Coilcovers or Springs

Steven Minser

I was talking with my Buddy, and I told him that I was going to have my car lowered at some point. I told him that I was going to get coilcovers, he told me it would be a waste of money and just replace the springs since it's a new car with new suspension. I have no idea if this is actually the case or not, can someone explain the differences in the two, and the
advantages and disadvantages. This is the coilcovers I was thinking about getting.

Thanks

http://www.procivic.com/pages-produ...aign=product&gclid=CPTz3pKi6cMCFQaSaQodrYgAtA

it all depends on what you want to do to your car honestly. Many coilover systems out now will give you adjustable dampening to where you can tune the way your car rides to your liking. also with Coilovers you can adjust your ride height in case you want to go lower.. Most springs now a days don't do much performance wise unless you go with a tein spring or something similar. they don't drop you as much and if they're too hard or soft when you ride on them you can't change that.

I would go for the coilovers because eventually with springs, your shocks are going to bottom out and you'll be spending around the same, if not more, money than the coilovers

Hope this helped.

I wouldn't recommend stock shocks and lowering springs. Koni will release their shocks for 2014+ Si probably sometime this year. For springs I would suggest getting Eibach Pro Kit or H&R. If you want coilovers then get Buddy Club N+. I wish that KW would make V2 coilovers for our cars, but I doubt this will ever happen.

No snow/salt, so I'd go with coil overs.
Like Michal said. ^^^. Springs are less expensive in the short term, but stock shocks with those springs won't last too long. Probably 2 years or so and then you will have to replace them with Koni shocks which means more money and downtime. Better to do it right the first time and pay a few extra dollars.

If I were to replace the shocks with the coilcovers, what can I do with the shocks off the car?
I just bought a set for my LX. A non-Si owner might buy them. I paid $200 for all.
That being said, you may want to hang onto them for when you sell your car and change it back to stock. Stock cars seem to sell easier. You should be able to sell the coil overs afterwards too.

Yep, I have a pile of parts I've taken off... Of course I'll likely be too lazy to ever put them back on...

Excellent conversation pieces for the living room or bathroom...or both.

Back