dealership wants just over 2k to do the replacement. That's why I'm hoping to find an aftermaket clutch as close to OEM as possible and pay a mechanic I trust to do the work. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Would this clutch work?

Clutch Masters® - FX250 Clutch Kit

I mean would that work without having to flash with hondata? Is there a more cost effective option available?

I attached an image of what I found for OEM clutch parts and flywheel. Total cost is around $740.
save your dough and get any else but the dealer to install it and put a OEM clutch, your not making extra power so OEM is the way to go!

You are not having enough fun with the car. :D :tongue:
I know!!!! I’m just worried about this issue the other day shifting was notchy and abnormal, I heard the first gear noise and it was butter for the rest of the drive. Now that I’m trying to feather it and save it I feel as if I’m doing the opposite. Driving stick for 7 years now I know how to operate properly, but this is taking the FUN out of my daily. I have many ideas for the car but I want to upgrade wear and tear items to ease the anxiety

Hey 9th Gen Owners or Buyers, i currently have a 2015 Civic Si with roughly 107,600 miles, so I don't really know what happened but for some reason I don't know why I can't get the 02 sensor and the catalytic converter out of not ready mode i really don't know what else to do, then after trying to use cataclean, nothing happened, then I put my old stock air intake box in and took out the K&N Cold Air Intake, and I also did my oil change and used a engine cleaner and a fuel system cleaner after replacing the oil, so after I put the stock intake back on my car started to hesitate with power in almost all the gears, I mean it goes but I can't push the gas down to force it cause it just revs and tries to catch itself but it doesn't until I let the gas go real quick and push the gas again and then it drops the revs a little so it not so high like the first time when I change gears so i decided to put the cold air intake back on and it wasn't as bad of a strain like the stock one but i just don't know what caused this and if it's my transmission or clutch that's going out. I'm not sure why it's doing this and the only thing I can think it might be is the clutch is going out and it needs to be replaced but I don't see any smoke when I rev and it still goes but it's struggling. Can anyone give me any clues to what this might be or what's causing it. Also wanted to add that it struggling to catch the gearshift and revs high until I let the gas go to let it catch itself then the car goes but still is ruff. Please get back to me thks.

I have a 2012 Civic si coupe. When I bought it used it had about 74k miles on it. It also had a nasty noise when I would screw up shifting in first and sometimes second gear. The dealership told me it was the throwout bearing and it wouldn't be worth replacing yet because the clutch still had allot of life left in it.

Well I think that life is coming to and end. It's starting to make that noise now in higher gears and more often. It's also starting to make the noise when I'm within certain rpms, just in gear letting off the gas (mostly at higher rpms) it almost sounds like an exhaust rattle. But I'm pretty sure it's the throwout bearing.

I was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction on which clutch kit to buy. I'm not going to be racing this car and I'm not looking to buy a hondata just yet. I was hoping to have something as close to the stock clutch as I could get. I don't need anything too fancy. I went to hondapartsnow and they wanted close to 6 or 700 bucks for an OEM replacement. The dealership wants just over 2k to do the replacement. That's why I'm hoping to find an aftermaket clutch as close to OEM as possible and pay a mechanic I trust to do the work. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Would this clutch work?

Clutch Masters® - FX250 Clutch Kit

I mean would that work without having to flash with hondata? Is there a more cost effective option available?

I attached an image of what I found for OEM clutch parts and flywheel. Total cost is around $740.
You should check out rockauto.com they have some really nice prices and are very useful and have everything you'll need.

Back